The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible Scenario (Luongo wins back starting job)

jonnycanuck46

Most would have said at the end of the 2011-2012 Canucks playoff exit that the possibility of Roberto Luongo returning to the team come the fall would not even be plausible.

However, Mike Gillis' asking price may make what was once impossible, possible.

Assuming the loot Gillis is attempting to pry out of the opposition is not agreed upon and the dollar sign is not lowered prior to training camp, Roberto Luongo may (ironically) be forced to wear the jersey he himself never envisioned wearing again.

A Luongo return would most likely mean a season split between Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo despite the fact that Schneider is anticipating a full regular season. While Schneider is being tagged as the new "starter", lets not overlook that Luongo has never been considered an "underdog" by the media, team, or Vancouver's lethal fanbase.

This mammoth pressure shift from the shoulders of Luongo to those of Cory Schneider may lead Roberto to play some of his best hockey in years. As we all know too well, when Roberto is having fun, his numbers reflect it.

The real question then becomes, does Roberto regain his elite status, or can Cory Schneider handle the full load without being overwhelmed? Time will tell. But be warned, Vancouver. Cory has never had this amount of pressure, thus his numbers may be eerily similar to those of a backup goalie when the dust has settled.

The question will be, IF LUONGO returns as a Canuck, and dominates as a backup, will the city of Vancouver (and Alain Vigneault) fall in love with him again?

Besides, what's not to love? ;)

JonnyCanuck46

I honestly still believe that if Luongo isn't traded this off-season, he will win back his starting job.

Cory Schneider is a nobody in the NHL - he has played 56 games and has never felt the weightload of a full-time starter job in the NHL. The AHL and NHL are not comparable whatsoever so don't even bother going there, this is a whole new ball game and no one has any idea how the kid will fare. The jump from backup to full-time starter is a big one, and we'll see how he handles not only the pressure but the mental and physical fatigue - something he has never had to face at this level before. Playing a few spot starts here and there, Schneider never had to worry about fatigue until the one time last season when he played 7 games in a row (after Luongo was injured) and his level of play noticeably dropped (I think he let in 3 goals on 7 shots or something against an anemic Nashville offence).

It's almost impossible for Schneider to play 60-70 games at such a high level anyway - the kid will falter and when he does eventually show signs of fatigue later in the season around February, that's when I can see Luongo stepping in, grabbing onto the reins and carrying the Canucks into the playoffs. He will be much more rested as well with a shortened season, and will not be as fatigued during the playoffs as some of the other netminders.

Just remember, only 3 goalies in the past 11 or 12 years have won a Cup after playing more than 60 games - Brodeur, Fleury and now Quick, but even Quick showed signs of fatigue in that Devils series by letting in some terrible goals. If it wasn't for the dominant defence and offence in front of him he may not have won the Cup after all. We must stick to this mentality and not rely on 1 starter, but make sure than whichever goalie we go into the playoffs with has played well under 60 games.

Excellent post. Great point of view. I myself see this exact scenario playing out, what more could management want ? An elite veteran vs the new prodigy. I cannot wait for the wins to pile up. That is if the players and owners can remove their heads from their buts and avoid a strike ?

While I don't dis agree with u that Lou could win back his job,, his time here is done. I don't get all why everyone can't jus accept this and be grateful we have a better, younger goalie with less mental problems waitingto be our starter.. Lou Is the best goalie in franchise history but his time here is over, he will be traded and Cory will make u all forget about Lou ... As sad as that may seem its pretty obv that whats gunna happen.. Lou can't come back and be second fiddle, that will only cause problems.. Really jus want mg to get the trade done. I'd take one of howden or , bjugsted and theadore and move on..

Lou has already stated publicly that he has decided that it is time to move on. If he is not traded by the start of the season, he will assume the backup role and hopefully play outstanding so that his trade value rises. I highly doubt that Luo will win the starters job again....he is done here as a #1 goalie

The six things that I hope for when he is traded are:

1/ The word 'haters' is totally banned from this board.

2/ Schneider lives up to the expectations (and I think he will)

3/ Lack is a good backup.

4/ Luo is happy being traded to a destination of choice

5/ MG trades Luongo for fair value and gets some key pieces to make the Canucks a better club....especially one that can score in the playoffs.

6/ That this matter is finally put to rest and CDC accepts that Schneider is the guy.

I honestly still believe that if Luongo isn't traded this off-season, he will win back his starting job.

Cory Schneider is a nobody in the NHL - he has played 56 games and has never felt the weightload of a full-time starter job in the NHL. The AHL and NHL are not comparable whatsoever so don't even bother going there, this is a whole new ball game and no one has any idea how the kid will fare. The jump from backup to full-time starter is a big one, and we'll see how he handles not only the pressure but the mental and physical fatigue - something he has never had to face at this level before. Playing a few spot starts here and there, Schneider never had to worry about fatigue until the one time last season when he played 7 games in a row (after Luongo was injured) and his level of play noticeably dropped (I think he let in 3 goals on 7 shots or something against an anemic Nashville offence).

It's almost impossible for Schneider to play 60-70 games at such a high level anyway - the kid will falter and when he does eventually show signs of fatigue later in the season around February, that's when I can see Luongo stepping in, grabbing onto the reins and carrying the Canucks into the playoffs. He will be much more rested as well with a shortened season, and will not be as fatigued during the playoffs as some of the other netminders.

Just remember, only 3 goalies in the past 11 or 12 years have won a Cup after playing more than 60 games - Brodeur, Fleury and now Quick, but even Quick showed signs of fatigue in that Devils series by letting in some terrible goals. If it wasn't for the dominant defence and offence in front of him he may not have won the Cup after all. We must stick to this mentality and not rely on 1 starter, but make sure than whichever goalie we go into the playoffs with has played well under 60 games.

Most would have said at the end of the 2011-2012 Canucks playoff exit that the possibility of Roberto Luongo returning to the team come the fall would not even be plausible.

However, Mike Gillis' asking price may make what was once impossible, possible.

Assuming the loot Gillis is attempting to pry out of the opposition is not agreed upon and the dollar sign is not lowered prior to training camp, Roberto Luongo may (ironically) be forced to wear the jersey he himself never envisioned wearing again.

A Luongo return would most likely mean a season split between Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo despite the fact that Schneider is anticipating a full regular season. While Schneider is being tagged as the new "starter", lets not overlook that Luongo has never been considered an "underdog" by the media, team, or Vancouver's lethal fanbase.

This mammoth pressure shift from the shoulders of Luongo to those of Cory Schneider may lead Roberto to play some of his best hockey in years. As we all know too well, when Roberto is having fun, his numbers reflect it.

The real question then becomes, does Roberto regain his elite status, or can Cory Schneider handle the full load without being overwhelmed? Time will tell. But be warned, Vancouver. Cory has never had this amount of pressure, thus his numbers may be eerily similar to those of a backup goalie when the dust has settled.

The question will be, IF LUONGO returns as a Canuck, and dominates as a backup, will the city of Vancouver (and Alain Vigneault) fall in love with him again?

Besides, what's not to love? ;)

JonnyCanuck46

I don't know why people are getting mad at the OP when the key word is IF Luongo were to come back and a deal could not be done in the off season.

It is a very plausible scenario I mean look at what happened with Boston after Thomas was taken over by Rask, he came back and led them to the cup.

Archived