The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Capitals sign Filip Forsberg

We on the West Coast truly underestimate Ovechkin. I've watched a ton of Tampa Bay Lightning games, and by entension, many Washington games. Ovechkin goes out almost every shift and attempts to make things happen. Every time he steps on the ice, he's immediately the most dangerous guy out there. The only time he's not, is during games where Crosby is playing. He may not have put up a great number of goals, but he's still a huge threat physically when he's not scoring.

The Great 8 had a bad year due to a system that didn't suit his play style at all. If Oates manages to create an up-tempo system, look for Ovechkin to score 45+

Production. All those goals, more than those three have. Doing it basically on his own, rather than with great supporting casts like in Pittsburgh and Detroit. Being one of the two superstars of the game and living up to the billing. Stepping onto the ice and creating so much fear (in the opposition) and excitement (off the ice). While Malkin, Datsyuk and Lidstrom are all fantastic, none of them have had the va-va-voom of Ovie. He's destroyed almost every team in the league several times over.

He's had one bad year, under a system that didn't suit him. Next year he'll be headline news, potting 50+ goals and electrifying fans across the continent. And he's done that consistently since the lockout.

But hey, disagree if you like. I like my dominant players to score goals, hit guys, put on a show. Not make safe plays and rack up points playing with 4 superstars. All in the eye of the beholder.

By the by, I see Forsberg becoming a great power forward. He couldn't have a better guy to learn from.

You'd have to be a real hater to not accept that Ovie is at least Top 3 in a 'most dominant since the lockout' list. Cups aside - they are a team success, not an individual one - only Crosby from your list can match Ovie's production, showmanship and DOMINATION. He's been electric ever since he entered the league - meanwhile, Captain Serious may have won a cup, but he's not exciting, has zero personality, and hasn't put up nearly as many points as Ovie. Ovie has dominated - very few can say that.

By no means did i ever rip Ovie, I just disagree with calling him the most dominant player since the lockout. I'd say the list goes Crosby-Malkin-Lidstrom-Datsyuk-Toews-H Sedin- Ovie.

I agree that Ovie goes out and tries to be an exciting make things happen wrecking crew, the thing is, hockey is a team sport. The rest of those guys make their teammates better. Just because they don't skate around making high risk plays doesn't mean they aren't dominant.

Ovie is a tremendous talent and a force, just not the end all be all player of the world. If i had to pick players to build my team around, taking age into account the list would read Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Toews, Ovechkin. By no means is that a rip on the guy.

I feel like you're seriously overlooking a player like Lidstrom who has been far more dominant post-lockout, yet in a far quieter manner. To claim that Ovie has been the most dominant player by leaps and bounds post-lockout is just silly

The problem is that no one can be the "most" dominate player in any kind of sports because dominate is just a matter of perspective. Its like arguing who is the most beautiful girl or smartest person in the world, u will not find an absolute anwser.

When that guy said ovechkin is the most dominate player post lock out, he meant one of the most dominate player post lock out.

Not even gretzky can be call the most dominate player in the nhl because someone can post a whole bunch of reason why bobby orr or lemieux was better.

I don't know where the "Ovie does it alone" thing is coming from. Backstrom > Dupuis, Kunitz, Cooke (in Crosby's case) and Sharp, Kane, Hossa (in Toews' case). Fact is he can be flashy all he wants but when I think of "domination" I'm going to go with the all-around player who can actually show up in big games. Look at what Toews did in the World Championships at 18, at the Olympics, in the Playoffs, look at his defensive play. You want an exciting game sure get Ovie, you actually want to win something of importance it's Toews, Crosby, Lidstrom, Datsyuk every time.

Heart isn't jumping into the boards and dangling around players to score goals, it's getting up exhausted in the times where you don't score and hauling ass back to your own zone to break up a play. Something I have never seen Ovie do. Just my opinion.

You'd have to be a real hater to not accept that Ovie is at least Top 3 in a 'most dominant since the lockout' list. Cups aside - they are a team success, not an individual one - only Crosby from your list can match Ovie's production, showmanship and DOMINATION. He's been electric ever since he entered the league - meanwhile, Captain Serious may have won a cup, but he's not exciting, has zero personality, and hasn't put up nearly as many points as Ovie. Ovie has dominated - very few can say that.

Either him, Teravainen or Maata.

Teravainen will slot perfectly into the 2nd line spot behind Toews (in 2-3 years)

Maata will take time though - as he is in SERIOUS competition for space on the Penguins (Dumoulin, Pouliet, Despres, Morrow, Harrington, P Samuelsson.... :blink: )

Archived