The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible Scenario (Luongo wins back starting job)

jonnycanuck46

I honestly still believe that if Luongo isn't traded this off-season, he will win back his starting job.

Cory Schneider is a nobody in the NHL - he has played 56 games and has never felt the weightload of a full-time starter job in the NHL. The AHL and NHL are not comparable whatsoever so don't even bother going there, this is a whole new ball game and no one has any idea how the kid will fare. The jump from backup to full-time starter is a big one, and we'll see how he handles not only the pressure but the mental and physical fatigue - something he has never had to face at this level before. Playing a few spot starts here and there, Schneider never had to worry about fatigue until the one time last season when he played 7 games in a row (after Luongo was injured) and his level of play noticeably dropped (I think he let in 3 goals on 7 shots or something against an anemic Nashville offence).

It's almost impossible for Schneider to play 60-70 games at such a high level anyway - the kid will falter and when he does eventually show signs of fatigue later in the season around February, that's when I can see Luongo stepping in, grabbing onto the reins and carrying the Canucks into the playoffs. He will be much more rested as well with a shortened season, and will not be as fatigued during the playoffs as some of the other netminders.

Just remember, only 3 goalies in the past 11 or 12 years have won a Cup after playing more than 60 games - Brodeur, Fleury and now Quick, but even Quick showed signs of fatigue in that Devils series by letting in some terrible goals. If it wasn't for the dominant defence and offence in front of him he may not have won the Cup after all. We must stick to this mentality and not rely on 1 starter, but make sure than whichever goalie we go into the playoffs with has played well under 60 games.

...and the passengers remained in their seats, in total denial that in fact, the Titanic was sinking.

1. The word "haters" is but a word. The deed itself is the problem and you're helping the propagation by hating on LU.

2. You THINK Schneider will live up to expectation. I KNOW Luongo lives up to expectations.

3. Lack has played a total of ZERO NHL games. ZERO. He's barely a .500 goaltender in the AHL: 99GP - 49W - 41L - 7T.

4. As if you really cared...

5. Whatever Gillis gets for Luongo, he makes the team worst by trading Luongo. Unless its a player like Nash (who can score), Lecavalier (who can score), Kane (who can score), and even then, the Canucks are worst without a number one goaltender. The league is peppered with the same scenario in which said team trades said 1G and then struggles to find another 1G. But they were confident they had another 1g on their lineup...

6. Luongo 727 regular season games and 61 playoff games. Cory Schneider has played a total of 68 regular NHL games and 3 full games out of 8 where five were relief games. As far as it stands, Luongo is the guy.

Next time he doesn't win a Cup, LU might not be around. The odds are, Schneider won't win a Cup next year, or the years after that. Why? Because the impatience of the Vancouver fans and the 24 hour day scrutiny from the media will?: chew him up and spit him out.

Yea, it's not cool or unique to hate on your own fan base. I've seen fans of other teams on the NHL or HF boards say the exact same things about their teams, Bruins + Kings complaining about "bandwagoners" (gotta start somewhere) and Detroit fans despite all their success saying all their fans want unrealistic changes. With dominance comes the expectations of more dominance, Columbus sucks now and always has but i bet there's no more than a handful of people banging on the GM's doors demanding huge trades and signings.

No goalie has lived up to the Vancouver fanbase's expectation, I hope Schneider will but I seriously doubt that.

Luongo has a NMC that he will NEVER waive to go play in the minors and even if he did (which I repeat, is something he will NEVER do), he will NEVER clear waivers. Please notice the emphasis I put on the word NEVER that I typed out in all caps.

Then, Vancouver would end up swindling on both Luongo and Schneider. Schneider signed a 3 year deal for a starting job, but finds himself as a backup for another year, and Luongo gets another starting job in Vancouver, when he wants to go to another team.

Exactly. I find the Luongo haters are much fewer in numbers, but alot more vocal.

And can you really blame fans when they boo after a goalie lets in 3 goals in like 5 minutes? I don't think any fan base wouldn't boo that. And it's not like the boos are always for Luongo, part of it goes to the team too.

I really think the Luongo hate is overblown by the media who likes to focus on the negative and create controversy. The fans have been pretty supportive of him over the years. What other goalie gets their own personal cheer every time they make a save?

to be honest, I dont think theres anything Luongo's done to not give him a starting postion next year. He never played bad in the series against L.A , idont even think there was a reason to put Schnieder in, the powerplay is what wasn't working and ultimatly losing us games because we coudn't score. So if Luongo isn't traded , I think he should be in the cage on opening night, and he should play atleast 50 games, I know this is unfair to Schniedez whos waited a long time for his light, but he hasnt proven anything, or atleast nothing to what Luongos proven. So I hope to see Luongo getting atleast 50 games in a canucks jersey next year, otherwise lets hope we get some good pieces for him in return if there is a possible trade.

Whichever goalie gets a top playmaker on the 2nd line (before the all star break). The other one can play for the 'Nucks. Goaltending is not the problem...scoring goals is. I would prefer Schneids, but I am happy with Luo. It would be a waste of cap space to keep them both.

to be honest, I dont think theres anything Luongo's done to not give him a starting postion next year. He never played bad in the series against L.A , idont even think there was a reason to put Schnieder in, the powerplay is what wasn't working and ultimatly losing us games because we coudn't score. So if Luongo isn't traded , I think he should be in the cage on opening night, and he should play atleast 50 games, I know this is unfair to Schniedez whos waited a long time for his light, but he hasnt proven anything, or atleast nothing to what Luongos proven. So I hope to see Luongo getting atleast 50 games in a canucks jersey next year, otherwise lets hope we get some good pieces for him in return if there is a possible trade.

Lou wins the starting job this season, I will literally eat my hat. I will make a video and post it in this thread. In fact, if Lou isn't traded before the season starts, I will make a video of me par-cooking my hat just in case he wins the starting job.

Seriously. Denial is such a sad, sad thing.

You want to start a goalie who gives up almost 1/2 a goal more per game than the other goalie ? Lou was middle of the pack in stats while Schneider was at the. top. Wheres your logic in that. This is NOT a popularity contest !!!! Starting Lou, having him play 50 games is laughable when you have Schneider on your team. TBased on last years figures thats almost an xtra 25 goals against !!! The only thing Lou didn;t do to earn the #1 position is to play as well as Schneider. So, to be honest, you have your opinion but its not sound reasoning !!

You want to start a goalie who gives up almost 1/2 a goal more per game than the other goalie ? Lou was middle of the pack in stats while Schneider was at the. top. Wheres your logic in that. This is NOT a popularity contest !!!! Starting Lou, having him play 50 games is laughable when you have Schneider on your team. TBased on last years figures thats almost an xtra 25 goals against !!! The only thing Lou didn;t do to earn the #1 position is to play as well as Schneider. So, to be honest, you have your opinion but its not sound reasoning !!

Archived