The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Wants To Get "Younger & Bigger" - My Take

Franz Liszt

Younger and bigger in separate pieces...makes a lot of sense to me.

Fourth line made up of kids...Jensen LW -- Schroeder C -- Kassian RW. Play them 8-9 minutes per game...let them learn their craft in the NHL and accept that they will cost us regular season points. We have probably one year free pass to win the NW Division, so timing is good to bring the kids in now.

It would have been dumb to offer Salo any contract at $3.75 / year!

Salo, while remaining steady and positive defensively, started the year with 15 points in something like 15 games. He finished the year with 9 or 10 more points in 44 more games. Lets call that not quite sturdy enough to play at a top FOUR level all year.

A possible great 5th or 6th guy and a few extra dollars for being a fabulous career Canuck (which he was) = $2 mill. Good for Sammy getting $3.75, but even better for Gillis in letting him go. Same for Ohlund and his current $25 mill contract!

I wouldn't of given Salo a multiple year deal either

Nope. It was NOT an okay thing to let Salo retire somewhere else. We should have kept him and won him a Cup

Salo has done so much for the organization, and should have been free to play here as long as he wanted. He deserved it. Every team needs a player like Sami Salo

Younger and bigger in separate pieces...makes a lot of sense to me.

Fourth line made up of kids...Jensen LW -- Schroeder C -- Kassian RW. Play them 8-9 minutes per game...let them learn their craft in the NHL and accept that they will cost us regular season points. We have probably one year free pass to win the NW Division, so timing is good to bring the kids in now.

These kids are better off playing more minutes in the AHL. Playing 8-9 minutes a game isn't good for any player's development at any time. Kassian will be leaned on a little more heavily while there is the room to do so, but if he, or Schroeder, is costing the team points to the point where they can't play more than 9 minutes a game, they're better off on the farm. And I think Kassian has nothing left to prove at the AHL level, but he needs to play, and play lots.

I can't see Jensen making the team, but I can see him being one of the last cuts.

How about draft from the WHL a bit more often. Or even scout the WHL?

As for bigger, younger:

Brendan Gaunce: 6'2", 207 lbs

Alexandre Mallet: 6'1" 195 lbs

Nicklas Jensen: 6'2" 202 lbs.

Alexandre Grenier: 6'5" 200 lbs.

Looks like this strategy has been put into place in terms of drafting. Maybe Gillis is learning from his mistakes in drafting.

Gillis signed 5'10" Andrew Ebbett.

And so he should have-two game winners in the limited ice he saw in 18 gp.

Five goals,two GWG's.

Big guys are over rated and if the OP is providing a Gillis quote,I don't see it. The reality of this signing and the reality of what constitutes a great hockey player is not youth or size.

Quantity will never replace Quality.

Orr 5' 11"

Shore 5' 11"

Bentley 5' 9"

M. Richard 5'10"

H. Richard5' 7"

Fleury 5' 6"

Crosby 5' 11"

Bure 5' 11"

Gretzky 6'

Potvin 6'

Coffey 6'

Koivu 5' 10"

Versteeg 5' 10"

Briere 5' 10"

St. Louis 5' 9"

Dr. Recchi 5' 10"

Rafalski 5'10"

Kane 5' 10"

What I can't figure out is this relationship between Gillis & Coach V. What does this have to do with "Younger & Bigger" you ask? Well, it's just that Gillis has supported and rehired a coach who refuses to give young players ice time, and then made a public statement about getting younger and using his draft picks.

We only have to look back to Cody Hodgson (?) and Michael Grabner to see an example of Coach V at work. Especially with Grabner; he gives the guy 2 or 3 minutes a game with the 4th line plumbers and then when the guy isn't on pace for a point a game, or lets someone get by him for a goal, he's back to the farm team.

Sure, he gave Tanev some ice time, which surprised the hell out of me, but then, he really didn't have much of a choice did he?

I'm sure that when the season gets going we will see the same bloody lines as last year, and the same revolving door on a 4th line that will never get a chance to gel and develop chemistry.

Archived