The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Incredible Movies

dajusta

225px-Networkmovie.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/

Incredible because it was made in 1976, when people though of it as satire.

Probably a boring film to watch for some because it's so prophetic it has circled it's way around to present day reality. Which may result in a "what's the big deal, I don't get it" response unless you can put the 36 year gap in context.

Anyone watching Sorkin's The Newsroom should watch this film if you haven't already.

Asphalt Jungle a great crime caper goes bad film from 1950, a criminal mastermind is released from prison and immediately plans a big heist, puts together the crew to pull it off, then as the film goes along , piece by piece the whole thing starts to fall apart while the criminals try to stay ahead of the law and their own slowly unraveling plan.

No Country For Old Men

MV5BMjA5Njk3MjM4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTc5MTE1MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

On the one hand, this is a thriller about a man on the run from a stone-cold assassin. The first time I saw it, I was more paying attention to this aspect, and really missed the central "soul" of the movie. Because of this, although I overall enjoyed the movie, I found some of the plot devices strange (such as why the film completely avoided showing the murder of one of the main characters?). And then the ending...it just seemed empty.

The second time I watched it, I definitely got it - and it was like I was watching an entirely different film. The point of the movie wasn't simply the chase; it was about normally successful and resourceful people coming up against a new breed of evil. Most of the characters were used to dealing with criminals and dangerous men, but not this...this was beyond their capability to handle, or even understand. Being in tune with the heart of the movie and thoroughly engrossed with it, I enjoyed it ten-fold. The plot devices made sense, and I understood how they actually added power and impetus to the theme (not showing a murder made it seem all the more inevitable, even perfunctory). And the ending ...wow... it was one of the most perfect and down-right chilling conclusions to a movie I've ever seen.

It's amazing how different a movie can be depending on how you approach it.

No Country For Old Men

MV5BMjA5Njk3MjM4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTc5MTE1MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

On the one hand, this is a thriller about a man on the run from a stone-cold assassin. The first time I saw it, I was more paying attention to this aspect, and really missed the central "soul" of the movie. Because of this, although I overall enjoyed the movie, I found some of the plot devices strange (such as why the film completely avoided showing the murder of one of the main characters?). And then the ending...it just seemed empty.

The second time I watched it, I definitely got it - and it was like I was watching an entirely different film. The point wasn't of the movie was normally successful and resourceful people coming up against a new breed of evil. Most of the characters were used to dealing with criminals and dangerous men, but not this...this was beyond their capability to handle, or even understand. Being in tune with the heart of the movie and thoroughly engrossed with it, I enjoyed it ten-fold. The plot devices made sense, and I understood how they actually added power and impetus to the theme (not showing a murder made it seem all the more inevitable, even perfunctory). And the ending ...wow... it was one of the most perfect and down-right chilling conclusions to a movie I've ever seen.

It's amazing how different a movie can be depending on how you approach it.

Second favourite film of all time, "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938).

Obviously the best Robin Hood movie ever made, this is not even an argument. Technically speaking though, this film was shot so perfectly, at a time when films were just "point and shoot." Co-directed by Michael Curtiz, who went on to direct Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood would be an ambitious project for todays standards, let alone for 1938.

I watch Robin Hood at least twice a year and never grow tired of it. Errol Flynn and Olivia de Haviland would be big stars today in Hollywood. The two acted together countless times, and their chemistry in Robin Hood really goes to show how much fun these two had on screen.

If you have not seen The Adventures of Robin Hood, you are really missing out. It's not worth renting, just go out and buy it already.

I saw three movies this week that were all better than anything I saw last year:

Dark Knight Rises: It lacked that spark that made Dark Knight one of my all-time favourite films, but it was stupidly entertaining. The stunts were fantastic, the scope was epic, Hans Zimmer's score is phenomenal and Cat Woman didnt ruin the movie at all. 9/10

Moonrise Kingdom: Wes Anderson's films work better when the protagonists are children IMO. Anyway this is now tied with Life Aquatic and Rushmore as my favourite Anderson flick. You're guaranteed to leave the theatre with a big stupid grin on your face. 9/10

Beasts of the Southern Wild: One of the best debut features I've ever seen by a new director. It all hinges on the performance of the 7 year old lead named Quvanzhane Wallis and she absolutely nails it. There were around 30 people in the theatre, and not a single person left before the credits were over and the lights were on. I've honestly never seen that before. I can't recommend it highly enough. 9.5/10

Chinatown

225px-Chinatownposter1.jpg

The "perfect" film noir. Starts off as a small story, then builds/reveals layer after layer. Jack Nicholson gives one of his greatest performances.

This movie, and the classics it drew its inspiration from, are often mimicked poorly. Newer film noir movies usually include glaring plot holes, unbelievable characters...and then littered over-the-top sex and violence to distract you from the poor storytelling. Not here.

I saw three movies this week that were all better than anything I saw last year:

Dark Knight Rises: It lacked that spark that made Dark Knight one of my all-time favourite films, but it was stupidly entertaining. The stunts were fantastic, the scope was epic, Hans Zimmer's score is phenomenal and Cat Woman didnt ruin the movie at all. 9/10

Moonrise Kingdom: Wes Anderson's films work better when the protagonists are children IMO. Anyway this is now tied with Life Aquatic and Rushmore as my favourite Anderson flick. You're guaranteed to leave the theatre with a big stupid grin on your face. 9/10

Beasts of the Southern Wild: One of the best debut features I've ever seen by a new director. It all hinges on the  performance of the 7 year old lead named Quvanzhane Wallis and she absolutely nails it. There were around 30 people in the theatre, and not a single person left before the credits were over and the lights were on. I've honestly never seen that before. I can't recommend it highly enough. 9.5/10

The Power of One

This movie was very well done and spoke to me very deeply.

This is a description ( I did not write this though)

First with your head and then with your heart… So says Hoppie Groenewald, boxing champion, to a seven-year-old boy who dreams of being the welterweight champion of the world. For the young Peekay, it is a piece of advice he will carry with him throughout his life. Born in a South Africa divided by racism and hatred, this one small boy will come to lead all the tribes of Africa. Through enduring friendships with Hymie and Gideon, Peekay gains the strength he needs to win out. And in a final conflict with his childhood enemy, the Judge, Peekay will fight to the death for justice … Bryce Courtenay’s classic bestseller is a story of the triumph of the human spirit – a spellbinding tale of all ages. "It’s hard to imagine a reader delivering his audience so completely to a foreign locale as Humphrey Bower does in this coming-of-age novel." —

Yes it is a novel made into a movie.

“The Power of One has everything: suspense, the exotic, violence; mysticism, psychology and magic; schoolboy adventures, drama.”

–The New York Times

“Unabashedly uplifting . . . asserts forcefully what all of us would like to believe: that the individual, armed with the spirit of independence–‘the power of one’–can prevail.”

–Cleveland Plain Dealer

http://youtu.be/qO5HvbGgqKU

Second favourite film of all time, "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938).

Obviously the best Robin Hood movie ever made, this is not even an argument. Technically speaking though, this film was shot so perfectly, at a time when films were just "point and shoot." Co-directed by Michael Curtiz, who went on to direct Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood would be an ambitious project for todays standards, let alone for 1938.

I watch Robin Hood at least twice a year and never grow tired of it. Errol Flynn and Olivia de Haviland would be big stars today in Hollywood. The two acted together countless times, and their chemistry in Robin Hood really goes to show how much fun these two had on screen.

If you have not seen The Adventures of Robin Hood, you are really missing out. It's not worth renting, just go out and buy it already.

Chinatown

225px-Chinatownposter1.jpg

The "perfect" film noir. Starts off as a small story, then builds/reveals layer after layer. Jack Nicholson gives one of his greatest performances.

This movie, and the classics it drew its inspiration from, are often mimicked poorly. Newer film noir movies usually include glaring plot holes, unbelievable characters...and then littered over-the-top sex and violence to distract you from the poor storytelling. Not here.

Just watched Super 8 since it got a few mentions in this thread. It was good but I can't honestly say I thought it was incredible. As a drama/adventure movie I enjoyed it, but when it comes to sci-fi movies I generally like ones that are more in-depth and make you think about the moral/ethics of the story (realistic or not). That being said I watched it with an open mind and as I said, it was enjoyable.

Here's one of my favorites:

City of God (Cidade de Deus)

Based on a true story. Celebrated with worldwide acclaim, this powerful true story of crime and redemption has won numerous prestigious awards around the globe. The streets of the world's most notorious slum, Rio de Janeiro's "City of God," are a place where combat photographers fear to tread, police rarely go, and residents are lucky if they live to the age of 20. In the midst of the oppressive crime and violence, a frail and scared young boy will grow up to discover that he can view the harsh realities of his surroundings with a different eye: the eye of an artist. In the face of impossible odds, his brave ambition to become a professional photographer becomes a window into his world ... and ultimately his way out!

The cinematography is excellent and the acting is superb which is very impressive considering most of the actors in the movie were non-professionals. I love gritty foreign crime films and this is one of the best.

Oldboy

linnaryone-Oldboy-2.jpg

After being locked in a hotel room without any explaination for fifteen long years, Oh Dae-su (Min-sik Choi) is set free. Dae-su makes it his mission to get revenge on his former captives, but before he can do this he must figure out who they are and more importantly why they did this to him.

It's a dark ride with many twists and turns that will keep you in suspense. A fine display of acting by Min-sik Choi, who plays a convincing semi-madman protagonist. (If you liked him in this movie, then watch him in "I Saw the Devil" if not for shock value alone)

Although it has a large cult following, many dismiss it for having unnecessary violence and a lack of real depth. Both of these claims can be justifiable. But nevertheless, it is an experience that is certainly worth a watch.

Archived