Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

The Solution to our offensive woes. What is it?

Speculation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

Poll: What is the solution to our offensive woes? (103 member(s) have cast votes)

What needs to be done to increase our offensive output (goals) especially come playoff time?

1. Go the UFA route and get whomever will take the hometown discount (21 votes [11.48%])

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

2. Trade for top end talent to play with the Sedins, preferably a big power forward (24 votes [13.11%])

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

3. Trade for a playmaking winger to play with Kesler (59 votes [32.24%])

Percentage of vote: 32.24%

4. Utilize our prospects and inject some youth into our offensive core (36 votes [19.67%])

Percentage of vote: 19.67%

5. Stand pat and hope for the best.......? (8 votes [4.37%])

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

6. Sign or trade for larger meaner players (12 votes [6.56%])

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

7. A different coaching strategy that hasn't become predictable to the other 29 teams in the league (23 votes [12.57%])

Percentage of vote: 12.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

So......the Canucks signed Jason Garrison to a six year deal, which may go a long way to solving our defensive issues.

Our offense has not changed though. While we do have elite forwards like the Sedins and Kesler (also Burrows, Hansen, and supposedly Booth could be), our offensive output is lacking at times. It has seemed especially lacking during the the Stanely Cup Final against the Bruins and last years run against the Kings.

Yes those were BIG teams with amazing goaltenders, but aren't the Canucks a great team with amazing goaltending?

Where do the forward corps problems lie? And what must be done to fix them?

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 12 July 2012 - 12:39 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Trade for a playmaker to play with Kesler.

2pzbeb6.jpg

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

#3 Guest_AriGold_*

Guest_AriGold_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

My big worry is who will be the 2nd linc center to start the season ? We have all the average wingers we need.

Higging, Booth, Raymond

But no Center..

#4 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'd like to see us get smarter fans that stop thinking one player will fix anything when what we need is more contribution from the entire bottom 6.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#5 Urethra_Franklin

Urethra_Franklin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'd like to see us get smarter fans that stop thinking one player will fix anything when what we need is more contribution from the entire bottom 6.

I'd like to see the revolving door of wingers for Kesler stop. We need a solidified top 6. Bottom 6 is the least of our worries...
Posted Image

#6 kesler_is_clutch

kesler_is_clutch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Coho

#7 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

I think our problems aren't the players we have, it's the system they are being made to play in. It needs to be changed. Every team has figured out how to play against us: take away the breakout pass, force us to chip-and-chase, and then be really aggressive on the backcheck. It's shutting our offense down in a big way. That's what the Kings did, that's what the Bruins did, that's what a lot of teams during the regular season did.

That's why we ended up with some of our star players on huge scoring droughts.. couldn't build any pressure in the offensive zone, because our offensive strategy was being crushed. AV has been a great coach for us, but I really think we need to bring someone else in, just to change up the system if he won't.

#8 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Doan, Schroeder, depth signings

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#9 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Rick Nash -_-

10122810.jpg

#10 The_Schwartz

The_Schwartz

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Coho

Where is the minus when you need it.
"Our playoff sex, uh, I mean success is much better than our regular season success...er.."-
~Marc Crawford

#11 The_Schwartz

The_Schwartz

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

I think our problems aren't the players we have, it's the system they are being made to play in. It needs to be changed. Every team has figured out how to play against us: take away the breakout pass, force us to chip-and-chase, and then be really aggressive on the backcheck. It's shutting our offense down in a big way. That's what the Kings did, that's what the Bruins did, that's what a lot of teams during the regular season did.

That's why we ended up with some of our star players on huge scoring droughts.. couldn't build any pressure in the offensive zone, because our offensive strategy was being crushed. AV has been a great coach for us, but I really think we need to bring someone else in, just to change up the system if he won't.

I think you are on to something here, I hope this isn't the case in the long run though because it is obviously the hardest thing to change.
"Our playoff sex, uh, I mean success is much better than our regular season success...er.."-
~Marc Crawford

#12 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Where is the minus when you need it.

What minus?
Posted Image

#13 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

One more above average top 6 forward outta do it

#14 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Offensive woes? We've finished 2nd, 1st and 5th in scoring the last 3 years. We've scored more goals than any other team in that span. Yet somehow we have "offensive woes" because we got shutdown by the Conn Smyth winner in 1 5-game series?

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#15 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,907 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

Coho

Gillis would have to stock up on cheese....

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#16 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,907 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Offensive woes? We've finished 2nd, 1st and 5th in scoring the last 3 years. We've scored more goals than any other team in that span. Yet somehow we have "offensive woes" because we got shutdown by the Conn Smyth winner in 1 5-game series?

They think we have "scoring woes" when the truth is key injuries was the real problem.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#17 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Your options missed out on the coaching.

AV has one approach: cautious, defensive, dump and chase and let the Sedins cycle. He is not a gambler and the other teams know his system.

The players try to play in his system and hope their talent level and work ethic will make the difference.

Coach needs to change his tactics and not be so predictible. He needs several tactics and he needs to make changes when one of them isn't working. His stubborness will never allow the Canucks to win a Stanley.

I regret that he has gotten himself a contract extention for 3 years, about the time of our window for Lord Stanley.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#18 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

get mean players with a lot of grit and heart. We need playoff performers (like raffi, but maybe not raffi himself... not that I would mind if we got him again). We need players who are grinders with a lot of offensive upside. Doan would be one of them. Kassian could develop into one. Believe it or not, the Sedins showed a lot of grit in the Kings series especially hank. Booth could very well be a good player for us in the playoffs and he has showed promise in his first playoff game ever (I can't get the hit on Doughty out of my head --> big enough to be compared to the Big Bang). I don't know why people are hating on him, he's a great power forward with lots of speed and explosive energy, and an amazing shot. Don't underestimate the things he will do for us this year.

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#19 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

So......the Canucks signed Jason Garrison to a six year deal, which may go a long way to solving our defensive issues.

Our offense has not changed though. While we do have elite forwards like the Sedins and Kesler (also Burrows, Hansen, and supposedly Booth could be), our offensive output is lacking at times. It has seemed especially lacking during the the Stanely Cup Final against the Bruins and last years run against the Kings.

Yes those were BIG teams with amazing goaltenders, but aren't the Canucks a great team with amazing goaltending?

Where do the forward corps problems lie? And what must be done to fix them?

I love Hansen, but elite forward? The problem is that our management has invested our energies into tweeners hoping they would magically pan out, such as Raymond, Booth, and Bernier.

Meanwhile, we give up so easily on players with more potential (Hodgson, Grabner) or players with a proven track record (Samuelsson)

In addition, management put far too much faith into Kesler's offensive abilities where he got most of his points on the powerplay in his breakout season (an Ehrhoff QB'ed PP).

#20 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Compare our forwards to any team out there and you will find we are deep like Pittsburgh. Doan would put us over the top.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#21 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

AV has one approach: cautious, defensive, dump and chase and let the Sedins cycle. He is not a gambler and the other teams know his system.

The players try to play in his system and hope their talent level and work ethic will make the difference.

Coach needs to change his tactics and not be so predictible. He needs several tactics and he needs to make changes when one of them isn't working. His stubborness will never allow the Canucks to win a Stanley.

I regret that he has gotten himself a contract extention for 3 years, about the time of our window for Lord Stanley.

Back in 06/07 that was the case. Now, the Canucks play very aggressive hockey, and that doesn't fare too well against defensive teams. You are correct in noting AV's stubbornness, although I'm not sure if he's the only one to blame.

My solution is to shore up the defensive system (not necessarily personnel). The offence will never come against teams like LA, Nashville, St. Louis and other defensive teams. Rather, the Canucks should prevent the opposition's offence and then worry about scoring. Most of the times, we lose games against defensive teams due to our own mistakes, yet these defensive teams usually aren't even that good offensively.

#22 RXnucks975

RXnucks975

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

could use a veteran center who can play in a top 6 role and bring some leadership...is Brendan Morrison still available?

#23 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

We have regular season offense. But anyone who says "our offense has been fine!" needs to realize it has not been fine in the playoffs. It's especially frustrating when Tampha lights up Boston the series before. Or how Nashville got lit up the series before.

We lack the grit and garbage goal type of plays because we do not take it to the net, the twins are perimeter players, and Kesler and his line are more off the rush. Our big problem is secondary scoring, which would stem from the second line almost directly. Sorry, but one good series from Kesler doesn't cancel out the fact the rest of the time he has been mediocre with scoring.

We also suck at clutch goals, like when we have to pull the goalie to try and get a goal. From like the past few years, I can only remember a very tiny amount of times we've even gotten a good chance.

#24 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

We have regular season offense. But anyone who says "our offense has been fine!" needs to realize it has not been fine in the playoffs. It's especially frustrating when Tampha lights up Boston the series before. Or how Nashville got lit up the series before.

We lack the grit and garbage goal type of plays because we do not take it to the net, the twins are perimeter players, and Kesler and his line are more off the rush. Our big problem is secondary scoring, which would stem from the second line almost directly. Sorry, but one good series from Kesler doesn't cancel out the fact the rest of the time he has been mediocre with scoring.

We also suck at clutch goals, like when we have to pull the goalie to try and get a goal. From like the past few years, I can only remember a very tiny amount of times we've even gotten a good chance.

I can remember a couple of times just this past year where we pulled the goalie and either tied it up (Detroit?), or had a flurry of good chances.

#25 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I agree with you and have added another choice in the poll based on your post.
Posted Image

#26 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

I love Hansen, but elite forward? The problem is that our management has invested our energies into tweeners hoping they would magically pan out, such as Raymond, Booth, and Bernier.

Meanwhile, we give up so easily on players with more potential (Hodgson, Grabner) or players with a proven track record (Samuelsson)

In addition, management put far too much faith into Kesler's offensive abilities where he got most of his points on the powerplay in his breakout season (an Ehrhoff QB'ed PP).

I said Hansen could be, COULD BE.

Booth has not even been around a full season. Hodgson is not the second coming of Cam Neely, sorry.
Posted Image

#27 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

A poll choice has been added to reflect coaching.
Posted Image

#28 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

In the regular season. Our offensive output against LA and Boston did not reflect our regular season prowess.
Posted Image

#29 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

I think you are on to something here, I hope this isn't the case in the long run though because it is obviously the hardest thing to change.

Changing a coach is hard? The Blues and the Kings seemed to do it quite easily last season.
Posted Image

#30 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

In the regular season. Our offensive output against LA and Boston did not reflect our regular season prowess.

Because we went against 2 conn-smythe winning goalies

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.