The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hartnell wants contract extension from Flyers

http://prohockeytalk...on-from-flyers/

Scott Hartnell wants a contract extension, and he doesn’t want to wait until the last minute to get one.

“Scott would welcome coming back; he loves it in Philadelphia,” his agent, Matt Oates, told CSNPhilly.com. “But we haven’t had any contact with the Flyers just yet.”

The 30-year-old power forward scored a career-high 37 goals in 2011-12 and has one season left on a six-year, $25.2 million deal.

A source told CSNPhilly.com the Flyers are likely to open up contract talks with Hartnell shortly; however, it’s possible the club will want to hold off signing anything until a new CBA is agreed upon.

One could argue Hartnell brings much more to the team than Briere who is making significantly more than Hartnell (yes, I'm aware Briere's contract is long and his cap hit is averaged, but he's making a lot more than Hartnell right now and offering less to the team IMO).

This would mean Hartnell might be worth in the neighborhood of 6mil and PHI definitely has space for a new contract for this key team member.

I was wondering when players/agents would start pressing for new contracts/extensions before the new CBA comes out? I think many players/agents would want to get a deal done with the CBA they know now as opposed to a new CBA which may/may not be player-friendly.

One could argue Hartnell brings much more to the team than Briere who is making significantly more than Hartnell (yes, I'm aware Briere's contract is long and his cap hit is averaged, but he's making a lot more than Hartnell right now and offering less to the team IMO).

This would mean Hartnell might be worth in the neighborhood of 6mil and PHI definitely has space for a new contract for this key team member.

I was wondering when players/agents would start pressing for new contracts/extensions before the new CBA comes out? I think many players/agents would want to get a deal done with the CBA they know now as opposed to a new CBA which may/may not be player-friendly.

Archived