The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Ellis wants back up job with Canucks.

vancanfan

I don't want us to have to rely on guys like Theodore, Ellis and Huet if Schneider plays badly and doesn't cope well with 60-70 games which is a VERY likely outcome.

Keep Luongo or this team is going to go through some dark times with 2 struggling goalies. We've got something good here, don't tamper with it MG. Better to have 2 great goalies working a tandem perfectly at 9 million than a "starting goalie" struggling with a heavy workload and a backup who has moved around the league because he's so terrible for 6 million.

Because he hasn't been a full time starting goalie for 3 years now, and has been a backup for about 3 years, so his work load has dropped big time from when he played in the AHL. Being a starting goalie in the NHL is a lot different then being a starting goalie in the AHL, and not being a starting goalie for 3 years now will affect him one way or another. I believe the fatigue will catch up to him after about 35-40 games. He wont be having these 6-10 game breaks like he has been as a back up, he will be playing 6-10 games straight and it will take him time to get used to it again, obviously not right away, but 35-40 games in, it will start to catch up to him. This is a learning experience for Cory this year, he will learn a lot being a starting goalie, things he will find out he never knew, but these things will make him just that much of a better goalie in the future. I really hope Cory does well and I do believe he has the ability to be really great, just am I expecting him to be the best goalie in the league in his first year as a starting goalie? no, I believe in time he could easily be, but not in his first year as a starting goalie. Like I said it's a learning experience now for Cory, and he will struggle at times, but these are things he will learn from, but when that does happen CDC will be in a panic.

I don't want us to have to rely on guys like Theodore, Ellis and Huet if Schneider plays badly and doesn't cope well with 60-70 games which is a VERY likely outcome.

Keep Luongo or this team is going to go through some dark times with 2 struggling goalies. We've got something good here, don't tamper with it MG. Better to have 2 great goalies working a tandem perfectly at 9 million than a "starting goalie" struggling with a heavy workload and a backup who has moved around the league because he's so terrible for 6 million.

The guy has a fantastic attitude! If the Canucks do not acquire a backup in a Luongo trade, I'd love to sign him. He seems like he genuinely knows his role and isn't out to compete with the starter, rather he just wants to help the guy ahead of him get better while filling in for him when needed. Perfect attitude for a backup. Really positive. I'm a fan.

I usually love your posts even if I don't agree with them because you actually think things out logically instead of getting emotional and negative. This post was different. I don't think this team will go through "dark times" with Cory as the starter and Luongo gone. I do think it's going to be very hard on Schnieder if he has to play 70 games plus a full playoff run though. I think if we want to have a smooth run in any way, shape or form we need to get a backup through trade or FA that can play at least 20 games.

Archived