The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Solution to our offensive woes. What is it?

L'Orange

What is the solution to our offensive woes?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So......the Canucks signed Jason Garrison to a six year deal, which may go a long way to solving our defensive issues.

Our offense has not changed though. While we do have elite forwards like the Sedins and Kesler (also Burrows, Hansen, and supposedly Booth could be), our offensive output is lacking at times. It has seemed especially lacking during the the Stanely Cup Final against the Bruins and last years run against the Kings.

Yes those were BIG teams with amazing goaltenders, but aren't the Canucks a great team with amazing goaltending?

Where do the forward corps problems lie? And what must be done to fix them?

Guest AriGold

My big worry is who will be the 2nd linc center to start the season ? We have all the average wingers we need.

Higging, Booth, Raymond

But no Center..

I think our problems aren't the players we have, it's the system they are being made to play in. It needs to be changed. Every team has figured out how to play against us: take away the breakout pass, force us to chip-and-chase, and then be really aggressive on the backcheck. It's shutting our offense down in a big way. That's what the Kings did, that's what the Bruins did, that's what a lot of teams during the regular season did.

That's why we ended up with some of our star players on huge scoring droughts.. couldn't build any pressure in the offensive zone, because our offensive strategy was being crushed. AV has been a great coach for us, but I really think we need to bring someone else in, just to change up the system if he won't.

I think our problems aren't the players we have, it's the system they are being made to play in. It needs to be changed. Every team has figured out how to play against us: take away the breakout pass, force us to chip-and-chase, and then be really aggressive on the backcheck. It's shutting our offense down in a big way. That's what the Kings did, that's what the Bruins did, that's what a lot of teams during the regular season did.

That's why we ended up with some of our star players on huge scoring droughts.. couldn't build any pressure in the offensive zone, because our offensive strategy was being crushed. AV has been a great coach for us, but I really think we need to bring someone else in, just to change up the system if he won't.

Offensive woes? We've finished 2nd, 1st and 5th in scoring the last 3 years. We've scored more goals than any other team in that span. Yet somehow we have "offensive woes" because we got shutdown by the Conn Smyth winner in 1 5-game series?

Your options missed out on the coaching.

AV has one approach: cautious, defensive, dump and chase and let the Sedins cycle. He is not a gambler and the other teams know his system.

The players try to play in his system and hope their talent level and work ethic will make the difference.

Coach needs to change his tactics and not be so predictible. He needs several tactics and he needs to make changes when one of them isn't working. His stubborness will never allow the Canucks to win a Stanley.

I regret that he has gotten himself a contract extention for 3 years, about the time of our window for Lord Stanley.

get mean players with a lot of grit and heart. We need playoff performers (like raffi, but maybe not raffi himself... not that I would mind if we got him again). We need players who are grinders with a lot of offensive upside. Doan would be one of them. Kassian could develop into one. Believe it or not, the Sedins showed a lot of grit in the Kings series especially hank. Booth could very well be a good player for us in the playoffs and he has showed promise in his first playoff game ever (I can't get the hit on Doughty out of my head --> big enough to be compared to the Big Bang). I don't know why people are hating on him, he's a great power forward with lots of speed and explosive energy, and an amazing shot. Don't underestimate the things he will do for us this year.

So......the Canucks signed Jason Garrison to a six year deal, which may go a long way to solving our defensive issues.

Our offense has not changed though. While we do have elite forwards like the Sedins and Kesler (also Burrows, Hansen, and supposedly Booth could be), our offensive output is lacking at times. It has seemed especially lacking during the the Stanely Cup Final against the Bruins and last years run against the Kings.

Yes those were BIG teams with amazing goaltenders, but aren't the Canucks a great team with amazing goaltending?

Where do the forward corps problems lie? And what must be done to fix them?

Archived