The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Incredible Movies

dajusta

Beasts of the Southern Wild: One of the best debut features I've ever seen by a new director. It all hinges on the performance of the 7 year old lead named Quvanzhane Wallis and she absolutely nails it. There were around 30 people in the theatre, and not a single person left before the credits were over and the lights were on. I've honestly never seen that before. I can't recommend it highly enough. 9.5/10

Brothers:

A story about a man who goes out to war and is presumed dead. His wife and children live their lives without knowing that the main character (Tobey Macguire) is being held captive and tortured. He eventually returns home but is not the same man.

I really enjoyed this film. It really plays on your emotions. I can't really put it into words without spoiling too much. I recommend this movie to anyone.

I'm sorry for the short response, but I am by no means a good writer.

Surprised it hasn't been brought up yet......

V For Vendetta

Just an amazing film front to back. It has everything you could ever want in a movie....action, drama, romance, suspense, history, comedy, great music score, great acting and a great story.

Blood Diamond

Another awesome film! Moving as well as eye-opening. Just re-watched recently...possibly Leo Dicaprio's best performance.

220px-Senna.jpg

Senna A Documentary about the 3 time F1 champion shows the human side of the sport, and insight into his life. An amazing movie for anyone vaguely interested in racing, but should be a quality viewing even for people who aren't interested in autosports. Includes interviews from when he raced, as well as later with people who knew him. When you watch, you become as emotionally attached to him as the Brazilians who were looking for hope during the time he raced

^^^ Senna was incredibly enjoyable, and I have zero interest in F1 Racing. My wife, who pretty much has no interest in sports, also thoroughly enjoyed it. Such a terrific documentary.

That said, my number 1 favourite film of all time, that every person in the world needs to see, is the Coen Brothers "The Big Lebowski."

It feels like a cop out, because it is a comedy above anything else. But I have never enjoyed a film as much as I have when watching The Dude.

- nailing the wooding doorstop in his apartment, which did absolutely nothing to stop people coming in.

The Dude is just the most useless person, and he surrounds himself with losers. Best. Movie. Ever.

Oldboy

linnaryone-Oldboy-2.jpg

After being locked in a hotel room without any explaination for fifteen long years, Oh Dae-su (Min-sik Choi) is set free. Dae-su makes it his mission to get revenge on his former captives, but before he can do this he must figure out who they are and more importantly why they did this to him.

It's a dark ride with many twists and turns that will keep you in suspense. A fine display of acting by Min-sik Choi, who plays a convincing semi-madman protagonist. (If you liked him in this movie, then watch him in "I Saw the Devil" if not for shock value alone)

Although it has a large cult following, many dismiss it for having unnecessary violence and a lack of real depth. Both of these claims can be justifiable. But nevertheless, it is an experience that is certainly worth a watch.

So Citizen Kane, which had previously been the "Greatest Movie in the World" for 50+ years in the most important film poll around (Sight & Sound), was overtaken by Vertigo this week. I've never understood why people love Vertigo so much, and people are really enjoying telling me why I'm wrong.

So for the sake of stimulating discussion, here are my top 10 "everybody loves this but me" films

1) Halloween - It just doesn't hold up at all

2) Robocop - PVDH is one of my all-time favorite directors, but this one bores me

3) Blazing Saddles - I actually can't stand most Mel Brooks films

4) The Conversation - I love The Godfather films and Apocalypse Now, but Coppola's other "classic" film doesn't do anything for me

5) The French Connection - Other than that amazing car chase, this movie is boring as hell

6) Serpico - Great acting, but it's way too long

7) North by Northwest - I really love most Hitchcock, but for some reason this one and Vertigo never clicked for me

8) Blue (from Kieslowsky's "3 colours" trilogy)

9) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - It's very quotable, but that doesn't make it good

10) Ghostbusters - I'll watch it if it's on TV but I just don't understand why it's considered to be a classic

Feel free to tell me what I'm missing...

Korean cinema is quickly becoming my new film obsession. The Vengeance Trilogy, Mother, Poetry, The Host, A Tale of 2 Sisters, I Saw the Devil, The Good the Bad and the Weird, Thirst.... So many amazing movies have come out of South Korea in the past decade. They just have a kinetic feel to them that Hollywood films rarely do anymore. And so many of them are about revenge and guilt (understandable based on the history in that region), and those themes are great breeding grounds for genre films.

So I agree wholeheartedly with the Oldboy recommendation, and if you like it, try checking out Mother or The Host. It's well worth it.

So Citizen Kane, which had previously been the "Greatest Movie in the World" for 50+ years in the most important film poll around (Sight & Sound), was overtaken by Vertigo this week. I've never understood why people love Vertigo so much, and people are really enjoying telling me why I'm wrong.

So for the sake of stimulating discussion, here are my top 10 "everybody loves this but me" films

1) Halloween - It just doesn't hold up at all

2) Robocop - PVDH is one of my all-time favorite directors, but this one bores me

3) Blazing Saddles - I actually can't stand most Mel Brooks films

4) The Conversation - I love The Godfather films and Apocalypse Now, but Coppola's other "classic" film doesn't do anything for me

5) The French Connection - Other than that amazing car chase, this movie is boring as hell

6) Serpico - Great acting, but it's way too long

7) North by Northwest - I really love most Hitchcock, but for some reason this one and Vertigo never clicked for me

8) Blue (from Kieslowsky's "3 colours" trilogy)

9) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - It's very quotable, but that doesn't make it good

10) Ghostbusters - I'll watch it if it's on TV but I just don't understand why it's considered to be a classic

Feel free to tell me what I'm missing...

So here's a list of my favorite films and my own synopses for them. The first 2 are my favorite films, followed by my 'next 8 favorite' (and I put that in quotes because it's not so cut and dry) in no particular order. After that I added a few more that I couldn't decide whether or not I like them better than some that I've put for my top 10 or not (such as Punch-Drunk Love vs Stranger Than Fiction - I'll post my reasoning for this then)

American Beauty

American Beauty is my favorite movie. Not only is it acted very well (evidenced by the fact that Kevin Spacey won an oscar for best male actory) but the script is superb along with the directing and everything else. What I like most about this film is the fact that the ending is such a surprise and you (at least this was the case for me) have to watch the movie again to understand it, and it's so obvious, yet unless you were paying attention to it, you wouldn't pick it up.

I'm not spoiling anything (as the first thing that happens in the film is the main character played by Spacey gets killed) by saying that the main character dies and the surprise at the ending is, who did it? Now this isn't all that this movie's about. It's about Spacey's character changing a lot about himself in the final year of his life to the point where you're disappointed to see him die, but it doesn't matter.

Anyways I'm really not a good writer so I'll end this (as with all my synopses) with at least 1 quote from the movie:

"This is a $4,000 sofa, upholstered in Italian silk. It is not just a couch."

Braveheart

While someone else has already talked about this I figured I'd add a bit of conversation to this film and why it was so good. I first watched this movie when I was between 16-18 (I can't remember exactly when) and for whatever reason (maybe I thought it was too violent, something I hadn't been used to seeing at the time) didn't find it to be an amazing film. The next time I watched it I was around 20 years old and I loved it.

The film is about a Scotsman who leads a rebellion against the English to make Scotland a free nation not under the rule of England. Mel Gibson does a fantastic job as the lead character William Wallace. What this film does well is give you an appreciation for his character, what he's fighting for, allows you to sympathize with his reasons for getting started in the first place, and want him to succeed. One thing I also really liked about this film was his 2nd romance in the film with the gorgeous Sophie Marceau. Feel free to read other reviews if you want a better understanding of the film, or just watch it as it is an excellent movie.

"I know. I know you can fight, but it's our wits that make us men."

Unbreakable

Unbreakable approaches the idea of 'What if there really are superheroes in this world but they just don't know it?' and does a good job of giving a 'believable' scenario for this with Bruce Willis playing the lead character and thus an unassuming superhero. This is in my opinion M Night Shyamalan's best film (I'm not a big fan of his other films. Somehow The Sixth Sense was spoiled for me as I was either told about the surprised or just assumed it) and a really good one at that.

While I didn't necessarily care for all the characters in this film (Bruce Willis' characters wife played by Robin Wright being one I didn't totally care for) the acting is nevertheless really well done. What really drives this film is the progression of Willis' character's coming to terms with the fact that he is in fact a super-hero, led on by the supporting acting of Samuel L Jackson. I don't want to say much else to avoid spoiling anything.

"They called me Mr. Glass."

Van Wilder

I don't know if this is my favorite comedy but it's at least on par with my other favorites (Office Space, Monty Python and the Holy Grail among others). The thing I like most about this film is the acting of Ryan Reynolds. While this is a comedy, it wouldn't be nearly as good without his great acting to lead the way as a very likeable collegiate in his 7th year at Coolidge College. The story is essentially his dad realizing that he's in his 7th year of college and telling him that he's no longer going to pay for his schooling. Ryan's character must then fund his own way and ultimately graduate from the school.

"White, elastic band, constricting. You can tell a lot about a person by the kind of drawers they wear. Like you - granny panties i bet."

Good Will Hunting

I'm not really sure how to write up a review of this movie. It won 2 Oscars. Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen and Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Robin Williams). While there is a lot of foul language in this film, which given the background of the main character makes perfect sense, it is so well done.

Matt Damon does an excellent and convincing job portraying Will Hunting, an unassuming genius that grew up in south Boston through various foster homes, which has caused him emotional problems and sets up for why this genius is not working somewhere where his brilliant brain can be used.

After getting seen by a professor at MIT solving one of his very difficult math problems in the hall, Damon disappears in the halls and the professor doesn't even get his name. Will is then sentenced to jail time after hitting a cop while he and other cops were trying to break up a fight started by Will. The professor at MIT after figuring out who Will is and that he's been sentenced to jail makes a deal to take custody of him with the expectation that he'll work on math problems with the professor and attend sessions with a psychiatrist, who eventually settles to be Robin William's character.

I suppose the thing I like the most about this film is the intelligent script and the acting, and once again a change in the main character that forces him to a new stage of his life.

"Do you buy all these books retail or do you send away for, like, a shrink kit that comes with all these volumes included?

The Shawshank Redemption

There's a good reason that this film is the highest rated film on IMDB. The main character Andy Dufresne (played by Tim Robbins) is a wrongfully convicted banker of murdering his wife and her extramarital lover. The ultimate driving force of this movie is Morgan Freeman's narration of the story as he sees it, but it's the ending of the film that sets it as the highest rated movie on IMDB. I don't really want to say much to avoid spoiling anything. If you haven't already watched this movie, you really should.

"These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized."

Payback

At this point in time I'd actually probably put Drive in my top 10 over this movie, but the constant twists in this movie set it apart from most other action thrillers I've watched. This movie is about a man who gets betrayed by his partner and his wife on a deal that sees him and his partner steal $140,000 from some Japanese yakuza and his course of action to get the $70,000 taken from him back.

While Mel Gibson in the lead role of this movie is a bad man, you do appreciate his character and his motivation for revenge, and you want him to succeed. I also do find Maria Bello very attractive in this movie which definitely affects some of my choices for movies I list here, that is, an attractive supporting actress.

"No, no, it's all right, he's just killing my alligator bags and shooting holes in my suits. Man, that's just MEAN. That's MEAN, man."

The Boondock Saints

I first watched this movie at a friends house having no idea of what this movie was about. There's a lot of language and violence in this movie but the premise is 2 irish brothers who get put in a situation where a couple of members of the Russian mob try to kill them, and they come out on top, then to make the decision to execute their own justice on all the bad/corrupt people in the city. The acting, script, and style of the film are what really drive this for me. Willem Dafoe does a superb job as an FBI agent figuring out what's happening with first the killings of the Russian mobsters that attempt to kill the 2 brothers, and then with their continued hits on other members of the mob.

There is humour throughout and constant action. This is probably my favorite action movie.

"Ah, #&*@ you! I'm sweatin' my ass off draggin' your @#%^in' rope around. Must weigh thirty pounds."

Stranger Than Fiction

This is Will Ferrell at his finest - in a drama. He pulls off being an unassuming tax auditor and a very likeable character. The intrigue with this film is that Harold Crick (played by Ferrell) starts hearing a voice narrating his existence and preludes to his death with the words "Little did he know that this simple seemingly inoccuous act would result in his immintent death", to which Ferrell goes about trying to find out how to deal with this issue, as the narrator is very accurately describing exactly what he's doing. While not the most likeable character, Maggie Gyllenhaal plays the love interest which ends up being a very appreciable part of the story - the relationship between the two.

"It was a really awful day. I know, I made sure of it. So pick up the cookie, dip it in the milk, and eat it."

Sin City

This movie is like watching a graphic novel on tv. The directors did such a good job of making this film exactly like the graphic novel by Frank Miller that it's based off of, with an excellent cast to boot. Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke, Carla Gugino, Brittany Murphy, Jessica Alba, Devon Aoki, Alexis Bledel, Benicio Del Toro, Rosario Dawson, Josh Hartnett, Elijah Wood, and the list goes on.

This movie basically intermingles 3 different stories together. A cop (Willis) who saves a girl from a pedophile who's the son of a high ranking politician, a thug (Rourke) who gets framed for killing a prostitute of which a number of have already gone missing (my favorite sections of the movie), and a guy (Owen) who helps a former love keep peace between a section of the city run by hookers, and the cops.

"I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad."

Closer

With a stellar cast of 4 (Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, and Jude Law - I like him the least of the 4 but he is a good actor), this movie is all about dialogue and the relationships between these 4 people. If you like well written and acted dramas I'd definitely recommend this.

"I've about got another 500 quid here. Why don't I just give you all this money and you tell me what your real name is, Alice."

Punch-Drunk Love

As with Stranger Than Fiction this movie features a man normally in comedic movies doing a very good job in a dramatic role, that being Adam Sandler. Adam's character is a custom plunger salesman who runs into trouble with some people that run a sex chat line after they abuse the information (namely his credit card info) he gave to them in confidence. In the mean time he hooks up with a chick played by Emily Mortimer (who I love in this role) and totally falls for her when he goes to Hawaii to meet up with her and get away from the issues he has (his sister, company, and dealing with the chat line company people).

The latter part of the movie as alluded to by the title is to show the power love can have on an individual.

"I'm lookin' at your face and I just wanna smash it. I just wanna #$%^in' smash it with a sledgehammer and squeeze it. You're so pretty."

Pride & Prejudice

I first saw this movie because I'd heard good things about it and the main actor is Keira Knightley of whom I think is the most beautiful actress and I love her character. I'd never read the book before or seen any previous movies/etc about this story before so I had no idea really what this was going to be like (and I think that's the best way to go about seeing this movie). With no expectations I didn't pick up on some hints as to how the film would turn out and so for that reason this film really worked for me. I loved the ending. I think Marcy Gomez on IMDB does a great job of briefly describing the movie with this:

The story is based on Jane Austen's novel about five sisters - Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty and Lydia Bennet - in Georgian England. Their lives are turned upside down when a wealthy young man (Mr. Bingley) and his best friend (Mr. Darcy) arrive in their neighborhood.

"Not all of us can afford to be romantic, Lizzy."

If you haven't seen this movie, go into it with no expectations and watch and enjoy it for the special effects. This is how I went into this movie and I very much did enjoy the story because I had no expectations at all based on everything I'd heard about it being like Dances With Wolves/Pocahontas/etc. Because of this I didn't pick up on some obvious clues as to what would happen later in the film from what was happening at certain points in the film and wasn't so critical of the film either. I really enjoyed it and still do when I watch it every so often.

If you don't know anything about the movie it's about a marine who has to bond with an alien species on the planet Pandora and get them to move their colony of people from their current location for the purpose of mining an expensive mineral located below it. He does this because his twin brother who had been working as a scientist to study life on an alien planet Pandora by linking with an avatar - which looks like the alien species on Pandora, dies and he is a biological match to take over being able to control this avatar. Unlike the other scientists who use avatars, Jake Sully (played by Sam Worthington) is able and willing to learn what the indigenous tribe has to teach him, of whom his teacher is the clan leader's daughter.

If you missed this in the theater, that's unfortunate, as the special effects/CG are the best any movie's done yet, but in its own right it's a worthwhile movie to watch.

"Yeah, yeah, I know who you are and I don't need you. I need your brother. You know, the PhD who trained for 3 years for this mission."

Wall-E

This is my favorite animated film, and one of my favorite films of any genre. It's a movie set in a time when everything is so convenient that people don't even have to get out of a chair to live, and since the world's resources have been used up, the remainder of the human population is on a spaceship waiting for any of their robot probes sent out to look for signs of life to return with just that. Wall-E happens to be a lone robot left on earth busy doing his job of cleaning up the garbage left on earth, whos world is interrupted when one of these robots (a female named Eve) comes to earth looking for life. Wall-E falls in love and ends up hitching a ride on the rocket that sends the robot back to the spaceship to show that life has been found.

The reason I like this film so much is the subtle humour (such as Wall-E collecting various things on earth and placing them in his own collection of stuff finds a spork and gets confused as to whether to put it in his cup of forks or his cup of spoons) as well as the romance between Wall-E and Eve which was done really well. Another thing of note is that even though there's no real (or very little) dialogue for about the first 45 minutes, so much is expressed in the film.

"Eeeeeva?"

Batman Begins

With the two sequels being released since this (I haven't seen the latest one yet, though plan to this coming week) it's likely that most people here will have already seen this. Since the previous Batman films hadn't exactly been anything to write home about, I wasn't really interested in seeing this in the theater, however, after watching it by other means, I ended up seeing this in the theater for the 2nd time watching it, with my brother as I really enjoyed it the first time.

What I like about this movie is the realism portrayed in the movie and how believable the characters from the Batman universe are portrayed. As well I like how this version of batman really reminded me of the animated series I enjoyed watching as a kid. A lot of people don't like Bale's acting in this but I thought it was great, and a great depiction of Batman as I think he should be seen

"Justice is balance. You burned my house and left me for dead. Consider us even."

The Dark Knight

Other than the things I mentioned about Nolan's Batman series in my Batman Begins writeup, Ledger as The Joker was phenomenal. He made this movie as good as it is. The script was great, and acting all around was as well, but Heath as The Joker really set this one apart from any other super hero movie.

"Wanna know how I got these scars?"

Drive

Other people have already talked about this one. I just wanna add that one thing I really liked about this film was a combination of the moody atmospheric nature of the film contrasted by the stark violence that happens later on in the movie. Great direction and superb acting from Gosling made this movie great.

"You know, we're here celebrating but it's a shameful thing... what I did. And I have a lot of making up to do to everyone. But second chances are rare. Right? And that's worth celebrating."

Lost in Translation

A black comedy and one with great atmosphere. I loved the relationship between Bill Murray's character and Scarlett Johansson's, and of course Johansson is gorgeous in this. The mood, writing, acting, and pacing are what makes this movie great IMO.

"He's smiling. You like that idea? See they love black toe in this country."

Man on Fire

Excellent acting and directing as well as once again a theme of change. Denzel Washington plays a retired cop with a drinking problem that moves to Mexico where his friend is and takes a job working as a bodyguard to the daughter of a mostly white family. He's not interested in making friends or doing anything but what his job entails, to the best of his abilities, but when he tries to kill himself and a misfire happens, he has a renewed appreciation for his life and his job, and develops a close relationship with the daughter he's protecting. When she gets kidnapped and the ransom exchange goes very wrong, he'll stop at nothing to get revenge on those responsible for the loss of the girl.

"A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever. It depends on how good he is at it. Creasey's art is death. He's about to paint his

masterpiece."

Eastern Promises

Viggo Mortensen won an oscar for his portrayal of a man trying to fit in well with a russian mob family. This story is of a woman (Naomi Watts - one of my favorite actresses) who takes a baby from a foreign girl after she dies giving birth and whom has no identification, save for a diary. Upon prying into the diary to try and find the family that should be the recipient of the baby Watts' character finds it tied to the Russian mob family.

The whole story is just so well acted, written, and directed (David Cronenberg), and gives a very realistic depiction of what I'd imagine life in that situation is like.

"SOkay. Now I'm going to do his teeth and cut off his fingers. You might want to leave room."

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Pulp Fiction. To me it is one of the greatest of all time. Great plot, good acting, and full of surprises. I walked into the theatre having no idea what the movie was about and I left thinking "Holy %$^*, did I just watch all tha?" I was totally blown away (like Marvin's head).

Metropolis

One of the landmark films of the silent era, Paramount butchered it shortly after it's 1927 release and for decades over 1/4 of the film was considered lost, a few years ago a nearly complete version was found in Argentina and now a nearly complete version is available.

Made in Germany during the Weimar Period, Metropolis is set in a futuristic urban dystopia, and follows the attempts of Freder, the son of a wealthy intellectual, and Maria, whose background is not fully explained in the film, to overcome the vast gulf separating the classist nature of their city. Metropolis was filmed in 1925, at a cost of approximately four million Reichsmarks.[2] The film was met with a mixed response upon its initial release, with many critics praising its technical achievements while deriding its simplistic and naïve storyline. Due both to its long running-time and footage censors found questionable, Metropolis was cut substantially after its German premiere; large portions of the film were lost over the subsequent decades.

Numerous attempts have been made to restore the film since the 1970s-80s, and music producer Giorgio Moroder released a version with a soundtrack by rock artists such as Freddie Mercury and Adam Ant in 1984. A new reconstruction of Metropolis was shown at the Berlin Film Festival in 2001, and the film was inscribed on UNESCO's Memory of the World Register in the same year.[3] In 2008, a print of Lang’s original cut of the film was found in a museum in Argentina. After a long restoration process, the restored film was shown on large screens in Berlin and Frankfurt simultaneously on 12 February 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28film%29

• 3 weeks later...

original.jpg

Just saw Beasts of the Southern Wild tonight. Apart from some excessive shaky-cam usage, this is one of the most strangely watchable films I've seen. I loved the way they portrayed the community of the Bathtub without being condescending, just a collection of people trying to live their lives. The acting is amazing, as is the soundtrack.

Eight Men Out

A film that tells the story of the 1919 Black Sox scandal, much from the perspective of George "Buck" Weaver, a great performance by John Cusack. Star filled cast includes Charlie Sheen, Christopher Lloyd, John Mahoney, D.B Sweeny, Michael Rooker. It shows how the conditions existed to sow the seeds of discontent among the players, how the gamblers got their hooks into them, how it unfolded, was uncovered, and the aftermath.

Archived