The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Incredible Movies

dajusta

I recently read up on JJ Abram's lens flare technique and it seems to have caused quite a stir among film critics. Does anyone else heard much about this?

Here are some parodies and links to his lens flare technique.. the titanic one is super hilarious.

Good idea for a thread. The "rate the last movie you saw" thread is kind of fun to browse, but most of the time I just find myself asking whether I saw the same movie the poster did. 21 Jump Street is not a 10/10 on any scaled I can think of.

Thoughts on some previously mentioned films:

Super 8 - I saw this film under the stars at a midnight showing at a drive-in move theater in a field bordering a forest, and even in that ideal environment I couldn't get into it. I remember being really impressed with Elle Fanning, and loving everything up to the train crash, but it really got bogged down in Spielbergian melodrama from that moment onward. And I can't remember why right now but I remember really hating the ending.

The Prestige - I haven't seen this since it came out, and while I didn't love it then my taste in film has changed a lot since I was in high school. I'll give it another shot.

Super Troopers - It might be my #5 favourite film as well. You can watch it on a purely superficial level and be entertained, or you can turn your brain on and really enjoy it on a satirical level as well. It's really too bad that so many people didn't get the satire when it first came out. Also the special effects hold up incredibly well for a decade old film. Verhoeven is one of my favourite directors.

Mulholland Drive - Easily in my top 10 favourite films ever. I've seen it maybe a dozen times in my life and I get something new out of it every time. Lynch is another one of my favourite directors (I'm working my way through Twin Peaks right now).

A couple of my all-time favourites:

There Will be Blood: I walked out of the theater with my jaw on the floor thinking "holy crap, that was the best movie I've ever seen." The story takes the founding pillars of America, capitalism and religion, strips them of any semblance of morality and pits them against each other. Everything from the Johnny Greenwood soundtrack to DDL's performance to the amazing cinematography struck an incredible chord. If you haven't seen it I can't recommend it enough. Actually anything PTA does is gold. Magnolia is in my top-10 as well, and I can't wait for The Master later this year.

Sunshine: This film is justifiably criticized for falling apart in the last act, but up until then it's one of the best sci-fi flicks ever made. The ship is supposed to be filled with humanity's best and brightest, and unlike a recent sci-fi film that just came out, they actually act like it. When things go wrong it's not due to stupid decisions, and so you really end up hoping these people in this impossible situation make it out OK. Also the cinematography is phenomenal and the John Murphy score is really, really good.

True Romance: Probably the most purely entertaining film I've ever seen. It was written by Tarantino but directed by Tony Scott, so you get the great dialogue but it doesn't overstay it's welcome like it does in some other Tarantino films (Jackie Brown for instance). The story's great, the soundtrack is fantastic, and there are a couple of scenes here that rank among cinema's best, thanks in large part to some great character acting by a really talented cast (Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Dennis Hopper, Brad Pitt, Samuel L. Jackson, Val Kilmer, James Gandolfini). And most of those guys are only in 1 or 2 scenes.

Hmm something about There Will Be Blood just doesn't do it for me. Whether if it was just the unique plot or characters, I felt like I was watching something I knew little about.

On a side note, I was browsing RottenTomatoes and noticed Moonlight Kingdom scored a 94% with all critics, 98% with top critics, and a 91% with audiences... Has anyone heard much about this film?

Comments on The Prestige:

In any good story, it's always best for the audience to feel attached the protagonist. It gives a sense of value to what's happening in the movie as well as giving the director an ability to throw out his message more intentionally.

In The Prestige, who did you really side with? Did we all feel very sympathetic with Robert (Hugh Jackman), or did we feel more sympathetic with Alfred (Christian Bale)?

Or would you disagree with the premise of the question and regard this film to be unique, not having any feelings towards either and more of an entertainment to see it all unfold?

Number 3 favourite film of all time, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."

I first watched WFRR in the theatres when I was 6 years old, and it has stuck with me ever since. There is absolutely nothing about this movie that I don't love. Obviously it brings me back to childhood, but I find that it has held up so incredibly well after all these years.

Robert Zemeckis' early work was really a delight to watch. " I Want To Hold Your Hand," "Romancing The Stone," "Back to the Future," and "Forrest Gump." Zemeckis really had a strong hand at putting together films that were really a delight to watch. His latest work has not been very good at all, and do not channel what he once was able to create. I used to hear my grandparents talk about how going to films in the 20s, 30s, and 40s was a magical experience. I can honestly say that the only time I have felt like going to the theatres was a magical experience, was when I exposed to Robert Zemeckis' films.

To me, that is what Who Framed Roger Rabbit was like. It was a truly magical experience. To see Bob Hoskins on screen with Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse. Truly fantastic. There is nothing about this film that I have any complaints or issues with.

Thank you Benny the Cab, Toon Patrol, Baby Herman, Judge Doom, and Marvin Acme for making my childhood such a delight.

Hmm something about There Will Be Blood just doesn't do it for me. Whether if it was just the unique plot or characters, I felt like I was watching something I knew little about.

On a side note, I was browsing RottenTomatoes and noticed Moonlight Kingdom scored a 94% with all critics, 98% with top critics, and a 91% with audiences... Has anyone heard much about this film?

Law Abiding Citizen.

One of the most exciting and intriguing movie I've ever seen. It's incredibly underrated for some reason and doesn't get the hype/consideration it truly deserves.

What's the movie about? (Spoiler free, hopefully :P ) : a 'criminal' - Clyde - gets put behind bars after he takes revenge on someone who did something that changed his life. Before the life changing incident occurred, he was a normal man you can say with good intentions. The 2 who did the actions are taken to court but are not proven guilty becuse of no DNA evidence. Clyde is astonished that his lawyer, Rice, cannot close the case as he settles with the other lawyer. One of the person who changed his life was later arrested 10 years down the road and during his death sentence, something goes incredibly wrong. After taking vengeance on him, he goes after and slaughters the other person who changed his life and is then sentenced to prison. There, he doesn't stop. "The system must pay", is is his motif for the poor penalties and charges the courts have done and in prison locked behind bars, he still manages to slaughter those involved in the district attorney and others related to it while telling Rice exactly what he is capable and will do; Rice is in charge of stopping all this.

...I suck at explaining, but watch the trailer, it's an awesome movie and it won't let you down.

I watched The Prestige, as per D Money's suggestion. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, as I'm not fond of the cast, and I almost passionately dislike Christopher Nolan's work as a director (sorry, Monty). I just find his work is often mis"read" as being a lot deeper than it actually is.

yikes, genius?

if plainview was honestly in a bowling alley to 'symbolize' he's in a metaphorical gutter, that is a crude insult to the intelligence of the viewer. as if plainview's moral descent wasn't clear enough before that epilogue?

pt anderson is a great director, but he occasionally messes with a good idea, imo

aren't you a sensitive one?

wasn't trying to suggest you (or anyone) is an idiot, i'm just saying that the epilogue wasn't needed to prove anything, and i think it was just another example of pt anderson's occasional excess

you're welcome to disagree all you like, it's all just a matter of opinion

Law Abiding Citizen.

One of the most exciting and intriguing movie I've ever seen. It's incredibly underrated for some reason and doesn't get the hype/consideration it truly deserves.

What's the movie about? (Spoiler free, hopefully :P ) : a 'criminal' - Clyde - gets put behind bars after he takes revenge on someone who did something that changed his life. Before the life changing incident occurred, he was a normal man you can say with good intentions. The 2 who did the actions are taken to court but are not proven guilty becuse of no DNA evidence. Clyde is astonished that his lawyer, Rice, cannot close the case as he settles with the other lawyer. One of the person who changed his life was later arrested 10 years down the road and during his death sentence, something goes incredibly wrong. After taking vengeance on him, he goes after and slaughters the other person who changed his life and is then sentenced to prison. There, he doesn't stop. "The system must pay", is is his motif for the poor penalties and charges the courts have done and in prison locked behind bars, he still manages to slaughter those involved in the district attorney and others related to it while telling Rice exactly what he is capable and will do; Rice is in charge of stopping all this.

...I suck at explaining, but watch the trailer, it's an awesome movie and it won't let you down.

I thought it was terrible. I liked the idea of the story but as soon as the movie got into how he managed to accomplish all that it got rediculous. The premise of the story had great potential and they threw it all away. It just wasn't believable whatsoever.

Archived