The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Wants To Get "Younger & Bigger" - My Take

Franz Liszt

Hi.

This is what I think he means by getting younger and bigger:

Getting younger is a good thing. Getting bigger is also a good thing.

I think Gillis may separate the two words to a degree.

He may want to get bigger by signing Doan. He's 6'2 225, though he is turning 36.

He may want to get younger by trading for Versteeg in a Luongo trade. He's only 26, though only 5'10 185.

Its a bonus if we can get players who are both young AND big, like Shawn Matthias, who I hope for in the Luongo trade as well.

But I really feel Gillis is going for a mix this offseason.

Trading for Kassian was a bonus as well. He'll be a force either next season or 2013-2014.

The Garrison signing and letting Salo go was a tough thing, but I really feel Salo only has one more great season left in him. So it was an okay thing to let Salo retire somewhere nice, and I wish him well.

Garrison is also a big guy, so were lucky to maintain the size on the back end. And he is only 27. Got younger by 10 years.

That's just my take on it.

Hope you agree that the two categories can be singled out for players in Gillis' plan.

Nope. It was NOT an okay thing to let Salo retire somewhere else. We should have kept him and won him a Cup

Salo has done so much for the organization, and should have been free to play here as long as he wanted. He deserved it. Every team needs a player like Sami Salo

Nope. It was NOT an okay thing to let Salo retire somewhere else. We should have kept him and won him a Cup

Salo has done so much for the organization, and should have been free to play here as long as he wanted. He deserved it. Every team needs a player like Sami Salo

Archived