The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]Doan's July 16th deadline no longer exists

If unrestricted free agent

Shane Doan decides to leave the Phoenix Coyotes, he will find more than half of the NHL's teams lined up to make recruiting pitches.

Terry Bross of Lagardere Unlimited, the group representing Doan, said Wednesday that 16 NHL teams have made inquiries about Doan's intentions and "four or five" have already submitted formal offers. Bross also has been negotiating with the Coyotes to keep Doan in Phoenix.

"We are getting to the point where it is going to be decision-making time," Bross said.

Bross said Doan has been traveling by car in western Canada and has been difficult to reach. But the agent planned to talk to him either late Wednesday or early Thursday to discuss his options.

Doan, who has been with the Winnipeg/Phoenix franchise his entire career, has indicated he would prefer to stay with the Coyotes, provided he can be convinced that Greg Jamison's proposal to buy the team and keep it in Glendale, Ariz., is going to happen.

One complication is some Glendale residents are trying to obtain enough signatures on petitions to hold a referendum on the city's 20-year, $324 million arena management deal with Jamison.

The deadline for the signatures was supposed to be last Monday, but organizers of the petition drive believe it should be next Monday because that would be a month after they received the paperwork.

There have been reports of Doan possibly delaying his decision until Monday, but Bross indicated he doesn't believe Doan needs to wait.

"There is no relevance to the July 16th date for us," he said. "That's off the table."

Doan, 35, is a power forward with leadership ability, and most of the league's high-profile teams are interested in signing him, including the

Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. The Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins and Vancouver Canucks also are believed to be in the mix.

To me this is him and his agent saying "We've been patient, but now it's time to start looking elsewhere."

I don't think Maloney can even give him a serious offer when he technically has no money to sign him with right now.

I hope Gillman and him really do have a good relationship, cause that might give us a bit of an edge.

At this rate he will finally have made his descision at the trade deadline :bigblush:

But jokes aside, from a selfish point of view hopefully (for our sake) the thing falls through, he is exactly what we need and I don't wanna go into the season with Raymond on our team let alone in our top 6.

But I feel for him aswell, he really wants to stay there, and that's a tough spot to be, for his sake I hope whatever happens he ends up being happy with it.

To me this is him and his agent saying "We've been patient, but now it's time to start looking elsewhere."

I don't think Maloney can even give him a serious offer when he technically has no money to sign him with right now.

I hope Gillman and him really do have a good relationship, cause that might give us a bit of an edge.

Whatever it takes to get him here, remember all the Vancouver Citizens willing to do things for Sundin like give him free haircuts and dinners and stuff if he signed in Van? I think we should do that for Doan, IMO he is way more deserving than Sundin.

At this rate he will finally have made his descision at the trade deadline :bigblush:

But jokes aside, from a selfish point of view hopefully (for our sake) the thing falls through, he is exactly what we need and I don't wanna go into the season with Raymond on our team let alone in our top 6.

But I feel for him aswell, he really wants to stay there, and that's a tough spot to be, for his sake I hope whatever happens he ends up being happy with it.

this was posted on sportsnet

There is no deadline for Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan to wait on his team’s future in Arizona before deciding which team the unrestricted free agent will join, according to Doan’s agent, Terry Bross.

While Doan had initially given a July 9 deadline, and then a July 16 deadline, awaiting clarity on a deal to keep the only franchise the veteran has ever played for in Phoenix, Bross told USA Today that the idea of waiting until Monday is now off the table.

There is still no certainty whether potential Coyotes owner Greg Jamison will be successful in his bid to take hold of the team and keep it in the desert.

"There is no relevance to the July 16th date for us," Bross told the paper on Wednesday. "We are getting to the point where it is going to be decision-making time."

Bross, who has been quoted frequently in the last week discussing the growing NHL interest in his 35-year-old client, said that 16 teams – more than half of the league – have made inquiries regarding Doan and that “four or five” have submitted formal offers.

Phoenix Sports 620 KTAR radio host John Gambadoro tweeted that three of those four or five teams are the Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks and Vancouver Canucks, in that order.

gambo4_normal.jpg

The third team to offer Coyotes Captain Shane Doan a contract following LA and San Jose is the Vancouver Canucks!

“It’s crazy to think about, given all the bad blood in the playoffs,” Kings defenceman Drew Doughty told MayorsManor.com. “But, that’s playoff hockey. You’re going to play as hard as you can and do anything you can to win. He wanted it just as bad as everyone on our team did. To possibly have him on our team would be great. He’s been a great player in the league for so long, he’s a leader on and off the ice, just a great guy to have in the room.”

Although he is fielding offers, Doan has not yet ruled out a return to the Coyotes.

Archived