The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Wants To Get "Younger & Bigger" - My Take

Franz Liszt

Nope. It was NOT an okay thing to let Salo retire somewhere else. We should have kept him and won him a Cup

Salo has done so much for the organization, and should have been free to play here as long as he wanted. He deserved it. Every team needs a player like Sami Salo

Younger = players not as old as your current ones

Bigger = players who are taller and/or stronger and/or heavier than your current ones

It's not Gillis' fault if people take those two words as inseparably linked rather than possibilities each unto themselves.

- We could get younger by giving Schroeder a chance at the 2nd line center spot this year, but it doesn't make us bigger.

- We could get bigger by signing Doan to play on the wing with him, but it doesn't make us younger.

His drafting plan certainly tries to incorporate both (younger is a given) and eventually that alone will match the full statement. Until then, we'll have to try and do a healthy mix.

Nope. It was NOT an okay thing to let Salo retire somewhere else. We should have kept him and won him a Cup

Salo has done so much for the organization, and should have been free to play here as long as he wanted. He deserved it. Every team needs a player like Sami Salo

Younger and bigger in separate pieces...makes a lot of sense to me.

Fourth line made up of kids...Jensen LW -- Schroeder C -- Kassian RW. Play them 8-9 minutes per game...let them learn their craft in the NHL and accept that they will cost us regular season points. We have probably one year free pass to win the NW Division, so timing is good to bring the kids in now.

Younger = players not as old as your current ones

Bigger = players who are taller and/or stronger and/or heavier than your current ones

It's not Gillis' fault if people take those two words as inseparably linked rather than possibilities each unto themselves.

- We could get younger by giving Schroeder a chance at the 2nd line center spot this year, but it doesn't make us bigger.

- We could get bigger by signing Doan to play on the wing with him, but it doesn't make us younger.

His drafting plan certainly tries to incorporate both (younger is a given) and eventually that alone will match the full statement. Until then, we'll have to try and do a healthy mix.

Part of the problem is that often getting younger means taking a risk on an unproven prospect, or paying big bucks for rising stars that have proven themselves and will likely be a force in the game for a decade longer, making their value through the roof, or just getting middle of the road players who fill gaps nicely but don't put the team over the top.

We are so close to the cap we don't have the luxury of big spending even if we were inclined to, and we are so close to a cup that we don't want to take a lot of chances on unproven prospects. So the result is picking up middle-of-the-road players and hoping they play bigger than their paycheque and their past performance. A couple of times that's worked out well for us, but it won't always.

Every time I see someone saying MG has done nothing, I think they fail to realize that MG can't just make deals happen. The other team in the deal has to agree.

:picard:

Obviously, every team wants to get bigger and get younger, but the fact of the matter is, young impact players aren't just sitting around for us to pick up. They're all locked into other teams.

Its one thing for Gillis to say I want to get bigger and younger (Kassian) but to translate that youth and size into quality hockey is a different thing all together. Not saying Kassian isn't or won't be a quality hockey player but size and youth don't necessarily equate to games won.

Hi.

This is what I think he means by getting younger and bigger:

Getting younger is a good thing. Getting bigger is also a good thing.

I think Gillis may separate the two words to a degree.

He may want to get bigger by signing Doan. He's 6'2 225, though he is turning 36.

He may want to get younger by trading for Versteeg in a Luongo trade. He's only 26, though only 5'10 185.

Its a bonus if we can get players who are both young AND big, like Shawn Matthias, who I hope for in the Luongo trade as well.

But I really feel Gillis is going for a mix this offseason.

Trading for Kassian was a bonus as well. He'll be a force either next season or 2013-2014.

The Garrison signing and letting Salo go was a tough thing, but I really feel Salo only has one more great season left in him. So it was an okay thing to let Salo retire somewhere nice, and I wish him well.

Garrison is also a big guy, so were lucky to maintain the size on the back end. And he is only 27. Got younger by 10 years.

That's just my take on it.

Hope you agree that the two categories can be singled out for players in Gillis' plan.

Archived