The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible Scenario (Luongo wins back starting job)

jonnycanuck46

No matter what Luongo will have to be playing his best, especially if he does want to move, he has to perform to a level that he is getting paid for, so a team will even consider wanting to still make a trade for him, especially if it's a team for a playoff run. If he plays like he doesn't care no team will want to trade for him, and he will be stuck here even if he doesn't want to still be here. Overall if he does stay here I will be expecting his best performances every chance he has in net, and that may make a lot of people reconsider.

Excellent post. Great point of view. I myself see this exact scenario playing out, what more could management want ? An elite veteran vs the new prodigy. I cannot wait for the wins to pile up. That is if the players and owners can remove their heads from their buts and avoid a strike ?

I honestly still believe that if Luongo isn't traded this off-season, he will win back his starting job.

Cory Schneider is a nobody in the NHL - he has played 56 games and has never felt the weightload of a full-time starter job in the NHL. The AHL and NHL are not comparable whatsoever so don't even bother going there, this is a whole new ball game and no one has any idea how the kid will fare. The jump from backup to full-time starter is a big one, and we'll see how he handles not only the pressure but the mental and physical fatigue - something he has never had to face at this level before. Playing a few spot starts here and there, Schneider never had to worry about fatigue until the one time last season when he played 7 games in a row (after Luongo was injured) and his level of play noticeably dropped (I think he let in 3 goals on 7 shots or something against an anemic Nashville offence).

It's almost impossible for Schneider to play 60-70 games at such a high level anyway - the kid will falter and when he does eventually show signs of fatigue later in the season around February, that's when I can see Luongo stepping in, grabbing onto the reins and carrying the Canucks into the playoffs. He will be much more rested as well with a shortened season, and will not be as fatigued during the playoffs as some of the other netminders.

Just remember, only 3 goalies in the past 11 or 12 years have won a Cup after playing more than 60 games - Brodeur, Fleury and now Quick, but even Quick showed signs of fatigue in that Devils series by letting in some terrible goals. If it wasn't for the dominant defence and offence in front of him he may not have won the Cup after all. We must stick to this mentality and not rely on 1 starter, but make sure than whichever goalie we go into the playoffs with has played well under 60 games.

I agree that Luongo is the best goaltender in Canucks franchise history, however; it makes no sense to have either $4mil or $5.3mil of the team's cap space wearing a ballcap on the bench every night. Luongo has already publicly said it's time to move on, which is not an easy statement to simply park on the side if he is there at training camp. That just would not be a healthy situation for the club at all.

I agree that Luongo is the best goaltender in Canucks franchise history, however; it makes no sense to have either $4mil or $5.3mil of the team's cap space wearing a ballcap on the bench every night. Luongo has already publicly said it's time to move on, which is not an easy statement to simply park on the side if he is there at training camp. That just would not be a healthy situation for the club at all.

Luongo is as good as gone tbh. Is it possibly he could somehow win back his old starting job, possibly. Is it possible that Canucks will keep both goaltenders, no.

$9M for 2 goalies in which only one can play at a time is too much. Luongo is a great goaltender and if it wasn't for his contract being as long as it is, he would be much more appreciated here. I was too young to watch Mclean, but as far as im aware and have seen since being a fan, Luongo has been by far the best goaltender we have had. His cap hit itself is very reasonable for a star goaltender that at times has single handedly won games (and playoff series) for us. Wherever he goes I wish the best for him but he is no longer going to wear a Canuck uniform, and when the day comes that he beats Canucks in the playoffs and goes on to win the cup CDC will have a breakdown and the servers will crash...

Schneider will be a great goalie in this league but if I compare Rask s salary whose numbers are comparable to Cory and who has played many more games than him, has also been a starter for 1 season while Thomas served as backup , he is being paid much less.

Gillis has given Cory 4 million dollars a year to a goalie who hasn t even played 80 games in this league.

He was never a no 1 for a season.

I dont remember a back up goalie ever getting this much until you are a proven no 1

By the way ..if Gillis is probably contemplating the idea of sending Lou to the Wolves if he cannot trade him.

Great frame of mind for Cory to start the season knowing he is the reason why Luongo is in the AHL and what a great message for free agents to want to come to Vancouver

Gillis just lower your asking price and trade Lou away ASAP.

Schneider will be a great goalie in this league but if I compare Rask s salary whose numbers are comparable to Cory and who has played many more games than him, has also been a starter for 1 season while Thomas served as backup , he is being paid much less.

Gillis has given Cory 4 million dollars a year to a goalie who hasn t even played 80 games in this league.

He was never a no 1 for a season.

I dont remember a back up goalie ever getting this much until you are a proven no 1

By the way ..if Gillis is probably contemplating the idea of sending Lou to the Wolves if he cannot trade him.

Great frame of mind for Cory to start the season knowing he is the reason why Luongo is in the AHL and what a great message for free agents to want to come to Vancouver

Gillis just lower your asking price and trade Lou away ASAP.

While I don't dis agree with u that Lou could win back his job,, his time here is done. I don't get all why everyone can't jus accept this and be grateful we have a better, younger goalie with less mental problems waitingto be our starter.. Lou Is the best goalie in franchise history but his time here is over, he will be traded and Cory will make u all forget about Lou ... As sad as that may seem its pretty obv that whats gunna happen.. Lou can't come back and be second fiddle, that will only cause problems.. Really jus want mg to get the trade done. I'd take one of howden or , bjugsted and theadore and move on..

Archived