The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible Scenario (Luongo wins back starting job)

jonnycanuck46

You have got to get off of Luongo's sack right now seriously.

Not only that but stop calling Cory Schneider a kid, he is a man and he is ready to be a starter for this team whether you like it or not. Also you can forget about Luongo swooping in to save the day if Cory gets tired halfway through the season, he'll be on another team.

One more thing. You mentioned one of Cory's very few bad games during the season against Nashville and questioned how he will handle mental pressure etc. How do you think he handled his 3 playoff games against LA? I think he did very well. My point being, who cares if he flops once in a while during the regular season? It's not as though your man Luongo never has a bad game during the regular season, as a matter of fact he has saved some of his very worst performances for the playoffs, how's that for handling fatigue and pressure? Cory has given us a good enough sample size of what he is capable of. Based on that I would say if Luongo can handle a full workload Schneider can do it too and probably do it as well or better. We can then go into the playoffs and not have to hold our collective breaths whenever the opposition floats a shot on goal, that is what I am looking forward to. No more Luongo and his basketcase routine when the games are the most important.

Lou has already stated publicly that he has decided that it is time to move on. If he is not traded by the start of the season, he will assume the backup role and hopefully play outstanding so that his trade value rises. I highly doubt that Luo will win the starters job again....he is done here as a #1 goalie

The six things that I hope for when he is traded are:

1/ The word 'haters' is totally banned from this board.

2/ Schneider lives up to the expectations (and I think he will)

3/ Lack is a good backup.

4/ Luo is happy being traded to a destination of choice

5/ MG trades Luongo for fair value and gets some key pieces to make the Canucks a better club....especially one that can score in the playoffs.

6/ That this matter is finally put to rest and CDC accepts that Schneider is the guy.

Lol at the e-rage. So many dolts have been calling Lu being traded ages ago, that now they are bitter Lu is still here. I can just see the frustration on their face everyday Lu is not traded. The haters could never even fathom the fact he may not be traded. Too funny.

Holy mackerel. This really gets people going, doesn't it?

For starters, it's at least 70% certain Luongo is traded before the first game of the season (whenever that turns out to be).

It is also 90% certain Lu gets traded before, say, Christmas.

But, to respond to the thread...

It's quite possible that Lu will respond very well to the relief of pressure/fewer games (IF he's still here for the season).

I hope AV plays both goalies until they lose. You win, you're in; lose and you sit. Back-to-back games would also need a switch, I suppose.

THEN we'll see some real competition, goalies will be fresh and rarin' to go...

Lol at the e-rage. So many dolts have been calling Lu being traded ages ago, that now they are bitter Lu is still here. I can just see the frustration on their face everyday Lu is not traded. The haters could never even fathom the fact he may not be traded. Too funny.

I honestly still believe that if Luongo isn't traded this off-season, he will win back his starting job.

Cory Schneider is a nobody in the NHL - he has played 56 games and has never felt the weightload of a full-time starter job in the NHL. The AHL and NHL are not comparable whatsoever so don't even bother going there, this is a whole new ball game and no one has any idea how the kid will fare. The jump from backup to full-time starter is a big one, and we'll see how he handles not only the pressure but the mental and physical fatigue - something he has never had to face at this level before. Playing a few spot starts here and there, Schneider never had to worry about fatigue until the one time last season when he played 7 games in a row (after Luongo was injured) and his level of play noticeably dropped (I think he let in 3 goals on 7 shots or something against an anemic Nashville offence).

It's almost impossible for Schneider to play 60-70 games at such a high level anyway - the kid will falter and when he does eventually show signs of fatigue later in the season around February, that's when I can see Luongo stepping in, grabbing onto the reins and carrying the Canucks into the playoffs. He will be much more rested as well with a shortened season, and will not be as fatigued during the playoffs as some of the other netminders.

Just remember, only 3 goalies in the past 11 or 12 years have won a Cup after playing more than 60 games - Brodeur, Fleury and now Quick, but even Quick showed signs of fatigue in that Devils series by letting in some terrible goals. If it wasn't for the dominant defence and offence in front of him he may not have won the Cup after all. We must stick to this mentality and not rely on 1 starter, but make sure than whichever goalie we go into the playoffs with has played well under 60 games.

Holy mackerel. This really gets people going, doesn't it?

For starters, it's at least 70% certain Luongo is traded before the first game of the season (whenever that turns out to be).

It is also 90% certain Lu gets traded before, say, Christmas.

But, to respond to the thread...

It's quite possible that Lu will respond very well to the relief of pressure/fewer games (IF he's still here for the season).

I hope AV plays both goalies until they lose. You win, you're in; lose and you sit. Back-to-back games would also need a switch, I suppose.

THEN we'll see some real competition, goalies will be fresh and rarin' to go...

Calling Schneider a nobody is a little extreme (which I find many of your posts are, let's chalk it up to passion) but the basis of your point is valid. He looks like he is ready but we just won't know. We may all rue the day AV decided to play Schneider and stuck Lou on the bench.

I liked the safety and security of Luongo as a starter and a capable backup that could start 40 if necessary. And although I have been in favour of the management to date and believe I'm a pretty patient fan, this Luongo deal needs to give us a good return and an opportunity to win right now.(next 2-3 years).

If it doesn't I think my patience will have run thin.

Personally i would love to see this happen... but i think we should be realistic... in my eyes, when luo said its time to move on, he gave up fighting for the #1 job in Vancouver.

according to what he has said, he honestly believes he is on his way out of town. If the trade doesn't happen, Lu will be in the wrong mind set. instead of thinking "its time to win my job back" he is going to be thinking "why was i not traded and given a new start?"

We all know what a mental game goaltenders in the NHL play. If he isnt in the right mind set and doesnt get traded... he wont be ready for camp.

Of course i really hope i am wrong and he is able to win his job back.

Your percentiles are speculation and mased on feeling.

But I do agree that out of anything AV and the Canucks are all about the process: win play, lose sit, would be ideal.

Get critical mass on both goaltenders by trade deadline and see what's out there for either.

Maybe even run with the same process throughout the playoffs.

Don't kid yourselves. If Luongo is still here next year he will be the backup. Theres not going to be a 50/50 split. The only reason Luongo was getting games last year was because management had decided that he was going to be the #1 guy (nomatter how badly he was being outplayed by Schneider). Now, management has finally seen the light and they've decided that Schneider is the starter. So in effect, Luongo has lost his protection from management. In order for him to play, he's actually going to have to outplay Schneider now. He hasn't been able to that at any point in the last 2 years and he won't be able to do it next year either.

The two are completely different situations. Thomas lost his job because he simply performed horribly. Our situation is one with two amazing goaltenders playing at a very high level, this year's playoff was neither Cory nor Roberto's fault it was the TEAM's fault.

What we have are two elite goaltenders playing superbly, one younger than the other and cheaper on the cap. The other has publicly stated it's time for him to move on. Moving Luongo and going with Schneider is a business decision, and if you can't wrap your head around that, just go back to watching your reality teen TV and listening to Justin Beiber. I'm sick of young fanboys waving pom poms because it's the cool thing to do.

Give your heads a shake and maybe learn a thing or two about hockey.

</rant>

It's funny, the Lu lovers accuse the media and fans of destroying Luongo and here they are trying to do the same to Cory.

You mentioned Cory almost breaking down in tears in the interview after being eliminated. Luongo did break down in tears after being eliminated by Chicago in 2009, it was his first EPIC MELTDOWN! Little did we all know that there would be so many others to follow. He didn't cry in 2010 though did he? No, he made a joke about how he didn't give up 7 this time.

Cory may not be a sure cup win as you say, but he sure has a goddamn better chance than Luongo. Does anybody know, has there ever been a goalie in NHL history get lit up for 5+ goals a game in 61 playoff games more than Luongo??

While I don't dis agree with u that Lou could win back his job,, his time here is done. I don't get all why everyone can't jus accept this and be grateful we have a better, younger goalie with less mental problems waitingto be our starter.. Lou Is the best goalie in franchise history but his time here is over, he will be traded and Cory will make u all forget about Lou ... As sad as that may seem its pretty obv that whats gunna happen.. Lou can't come back and be second fiddle, that will only cause problems.. Really jus want mg to get the trade done. I'd take one of howden or , bjugsted and theadore and move on..

Archived