The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Solution to our offensive woes. What is it?

L'Orange

What is the solution to our offensive woes?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Agree with this, the second half of the season wasn't good enough. Teams seemed to wait until we forced the game too hard which resulted in them capitalising on our mistakes and forcing us to chip and chase.

All the other teams had to do was backcheck hard and have a good breakout pass and we were on our heels.

It didn't help the Daniel was out at the end of the season as I think the LA match up would of been alot closer.

It was said in another thread somewhere but we really did miss Raffi Torres. He made the opposing teams D think when they were in their own end fishing for the puck.

Couldn't agree more. So from now on let's only start topics that are relevant to the team's strengths or weaknesses. To start a topic about our offensive woes is pure garbage. Let's now start one about our problems in net...oh...wait.

Keys to our offensive woes... not have a player throw an obvious illegal elbow to our best goal scorers head.

or not have a team beat us up through the finals with illegal slashes and goon type hockey deemed illegal after the lockout only to be resurected in the finals against the canucks.

Keys to our offensive woes... not have a player throw an obvious illegal elbow to our best goal scorers head.

or not have a team beat us up through the finals with illegal slashes and goon type hockey deemed illegal after the lockout only to be resurected in the finals against the canucks.

Without a doubt, not to rag on Henrik, just trying to point out why adding another player that can score those easier chances would just compliment what we have being that we have room for one more player of this type.

Can't hurt to have one more guy that can and will put the puck in the net if Henrik feeds him.

Mueller already signed, Doan ... I'm trying not to hold my breath over him.

Unfortunately that means our next best option for obtaining an offensive winger via free agency would be a Kristian Huselius. Shows you how razor thin the open market is.

Argh. okay. We all have valid points and are entitled to our own opinion.

Hockey is a team sport with many many variables.

Yes, we could use more top end talent, who couldn't.

Regular season success means squat in the playoffs. Everybody knows that the playoffs change the way you play.

Everything is tougher, meaner, faster, grittier and more determined. The soft taps in we may be used to in the regular season disappear.

This is a mindset all players most over come.

Obviously, goaltending is key. Thomas beat us, Quick beat us. Whether we made the look good or not. They were better than our goalies. Lou had his meltdowns. CS should be fine. I have faith in him to do the job and be as good as the past two winners.

Offense. Yes our dried up the last two playoff losses, hence the need for another good top six. Regular season we are in fine. Playoffs, intensity needs to be stepped up. Garbage goals, ugly goals, go to the net grinder goals need to be more plentiful. We were weak there.

Defence. Vs the Kings, I found this to be a big difference. Kings D made no or few mistakes. Our D had turnovers, mistakes, errors and gambles all the time it seemed. Not safe = sorry. Puck in the back of our net. I see this as a problem, not sure how to fix this.......

Clone Doughty and Mitchel for us? (lol)

Or was Kings just hungrier and forechecked us better to cough up the puck? like I said, many variables.

We have great regular season team. Just need to step it up in the playoffs, get hot and score some clutch goals.

Really? That's the best you got? Pathetic. My point is that there's FAR TOO MANY cry babies on here whining about this player or that player or our coach or our GM or the fact that we did this or that or didn't do this or that...it gets a little sickening at times. Starting a topic about our offensive woes is pathetic. As a matter of fact it should be locked as "irrelevant". Let's start a new topic about the Canuck's new orange jerseys? Cause it ain't true either. Seriously, I think now we're just starting a topic to complain about something just to be heard. Is it too much to ask the fans of this team to believe in it? To believe in the players, or the coach, the owners and their management?

I don't feel that this current generation of Canuck's fans has the right to criticize what we see on the ice today. My first car was a 72 Maverick that I paid $200 of my own money to buy. Today these spoiled brats get mommy or daddy to buy them a new Mustang, then they complain when they don't also get gas money...again...pathetic. And sadly this same mentality shows up on here. Spoiled fans.

Just about ANY other team in the league would kill for what we have. And it just isn't good enough for our "fans". Try and dis on the Oilers to one of their fans...they'd rip your head off. Or tell a Rider's fan that their coach can't count players...and they'd tear you a hole.

So I ask then...where's the passion FOR our team, no matter what that team looks like come Sept? Is it all going to be AGAINST them? All the F/A's that got away? The trades that didn't happen? What if next year we DON'T win the Stanley Cup...or even the President's Cup? What if we don't even win the division? Will we then long for the "good old days"? (Those days would be now in case you didn't catch that).

Still some CoHo dodos moping around here, huh?

You birds are never gonna fly...

The solution to the Canucks 'scoring' woes...

Sedin Sedin (Doan)/Burrows

Booth Kesler Burrows/(Doan)

Higgins Schroeder/Gaunce/(Matthias or Bjugstad) Hansen

Malhotra/Raymond Lapierre Kassian

Volpatti Pinnizotto Jensen

Weise Ebbett Grenier/Rodin

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Tanev

Alberts (Petrovic)

Connauton Sauve

Garrison, a big two way 23 minute guy who solidifies Edler - a great start.

Kassian and hopefull Doan - two big power forward right wingers - exactly what the team was lacking.

One tweak that would be nice would be to give up a future(s) to get Chris Neil - would give us some beastly depth. Luongo for prospects would give the cap space for Doan (6) and Neil (2.0,1.9...)

In addition, (hopefully we can add a couple big young prospects like Bjugstad or Matthias and Petrovic), along with prospects like Connauton, Jensen, Rodin, on the offensive side, and guys like Sauve and Mallet on the defensive side...

It's a team game - this team only needs a player or two - the rest is solid and deep. I love this team, it can score, or it can beat you 1-0.

Still some CoHo dodos moping around here, huh?

You birds are never gonna fly...

The solution to the Canucks 'scoring' woes...

Sedin Sedin (Doan)/Burrows

Booth Kesler Burrows/(Doan)

Higgins Schroeder/Gaunce/(Matthias or Bjugstad) Hansen

Malhotra/Raymond Lapierre Kassian

Volpatti Pinnizotto Jensen

Weise Ebbett Grenier/Rodin

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Tanev

Alberts (Petrovic)

Connauton Sauve

Garrison, a big two way 23 minute guy who solidifies Edler - a great start.

Kassian and hopefull Doan - two big power forward right wingers - exactly what the team was lacking.

One tweak that would be nice would be to give up a future(s) to get Chris Neil - would give us some beastly depth. Luongo for prospects would give the cap space for Doan (6) and Neil (2.0,1.9...)

In addition, (hopefully we can add a couple big young prospects like Bjugstad or Matthias and Petrovic), along with prospects like Connauton, Jensen, Rodin, on the offensive side, and guys like Sauve and Mallet on the defensive side...

It's a team game - this team only needs a player or two - the rest is solid and deep. I love this team, it can score, or it can beat you 1-0.

So......the Canucks signed Jason Garrison to a six year deal, which may go a long way to solving our defensive issues.

Our offense has not changed though. While we do have elite forwards like the Sedins and Kesler (also Burrows, Hansen, and supposedly Booth could be), our offensive output is lacking at times. It has seemed especially lacking during the the Stanely Cup Final against the Bruins and last years run against the Kings.

Yes those were BIG teams with amazing goaltenders, but aren't the Canucks a great team with amazing goaltending?

Where do the forward corps problems lie? And what must be done to fix them?

Our offence is lacking when Kesler is hurt and can't play like Kelser. When he could play like Kesler two years ago, we had the best offence in the league. That said, we will have a huge hole at the 2nd centre spot till he returns (a spot the guy we traded would have been perfect for - why we did not trade for a centre to come back (knowing of Kesler's injury in February) is beyond me. Instead we traded for a guy who can't play, Gragnani, and a guy who may never play, Kassian). We also have a huge hole at the number 3 centre spot - if Malhotra cannot return to form. Lapierre only seems to have offence when he is a winger with talented forwards. That leaves us with a total of one useful centre for the first three lines - H. Sedin - we could be out of the playoffs by the time Kesler returns from injury, then gets himself in game shape.

Maybe MG is hoping for a useful return from a Luongo trade - good luck with that. People seeing a return from a Luongo trade are dreaming in technicolor - who would want that awful contract unless we pay them to take it? We would have to bundle Luongo with a desirable player/contract to get someone to take it - a big pile of bucks would help too. Who wants to be out 3-4-5-6- 10 years from now still taking on a 5.3 million dollar caphit - or doling out 6.7 million in cash for the next five years for a middle of the pack goalie? And that's now. What happens when his already deteriorating talent deteriorates further?

The big problem for the Canucks is to translate that financial and cap commitment to Luongo into a useful forward(S), probably a 2/3 centre and hope for Kassian or Jensen to be able to play in the NHL in a top six role. I think we shall see Jensen there before Kassian.

The forward corps problems lie at centre with a severe player shortage till Kesler returns, but if Malhotra isn't back to what he was, it will be a lingering shortage, and the fact that the 4.6 million dollar Booth isn't worth what we are paying him. People are saying trade Raymond, but until he proves he can play again after that back injury, what value will he have in today's NHL? Schroeder's lack of succes in the AHL does not bode well for him ever becoming a regular NHL player. After Jensen, Kassian, and Scroeder, there is precious little talent available for a top six forward, barring a miracle among the young recruits.

Archived