The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Solution to our offensive woes. What is it?

L'Orange

What is the solution to our offensive woes?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simply put, high end skill that can change games.

Elite: Sedin, Sedin

Second Tier: Kesler, Burrows, Booth

Third tier: Higgins, Hansen

Fourth or worse, Everyone else

We have 5 guys that should legimately play in the top 6 on an elite team. Unforunately we have some problems there too. First off when one of your guys is elite and only gets 14 goals that's problematic when games get tight. Also if you look at the second tier guys they all have their idosyncrisies. Booth struggled coming injury and was injured again, Kesler's been injured for over a year now, who knows how many goals Burrows would score if he didn't play a game with the Sedins. Our top 6 looks like swiss cheese, so easy to break down in playoff hockey when the seems close up and there are no holes for the Sedins to exploit.

Similar to Basketball when you only have 5 guys that play at a time who cares who is on the bench. Pippen / Jordan will win you the cup every second year you play in Basketball. Of course in hockey they play harder, take more subs, have more subs, and depth is supremely more important, but you see where I'm going. The answer is somewhere in the middle. Sometimes when games are tight you just need that one extra player that can elevate just a bit to put the puck in the net or at the very least pose a threat to the other team.

"shut down by 2 conn smythe winners" .............

Face it, we may as well have handed them the trophy ourselves. Who honestly thinks Quick was the best goalie in the playoffs? Schnieder (though only 3 games) Smith, Brodeur, Lunqvist even Holtby all impressed me more with their runs. Quick allowed several softies, most well placed shots beat him. He was constantly looking around and over his shoulders for the puck when it was in his pads or infront of him, unlike us he had a defense willing to clear the puck from harms way.

Thomas got lit up by shooters on the Lightning, but as soon as he faces the "aim for the crest" Canucks, we make him look like a God rather than the often out of position crazy old man that he is.

So many times we fan on crease shots, fail to raise the puck on backhanders, or straight up miss the net by a cars length, the players we have simply need to start SHOOTING BETTER AND FINISHING. There's gotta be an app for that right?

Really? That's the best you got? Pathetic. My point is that there's FAR TOO MANY cry babies on here whining about this player or that player or our coach or our GM or the fact that we did this or that or didn't do this or that...it gets a little sickening at times. Starting a topic about our offensive woes is pathetic. As a matter of fact it should be locked as "irrelevant". Let's start a new topic about the Canuck's new orange jerseys? Cause it ain't true either. Seriously, I think now we're just starting a topic to complain about something just to be heard. Is it too much to ask the fans of this team to believe in it? To believe in the players, or the coach, the owners and their management?

I don't feel that this current generation of Canuck's fans has the right to criticize what we see on the ice today. My first car was a 72 Maverick that I paid $200 of my own money to buy. Today these spoiled brats get mommy or daddy to buy them a new Mustang, then they complain when they don't also get gas money...again...pathetic. And sadly this same mentality shows up on here. Spoiled fans.

Just about ANY other team in the league would kill for what we have. And it just isn't good enough for our "fans". Try and dis on the Oilers to one of their fans...they'd rip your head off. Or tell a Rider's fan that their coach can't count players...and they'd tear you a hole.

So I ask then...where's the passion FOR our team, no matter what that team looks like come Sept? Is it all going to be AGAINST them? All the F/A's that got away? The trades that didn't happen? What if next year we DON'T win the Stanley Cup...or even the President's Cup? What if we don't even win the division? Will we then long for the "good old days"? (Those days would be now in case you didn't catch that).

We have 5 guys that should legimately play in the top 6 on an elite team. Unforunately we have some problems there too. First off when one of your guys is elite and only gets 14 goals that's problematic when games get tight. Also if you look at the second tier guys they all have their idosyncrisies. Booth struggled coming injury and was injured again, Kesler's been injured for over a year now, who knows how many goals Burrows would score if he didn't play a game with the Sedins. Our top 6 looks like swiss cheese, so easy to break down in playoff hockey when the seems close up and there are no holes for the Sedins to exploit.

Similar to Basketball when you only have 5 guys that play at a time who cares who is on the bench. Pippen / Jordan will win you the cup every second year you play in Basketball. Of course in hockey they play harder, take more subs, have more subs, and depth is supremely more important, but you see where I'm going. The answer is somewhere in the middle. Sometimes when games are tight you just need that one extra player that can elevate just a bit to put the puck in the net or at the very least pose a threat to the other team.

It's a forum man. I'm sure a good amount of people have faith in this team but it makes for interesting discussions when we have to access our strenths and weaknesses, or else it'd be pretty stupid to just talk only about how we're the best and how we're going to win the cup.

In fairness to Henrik Sedin, he is a huge playmaker and that makes up for his lack of goal scoring. Also, he was easily our best forward statistically in the LA series with 2 G, 3 A in 5 games (although he definitely has more to offer, plus I personally thought the only forward that consistently showed up even during Danny's absence was Hansen).

Also true. When a couple injuries are sustained, we suffer big time in the offense category. We've seen it time and time again. Most recent being the Bruins and Kings series. I also don't believe Burrows has the offensive ability he's shown without the twins. Evidence backing up that is when Daniel went down for 18 games back in 09-10, and when Henrik carried the team on his back offensively to ultimately win the Art Ross, Burrows had 9 points in that 18 game span. Those numbers are okay, but not great, not first line quality. And in that 18 game span, Burrows had TWO goals. Point being he suffered big time without Daniel. Without both of them, I suspect his production to plummet big time. Has he played significant time without them since then? I can't recall.

And that's what pisses me off about Henrik. He's the only guy in the NHL that when he has the puck in the slot, he passes it instead. He has shown he has 'good' goal scoring ability with 22 and 29 goals. His problem is he's way too damn generous with the puck and I've always believed he's less of a threat because you know he wont shoot it. Last season, out of the top 30 NHL scorers, Henrik had a better shooting percentage than 13 of those players. The season before, it was 9. However, in both of the last two seasons he's averaged less than two shots a game, which is absurd for the role he plays and the ice time he gets.

Want to know Henrik's shooting percentage among the top 30 NHL scorers when Daniel was out for 18 games? It was the BEST.

Point being, Henrik has a great shot when he actually decides to use it. And he should be using it more, he would become just that much more of a threat.

Yes, so, back to your post. While this offense is dominant when it's healthy, an injury or two like we've seen over the last couple series and it crumbles big time. Daniel was out, Kesler was injured. That's two of the top five players you mentioned. Booth, I don't think was injured, was simply playing like piss for whatever reason. That's three of the top five guys that we can rely on consistently that are injured or not even close to playing the way they should. That spells defeat.

We got shut down by two Conn Smythe winners actually, Thomas and Quick. The playoffs is when our offense seems to dry up the most lately, but it seems to be creeping into our regular season games too. Remember all of those tight low scoring games in the second half of last season, I believe we were one of the lowest scoring teams towards the end of it. It is concerning because since 09/10 when we scored roughly 272, our goal production has gone down the last two seasons since then.

Really, the solution to our offensive woes is to stay away from Moneyball players like the Sedins who are great regular season athletes but do not inspire greatness come playoff time.

That, of course, will come when they retire.

Really, the solution to our offensive woes is to stay away from Moneyball players like the Sedins who are great regular season athletes but do not inspire greatness come playoff time.

That, of course, will come when they retire.

Really? That's the best you got? Pathetic. My point is that there's FAR TOO MANY cry babies on here whining about this player or that player or our coach or our GM or the fact that we did this or that or didn't do this or that...it gets a little sickening at times. Starting a topic about our offensive woes is pathetic. As a matter of fact it should be locked as "irrelevant". Let's start a new topic about the Canuck's new orange jerseys? Cause it ain't true either. Seriously, I think now we're just starting a topic to complain about something just to be heard. Is it too much to ask the fans of this team to believe in it? To believe in the players, or the coach, the owners and their management?

I don't feel that this current generation of Canuck's fans has the right to criticize what we see on the ice today. My first car was a 72 Maverick that I paid $200 of my own money to buy. Today these spoiled brats get mommy or daddy to buy them a new Mustang, then they complain when they don't also get gas money...again...pathetic. And sadly this same mentality shows up on here. Spoiled fans.

Just about ANY other team in the league would kill for what we have. And it just isn't good enough for our "fans". Try and dis on the Oilers to one of their fans...they'd rip your head off. Or tell a Rider's fan that their coach can't count players...and they'd tear you a hole.

So I ask then...where's the passion FOR our team, no matter what that team looks like come Sept? Is it all going to be AGAINST them? All the F/A's that got away? The trades that didn't happen? What if next year we DON'T win the Stanley Cup...or even the President's Cup? What if we don't even win the division? Will we then long for the "good old days"? (Those days would be now in case you didn't catch that).

Archived