Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Incredible Movies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
172 replies to this topic

#151 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

you didn't find the dad's acting to be absolutely... awful? his never-ending DMX tone, and that scene where he wakes up from his sleep when those people were at the door.. haha.

the secondary characters weren't very emotive, either

the little girl was good for what she did, but what did she do? a lot of voice over work, and a lot of stone faced staring with a few screams. i dunno man, i'm really not sold.

amazing soundtrack, and the visuals were regularly amazing though.

agreed on the shaky camera, too

i mean, i enjoyed it. still give it like a 7/10 or whatever. i just wanted to love it, so in not loving it, i was disappointed

i walked out of the theatre loving the movie but in all honesty i haven't given it much thought since then so i can't say i'd stand by that as strongly as i did.

at first the whole movie actually bugged me a lot, but once i got used to the unprofessionalness i guess of the acting it didn't bother me so much. i'll agree with the girl though to an extent though haha.

i didn't find the middle to be draggy at all, it took a while to get me into but once it got going i was pretty engrossed.

i remember thinking that even though it had a lot of flaws, the overall impact of it cancelled those out, but i don't know if that would hold true on repeated viewings.

Posted Image

#152 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

also has anyone seen the master yet? nelson has crap all for movie theatres so i may have to cave in and watch some stream of it

Posted Image

#153 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

i haven't seen The Master yet, and I've read/heard SO many mixed things, that I think I might just wait.

I'm excited to see Seven Psychopaths, despite the awful title. Tom Waits is in it, and it's done by Martin McDonagh, whose "In Bruges" is one of the best movies I've ever seen of its genre. Not to mention it also stars Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, and Colin Farrell

Argo might be good too. It's so strange how Ben Affleck has gone from a walking punchline to one of Hollywood's premier directors.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 10 October 2012 - 12:13 AM.

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#154 peener

peener

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

the jerk
Posted Image

Twilight Sparkle rocks the house

#155 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

good input

marge.jpg

#156 peener

peener

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

thanks i agree
Posted Image

Twilight Sparkle rocks the house

#157 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

also has anyone seen the master yet? nelson has crap all for movie theatres so i may have to cave in and watch some stream of it

I saw it, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's a gorgeous film with an amazing score and even better performances, but I'm not sure what I got out of watching it. Control is the obvious theme of the film, but I'm not quite sure what PTA was trying to say on the subject. It's also a film without an ending, so you'll end up leaving the theater wondering "is that it?" and then you'll probably run home and look up reviews trying to figure out what exactly PTA was trying to say.

PTA is my favourite director and my excitement for this movie was Dark Knight Rises-esque (I blew off dinner with friends to catch the premier) so I'm probably being a little unfair. There Will be Blood and Magnolia might be my 2 favourite films. But this one just kind of left me cold.

All that being said, I'd recommend seeing it. And not on your laptop if you can help it. I can't imagine that it would do it justice.

Props to canuckbuddy for the sig

#158 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

caught that Beasts of the Southern Wild tonight.

really, really disappointed. strong start, strong finish, but there's about a 45 minute lull in the middle.

wasn't impressed by the acting, either. mega disappointed, i really wanted to love it.

That's too bad. I absolutely loved everything about it. I kind of have a thing for stream-of-consciousness movies though.
I'm really surprised you weren't a fan of the acting because both the kid and the dad absolutely blew me away, but to each his own.

Here's one I saw recently:

Heavenly Creatures - Peter Jackson's first "respectable" film after a run of hilariously over-the-top splatter comedies. I'm pretty sure it's Kate Winslet's first film as well. Anyway it's a true story of two teenage girls who fall in love and when their parents conspire to keep them apart they decide that the only way they can be together is to kill them. Large portions of the movie are spent in the elaborate fantasy worlds that the girls dream up for themselves, and Peter Jackson does a phenomenal job of bringing them to life (with the same SFX studio that did the LOTR movies if I'm not mistaken). Actually the whole movie kind of plays like a fairy tale, except that Jackson starts with the murder then goes back in time to the girls' first meeting, and also peppers the film with readings from one of the girls' real-life diaries, so the whole movie has kind of a dark tinge to it. Highly recommended.

PS. is your sig from Days of Heaven? Because that's a movie that could easily be in this thread. I watched the criterion blu-ray a few weeks ago and holy crap. Has a more gorgeous movie ever been made?

#159 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Gomorrah.

This is a dark and gritty movie about the mafia in Southern Italy and portrays true events throughout the film. It is nothing like the Hollywood mafia movies, much more real, much less-glamorous and much darker.

It is available in HD on Netflix.

Posted Image

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#160 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

That's too bad. I absolutely loved everything about it. I kind of have a thing for stream-of-consciousness movies though.
I'm really surprised you weren't a fan of the acting because both the kid and the dad absolutely blew me away, but to each his own.

Here's one I saw recently:

Heavenly Creatures - Peter Jackson's first "respectable" film after a run of hilariously over-the-top splatter comedies. I'm pretty sure it's Kate Winslet's first film as well. Anyway it's a true story of two teenage girls who fall in love and when their parents conspire to keep them apart they decide that the only way they can be together is to kill them. Large portions of the movie are spent in the elaborate fantasy worlds that the girls dream up for themselves, and Peter Jackson does a phenomenal job of bringing them to life (with the same SFX studio that did the LOTR movies if I'm not mistaken). Actually the whole movie kind of plays like a fairy tale, except that Jackson starts with the murder then goes back in time to the girls' first meeting, and also peppers the film with readings from one of the girls' real-life diaries, so the whole movie has kind of a dark tinge to it. Highly recommended.

PS. is your sig from Days of Heaven? Because that's a movie that could easily be in this thread. I watched the criterion blu-ray a few weeks ago and holy crap. Has a more gorgeous movie ever been made?

I think the fact that I wanted to love it and didn't really fuelled my dissatisfaction, and made my opinion maybe a bit more harsh than it should have been. I had the same reaction to Moonrise Kingdom, which I wanted to love as well. I just re-watched Moonrise the other day, and I quite enjoyed it (more than I did the first time). So I'll definitely give Beasts another view.

And I've never seen Heavenly Creatures myself, but when I was a kid I was a big fan of Jackson's work. My mother made the mistake of letting me watch "horror" movies at an early age, which really anchored my taste for a long time, but my appreciation for Jackson's early low budget movies stays in tact. I even have a soft spot for The Frighteners. I should give Heavenly Creatures a try too, even though Jackson's later work (outside of LOTR) hasn't really done a whole lot for me.

And yep, Days of Heaven. Good eye!

marge.jpg

#161 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Just saw Looper, was a really good, original movie...but character development wasn't all that great. I don't want to say too much, at risk of spoiling the movie.

/=S=/

#162 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

I don't have time to invest into a huge write-up, but Lord of War was a great movie.

Below is probably one of the greatest introducing scenes to any movie, it is from Lord of War and it doesn't spoil the movie. Note though that it is a bit graphic near the end.

Edited by JeremyW, 15 October 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#163 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

Into the Wild:

Great adventure movie, based on a true story of a man named Chris McCandless who abandon everything he had (money, family, etc), so he could live freely in the Alaskan wild. The cinematography is simply stunning and Hirsch played the lead role perfectly.

Edited by shiznak, 16 October 2012 - 03:25 AM.

2gx0j6x.png

#164 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

Bat*21

Interesting and somewhat overlooked Vietnam War movie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat*21
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#165 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

The Prestige

A movie about magicians, which unfolds like a magic trick in itself. The acting and directing are fantastic, and the concept unique and compelling.

But the real treat in this movie is in re-watching it (multiple times, even), and seeing how many times you, the viewer, were completely played.

Just watched it, complete mindf***. That was the most insane movie that i am still trying to fully understand.
Posted Image

#166 kyleunrau

kyleunrau

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

I randomly came across the movie Trust last night. Really intense movie about a child predator on the internet. Really tore me up, especially given the Amanda Todd story.

Here is a review from Roger Ebert:

http://rogerebert.su...VIEWS/110339996
Posted Image

#167 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Wow. Some of you mentioned movies just released this past month. It can't be incredible. You just liked it but it's not incredible. Incredible movies withstand the test of time. Therefore the most incredible movie of all time is.....

THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

You, your children, you grandkids and their children will watch this movie.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#168 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Wow. Some of you mentioned movies just released this past month. It can't be incredible. You just liked it but it's not incredible. Incredible movies withstand the test of time. Therefore the most incredible movie of all time is.....

THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

You, your children, you grandkids and their children will watch this movie.

So just because people find that there were incredible movies made in the last several years (or months), that doesn't make them incredible?And The Sound of Music is not incredible. Tolerable at best.The Adventures of Robin Hood with the rapist Errol Flynn, now that's an incredible film.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#169 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

I think the point of this thread was to start discussions on what makes a movie great or not. Doesn't have to be the best of all time. So when people say "I dunno why, but I enjoyed Step Brothers last night" it sorta defeats the purpose.

Conversation, people! Conversation.

marge.jpg

#170 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

I like The Usual Suspects. A classic.

#171 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

If you're looking for some great horror films to watch this time of year here are some of my favs:

1) The Shining

True story: During my first year at McGill I started having panic attacks, which I went to go see a school physician about. One of the ways that you cure recurrent panic attacks is to induce them in the patient, and then using relaxation techniques to bring them back to baseline. Once you know you can get out of them they're not scary anymore, and once you lose the fear of them they stop occurring.

The point is, the way they induced panic attacks in me was by putting me in a dark room and playing this trailer at full volume:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qDqdYY6-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qDqdYY6-Y

And it worked every time.

2) Suspiria

Outside of a couple of scenes this movie doesn't have a whole lot of jump out of your seat scares, but man will it stick with you once it's done. So much of the movie is filmed from oblique angles and with insane colour palettes that you feel as if you're in a fever dream. The score is also phenomenal. It's right up there with Halloween and Jaws IMO. The special effects (with one obvious exception) are also incredible for a movie from 1976. They're almost all practical effects so they hold up really well.

3) The Others

A surprisingly overlooked haunted house movie starring Nicole Kidman. It's got some amazing jump scares but they always feel earned. The film is moody as hell, and every time you think you've figured out what's going on, or the film seems to be slipping into conventional haunted house territory, something will happen that will have you questioning everything again.

Some others to round-out a top-10 (in no particular order):
4) The Orphanage
5) The Changeling (although there is 1 godawful scene with a "haunted" wheelchair)
6) Psycho
7) The Devil's Backbone
8) The Ring
9) The Sixth Sense
10) Rosemary's Baby

And some fun ones you may not have seen:
Dead Alive (a Peter Jackson movie from 1992 which still holds the record for the most fake blood ever used in a movie)
Evil Dead II & Army of Darkness
The Grudge (The Ring is a much better movie, but this one's got the better jump scares IMO)
An American Werewolf in London
The Howling
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (70s version is my favourite)
Dead Snow (for a movie about nazi zombies, it's surprisingly well-made)
The Thing
Re-Animator
The Descent
Drag me to Hell
House of the Devil
Insidious

Edited by mcgillnuck, 16 October 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#172 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

And I've never seen Heavenly Creatures myself, but when I was a kid I was a big fan of Jackson's work. My mother made the mistake of letting me watch "horror" movies at an early age, which really anchored my taste for a long time, but my appreciation for Jackson's early low budget movies stays in tact. I even have a soft spot for The Frighteners. I should give Heavenly Creatures a try too, even though Jackson's later work (outside of LOTR) hasn't really done a whole lot for me.

I've only seen Dead Alive of his early splatter stuff, but I hear that Meet the Feebles and Bad taste are even more offensive. I need to get around to them one of these days. I agree with you about the rest of PJs work though. I think his movie-making power must have come from his belly. He's lost his mojo.

#173 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

Ip Man. (there were two movies both were good, but I'll post stuff about the first movie here)

Since this is an Engilsh forum, I'll post a trailer with an Engilsh narrator:

And here is one of the most famous scenes from Ip Man (worth watching if you have no intention of watching the movie)

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.