The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible Scenario (Luongo wins back starting job)

jonnycanuck46

Lou has already stated publicly that he has decided that it is time to move on. If he is not traded by the start of the season, he will assume the backup role and hopefully play outstanding so that his trade value rises. I highly doubt that Luo will win the starters job again....he is done here as a #1 goalie

The six things that I hope for when he is traded are:

1/ The word 'haters' is totally banned from this board.

2/ Schneider lives up to the expectations (and I think he will)

3/ Lack is a good backup.

4/ Luo is happy being traded to a destination of choice

5/ MG trades Luongo for fair value and gets some key pieces to make the Canucks a better club....especially one that can score in the playoffs.

6/ That this matter is finally put to rest and CDC accepts that Schneider is the guy.

That fact that you say it's almost impossible for Schneider to play 60-70 games at a high level and you think he will falter only shows your blind hate for him and obvious favoritism for Luongo.

We don't even have to play Schneider for that many games anyway, even with Luongo gone. I'm sure Gillis is looking at a lot of options for veteran backup goaltenders and it won't matter if the backup doesn't win us as many games as Luongo did in the regular season anyways. Schneider is younger, cheaper, and more polished in all aspects of his game than Luongo is. Schneider is just about to hit his prime and I'd rather have a guy who can stay at the top for somewhere around 10 years while Luongo may only have 5 years left in him, who knows.

I just can't picture Luongo coming back with us after Schneider took over in the most important games and basically said he's done as a Canuck. I wish him the best and I hope he does well with a fresh new start somewhere else.

I don't know why people are getting mad at the OP when the key word is IF Luongo were to come back and a deal could not be done in the off season.

It is a very plausible scenario I mean look at what happened with Boston after Thomas was taken over by Rask, he came back and led them to the cup.

???? Denial is not accepting that Lou is as good as gone.

We all know that Lou can play lights out at times, the Canucks mgt. knows this as well. I see no way that Lou could win back the starting job as the reason he lost it is the Canucks don't have faith in his playoff performances. Even if Lou came out and played well his days here are done, we are not looking at a Thomas situation here the Canucks have too much to loose if they went back with Lou and shuned Cory as Cory would become disgruntled and want out before we got to the playoffs. It's time for you Lou lovers to move on and kill this save Lou campaign, go save a whale instead you will have better odds.

Edit: Down under you are ont to lunch. The reason Lou is going is because we can't afford another 3 or 4 playoff losses and you use it as a reason to keep Lou? Ok.

No goaltender will ever succeed in Vancouver because Vancouver fans chew them up and spits them out.

You think Schneider will be better than Luongo? The kid almost broke down in tears in his post elimination game interview. Forgive him this time, the hate on is on LU.

Next time he doesn't win a Cup, LU might not be around. The odds are, Schneider won't win a Cup next year, or the years after that. Why? Because the impatience of the Vancouver fans and the 24 hour day scrutiny from the media will?: chew him up and spit him out.

But I cannot wait for Lack to take the number one starting position from Schneider though! O' what a goalie he'll be!

I honestly still believe that if Luongo isn't traded this off-season, he will win back his starting job.

Cory Schneider is a nobody in the NHL - he has played 56 games and has never felt the weightload of a full-time starter job in the NHL. The AHL and NHL are not comparable whatsoever so don't even bother going there, this is a whole new ball game and no one has any idea how the kid will fare. The jump from backup to full-time starter is a big one, and we'll see how he handles not only the pressure but the mental and physical fatigue - something he has never had to face at this level before. Playing a few spot starts here and there, Schneider never had to worry about fatigue until the one time last season when he played 7 games in a row (after Luongo was injured) and his level of play noticeably dropped (I think he let in 3 goals on 7 shots or something against an anemic Nashville offence).

It's almost impossible for Schneider to play 60-70 games at such a high level anyway - the kid will falter and when he does eventually show signs of fatigue later in the season around February, that's when I can see Luongo stepping in, grabbing onto the reins and carrying the Canucks into the playoffs. He will be much more rested as well with a shortened season, and will not be as fatigued during the playoffs as some of the other netminders.

Just remember, only 3 goalies in the past 11 or 12 years have won a Cup after playing more than 60 games - Brodeur, Fleury and now Quick, but even Quick showed signs of fatigue in that Devils series by letting in some terrible goals. If it wasn't for the dominant defence and offence in front of him he may not have won the Cup after all. We must stick to this mentality and not rely on 1 starter, but make sure than whichever goalie we go into the playoffs with has played well under 60 games.

I honestly still believe that if Luongo isn't traded this off-season, he will win back his starting job.

Cory Schneider is a nobody in the NHL - he has played 56 games and has never felt the weightload of a full-time starter job in the NHL. The AHL and NHL are not comparable whatsoever so don't even bother going there, this is a whole new ball game and no one has any idea how the kid will fare. The jump from backup to full-time starter is a big one, and we'll see how he handles not only the pressure but the mental and physical fatigue - something he has never had to face at this level before. Playing a few spot starts here and there, Schneider never had to worry about fatigue until the one time last season when he played 7 games in a row (after Luongo was injured) and his level of play noticeably dropped (I think he let in 3 goals on 7 shots or something against an anemic Nashville offence).

It's almost impossible for Schneider to play 60-70 games at such a high level anyway - the kid will falter and when he does eventually show signs of fatigue later in the season around February, that's when I can see Luongo stepping in, grabbing onto the reins and carrying the Canucks into the playoffs. He will be much more rested as well with a shortened season, and will not be as fatigued during the playoffs as some of the other netminders.

Just remember, only 3 goalies in the past 11 or 12 years have won a Cup after playing more than 60 games - Brodeur, Fleury and now Quick, but even Quick showed signs of fatigue in that Devils series by letting in some terrible goals. If it wasn't for the dominant defence and offence in front of him he may not have won the Cup after all. We must stick to this mentality and not rely on 1 starter, but make sure than whichever goalie we go into the playoffs with has played well under 60 games.

Most would have said at the end of the 2011-2012 Canucks playoff exit that the possibility of Roberto Luongo returning to the team come the fall would not even be plausible.

However, Mike Gillis' asking price may make what was once impossible, possible.

Assuming the loot Gillis is attempting to pry out of the opposition is not agreed upon and the dollar sign is not lowered prior to training camp, Roberto Luongo may (ironically) be forced to wear the jersey he himself never envisioned wearing again.

A Luongo return would most likely mean a season split between Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo despite the fact that Schneider is anticipating a full regular season. While Schneider is being tagged as the new "starter", lets not overlook that Luongo has never been considered an "underdog" by the media, team, or Vancouver's lethal fanbase.

This mammoth pressure shift from the shoulders of Luongo to those of Cory Schneider may lead Roberto to play some of his best hockey in years. As we all know too well, when Roberto is having fun, his numbers reflect it.

The real question then becomes, does Roberto regain his elite status, or can Cory Schneider handle the full load without being overwhelmed? Time will tell. But be warned, Vancouver. Cory has never had this amount of pressure, thus his numbers may be eerily similar to those of a backup goalie when the dust has settled.

The question will be, IF LUONGO returns as a Canuck, and dominates as a backup, will the city of Vancouver (and Alain Vigneault) fall in love with him again?

Besides, what's not to love? ;)

JonnyCanuck46

It's really more the playoffs than the regular season that I'm concerned about. Everyone thinks Schneider is going to be our savior and will play better than Luongo but the truth is, he has next to no playoff experience which is what counts the most for goaltenders. I compare Schneider to other young goalies who became starters in their own cities like Rinne and Quick - both jumped into a starting job at a very young age with around 50 games of experience and played great during the regular season - BUT - they bombed out hard during the playoffs. Both these guys had terrible times in the first 3 or 4 seasons during the playoffs. It took Quick this long to get all his playoff experiences together, build from his losses and put together a solid season and playoffs.

Sadly, unlike the Kings, the Canucks don't have this luxury of waiting for Schneider to develop playoff experience from losses. We cannot afford another 3 or 4 seasons of playoff failure because by the time Schneider truly is in his prime playoff state, the rest of the core will be old and diminished. Instead, why not stick with Luongo who has been through it all, has been putting together the last 4 seasons of losses and has more experience and big-game performances than almost every goalie in the NHL.

And for those of you who think Schneider truly is a god-send and that he, for whatever reason, won't need 3 or 4 years of playoff failures before he can put it all together in the post-season, there have only been 2 goalies who have won Cups without much playoff experience - Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. All do respect to Schneider, but I highly doubt that he will be mentioned in the same sentences as the 2 greatest netminders of All-Time. Sure, it's a possibility, but I don't like the Canucks having to rest their playoff and Cup hopes and dreams on the possibility that Schneider ends up being a top-3 NHL goaltender All-Time.

As for Schneider's work load, if he's not playing 60 games that means we'll need a backup capable of playing 20 games and playing them very well. Eddie Lack is not an option so don't even mention him - this guy has had no NHL experience and honestly didn't steal the show in the AHL (I believe he had a .500 record), so would be a wild card. 20 games is a large responsibility and there's a big difference between a .500 goalie and a .750 goalie during these important games: 10 points to be exact which could mean we miss the playoffs because of our backup.

Personally, I'd rather see Schneider and Luongo split the games 50-30 or 40-40 and have them both play at high levels with either of them during the playoffs than have Schneider play 50-60 games at a slightly lower level and a 3rd tier goalie like Huet or Theodore play 20-30 games at a very low standard, then just hope to god that Schneider can perform in the playoffs as well.

Finally, don't let those last few games change your mind about who the starter in Vancouver SHOULD be. The entire team played terribly for both goaltenders, so if anything those 5 games against LA were a reflection of our team, not our goalies who both played well. Luongo did not play badly to lose his starting position, and Schneider definately didn't out-shine Luongo. Lu was never given an opportunity to play in a must-win game where he thrives and has shown time and time again that he can excel his level of play when he has to, whereas Schneider was thrown into elimination games and ended up failing.

Luongo is as good as gone tbh. Is it possibly he could somehow win back his old starting job, possibly. Is it possible that Canucks will keep both goaltenders, no.

$9M for 2 goalies in which only one can play at a time is too much. Luongo is a great goaltender and if it wasn't for his contract being as long as it is, he would be much more appreciated here. I was too young to watch Mclean, but as far as im aware and have seen since being a fan, Luongo has been by far the best goaltender we have had. His cap hit itself is very reasonable for a star goaltender that at times has single handedly won games (and playoff series) for us. Wherever he goes I wish the best for him but he is no longer going to wear a Canuck uniform, and when the day comes that he beats Canucks in the playoffs and goes on to win the cup CDC will have a breakdown and the servers will crash...

It's really more the playoffs than the regular season that I'm concerned about. Everyone thinks Schneider is going to be our savior and will play better than Luongo but the truth is, he has next to no playoff experience which is what counts the most for goaltenders. I compare Schneider to other young goalies who became starters in their own cities like Rinne and Quick - both jumped into a starting job at a very young age with around 50 games of experience and played great during the regular season - BUT - they bombed out hard during the playoffs. Both these guys had terrible times in the first 3 or 4 seasons during the playoffs. It took Quick this long to get all his playoff experiences together, build from his losses and put together a solid season and playoffs.

Sadly, unlike the Kings, the Canucks don't have this luxury of waiting for Schneider to develop playoff experience from losses. We cannot afford another 3 or 4 seasons of playoff failure because by the time Schneider truly is in his prime playoff state, the rest of the core will be old and diminished. Instead, why not stick with Luongo who has been through it all, has been putting together the last 4 seasons of losses and has more experience and big-game performances than almost every goalie in the NHL.

And for those of you who think Schneider truly is a god-send and that he, for whatever reason, won't need 3 or 4 years of playoff failures before he can put it all together in the post-season, there have only been 2 goalies who have won Cups without much playoff experience - Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. All do respect to Schneider, but I highly doubt that he will be mentioned in the same sentences as the 2 greatest netminders of All-Time. Sure, it's a possibility, but I don't like the Canucks having to rest their playoff and Cup hopes and dreams on the possibility that Schneider ends up being a top-3 NHL goaltender All-Time.

As for Schneider's work load, if he's not playing 60 games that means we'll need a backup capable of playing 20 games and playing them very well. Eddie Lack is not an option so don't even mention him - this guy has had no NHL experience and honestly didn't steal the show in the AHL (I believe he had a .500 record), so would be a wild card. 20 games is a large responsibility and there's a big difference between a .500 goalie and a .750 goalie during these important games: 10 points to be exact which could mean we miss the playoffs because of our backup.

Personally, I'd rather see Schneider and Luongo split the games 50-30 or 40-40 and have them both play at high levels with either of them during the playoffs than have Schneider play 50-60 games at a slightly lower level and a 3rd tier goalie like Huet or Theodore play 20-30 games at a very low standard, then just hope to god that Schneider can perform in the playoffs as well.

Finally, don't let those last few games change your mind about who the starter in Vancouver SHOULD be. The entire team played terribly for both goaltenders, so if anything those 5 games against LA were a reflection of our team, not our goalies who both played well. Luongo did not play badly to lose his starting position, and Schneider definately didn't out-shine Luongo. Lu was never given an opportunity to play in a must-win game where he thrives and has shown time and time again that he can excel his level of play when he has to, whereas Schneider was thrown into elimination games and ended up failing.

the glass ceiling is finally broken for cory. now we can have a true tandom in these two. if lou sticks around.

everyone knows lou starts the season out slow. therefore start cory early season.

lou may have problems in games where "all the chips are on the table" so play cory, as in the boston game last year.its alway hard to accept and sad when the old dog gets bested by the young pup. time to redefine the relationship and move on.

No goaltender will ever succeed in Vancouver because Vancouver fans chew them up and spits them out.

You think Schneider will be better than Luongo? The kid almost broke down in tears in his post elimination game interview. Forgive him this time, the hate on is on LU.

Next time he doesn't win a Cup, LU might not be around. The odds are, Schneider won't win a Cup next year, or the years after that. Why? Because the impatience of the Vancouver fans and the 24 hour day scrutiny from the media will?: chew him up and spit him out.

But I cannot wait for Lack to take the number one starting position from Schneider though! O' what a goalie he'll be!

Your edit: one team wins the Cup per year. Schneider is not the second coming of Christ and is not a sure Cup win. When that reality hits the Schneider lovers and he doesn't win a Cup, they'll turn on him like a plethora of zombies looking for brain.

Having over 9 million in cap space spent on goaltenders is too much. Even if Luongo wins back his starting job it will be short lived as he will likely be traded by the deadline. I actually support Gillis in his patience in getting a good return for Luongo. Schneider is going to be the Canucks goalie moving forward so if Luongo performs well it wont necessarily mean they will send Schneider packing, it just means we have a better shot of getting a good return for Luongo. Teams may be more desperate mid-season after goaltender problems arise within their team. If we can't get a good return for Luongo in the off season I hope he comes back and plays well so we can get something good back during the season.

Archived