The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2004 hockey futures thread on Kesler

Langdon Algur

Well TBH, take away the PPGs, he is a 20-30 goal guy. For a guy projected as a 2-way player, those aren't usually the types of players you see on a top powerplay unit.

It's always easier to look back and say people were wrong than to say someone projected a player nicely (without being irrational). I.e. Saying Burrows will be a 30 goal scorer 10 years ago probably could've gotten you banned for trolling.

Wow what a fantastic read. Thanks for this.

+1

I am quite impressed with everyones replies. While they underestimated him a bit, i think they remained quite positive about Ryan's outlook.

Nobody predicted he would have attained as many selke nominations and 40 goals and Olympic Silver , game 7 finals 2 presidents trophies.

Hes definitely over achieved for his drafting position.

Wow what a fantastic read. Thanks for this.

+1

I am quite impressed with everyones replies. While they underestimated him a bit, i think they remained quite positive about Ryan's outlook.

Nobody predicted he would have attained as many selke nominations and 40 goals and Olympic Silver , game 7 finals 2 presidents trophies.

Hes definitely over achieved for his drafting position.

"I'm hoping he gets a shot at the 4th line center spot next season. I know it is supposed to hamper his development, but he looks NHL ready anyways, and the 4th line center job is a good job to handle to prepare to become a third line center.

Cooke-Chubarov-Linden

May-Kesler-Ruutu

That works for me... the only hole still not filled is the RW on the second line."

Funny, it seems we still have the same "hole" to fill 8 years later. That's impressive too he was the 16th rated skater in a draft class so stacked, I wonder if he had gone higher in position if people wouldn't have been projecting him so much as a career 3rd liner?

Russian_fanatic

Oh boy we could have had either Stewart OR Tambellini(Who will be a mini St. Louis!)

lol I like this post the best

myrocketsgotcracked

so kesler have the potential to be a shutdown guy while scoring 25goals and 35assists? sounds like we got ourself a future selke trophy winner grin.gif

i know hes only 19 last year and have LOTS of time to improve, but i dont really see him putting up that kind of numbers. those are stats morrison put up playing on the big line. i find it hard to imagine kesler can be a shutdown guy while putting up 1st line center-type of offense. but then again im a horrible judge on talent (i thought josh holden would be a star bangHead.gif ) so hopefully im wrong on kesler too.

love the fact his sarcastic comment is true

Kesler's offense is under-appreciated.

He could be 25-35-60-100 with very good defensive credibility.

I could easily see Kesler as a secondliner. He's a do everything guy. He can hit a little, he can score a little, he can play quality defense. He's somewhere between Trevor Linden and Jeremey Roenick in style, obviously not quite on their level. He isn't spectacular in any one area, but he has no great weakness. Kesler is the kind of player that always gets underrated on draft day and in prospect ratings, they always look for that 'it' quality but neglect the kids who are solid players that think the game very well.

lol love the selke sarcasm

On the other hand, I wonder where this genius is now...

vancusso

vCash: 500

the nucks are dreaming if they even think this guy will amount to anything,, come on the team is full of plumbers and a guy like Kelser will at best amount to a plumber and not a good one.. he sucks...big time.

Give me a break,you must be Mr. Kesler or the kids uncle. Yes he can skate and 1000's of guys can, his offensive skills are very limited and last year he was all over the ice, out of posiiton most times.. to compare him to Conroy is way off base. At best a 4th line grinder and press box player.. all the hype on a guy who really has not clue what he is doing out there.

Suck it!

"That said, Kesler is a solid young player and will be a solid NHL'er for many, many years. Never will be a star, perhaps never more then a 3rd liner, but he'll be an important player for his team. But then, looking at the Canucks younger players and prospects, thats not the type of player they need. They need a potential future star forward, or a big, bruising forward. Mike Richards or Anthony Stewart would've been better picks for the Canucks IMO."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Agreed most of the replies were pretty accurrate and well thought out even though they obviously underestimated his potential. Maybe I'm being an optimist but the thread kind of reminds me of what people are saying now about Gaunce :)

Archived