Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image
I don't like you.

Atheists tend to dislike most everything.

Edited by Drybone, 16 July 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Posted Image

#122 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,197 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

The divide really isn't that far though. People, just don't realize how small Israel is. You easily set up a highway that would allow you to drive to the Gaza Strip from the West Bank in under 20 minutes. That being said, the divisions in Palestinian society between Hamas and the rest are going to be fairly hard to close.

The cultural divisions between the Palestinians may now exceed the geographic ones.

So what's the solution?

I too am for each to have their own piece of the area.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#123 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Atheists tend to dislike most everything.

Generalize much, Tom? :rolleyes:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 16 July 2012 - 04:24 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#124 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

So what's the solution?

I too am for each to have their own piece of the area.

The solution is obviously a two state solution. However, the Israelis have genuine security fears. Israeli govenrments have also pandered too much to settler movements. Not that I believe the Israelis are forced to take a 1967 border, but they've clearly put up many settlements in areas that need to go.

The ultimate solution will involve 2 states and a land swap. The success of the wall has proven that the Israelis and Palestinians get along much better when physically kept apart.

Edited by taxi, 16 July 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#125 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,197 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

The solution is obviously a two state solution. However, the Israelis have genuine security fears. Israeli govenrments have also pandered too much to settler movements. Not that I believe the Israelis are forced to take a 1967 border, but they've clearly put up many settlements in areas that need to go.

The ultimate solution will involve 2 states and a land swap. The success of the wall has proven that the Israelis and Palestinians get along much better when physically kept apart.

I agree - but what to do about Jerusalem?

Seems nobody wants to share that at all.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#126 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

This is what an Agnostic says.

This post then goes on to put people of faith down -right after the suggestion there is no way to prove it or not.

Not very 'optimistic'

This post doesn't explain anything. Instead of putting peoples beliefs down, how about instead you espouse the joys of atheism. Tell us why its so great to be an Atheist.

You are supposed to be an 'optimist' right?

looking at people like you and thinking thank the frack i am not gullible as he is .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#127 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

I agree with this solution.

+1
Posted Image

#128 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Generalize much, Tom? :rolleyes:

Fair point...he should have just blamed everything on religion.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#129 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Fair point...he should have just blamed everything on religion.

If the burka/yarmulke fits...

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#130 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

If the burka/yarmulke fits...

What are you doing wearing a burqa?

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 16 July 2012 - 06:21 PM.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#131 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

What are you doing wearing a burqa?

Taking up bee-keeping.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#132 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Taking up bee-keeping.

While cross-dressing?

#133 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

While cross-dressing?

I have faith that i'll be rewarded with 72 jars of virgin honey.

#134 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have faith that i'll be rewarded with 72 jars of virgin honey.

To each their own I suppose. But I am impressed with your level of faith and sense of modesty.

#135 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

To each their own I suppose. But I am impressed with your level of faith and sense of modesty.

Mine is not to question why, but to bee-keep and die.

#136 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Mine is not to question why, but to bee-keep and die.

Excellent. Since I have no purpose, I will resume blaming everything on bee-keeping.

#137 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Excellent. Since I have no purpose, I will resume blaming everything on bee-keeping.

And I have absolutely no problem with you doing that....my misguided faith in some guy who's never tasted honey himself all the while promising me quality honey, makes me forgo all reason and logic.

#138 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

And I have absolutely no problem with you doing that....my misguided faith in some guy who's never tasted honey himself all the while promising me quality honey, makes me forgo all reason and logic.

I agree that foregoing logic and reason is an issue. That is why I choose to misguidedly believe that an intricately complex system within which we are less than a dot just happened to make itself out of nothing (much like the cars we drive and buildings we live in also made themselves and came to be out of nothing) and honey just happened to fall from the sky out of nowhere.

In fact, I have an explanation for everything and it often involves nothing.

#139 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

I agree that foregoing logic and reason is an issue. That is why I choose to misguidedly believe that an intricately complex system within which we are less than a dot just happened to make itself out of nothing (much like the cars we drive and buildings we live in also made themselves and came to be out of nothing) and honey just happened to fall from the sky out of nowhere.

In fact, I have an explanation for everything and it often involves nothing.

It's too bad that you put stock in empiricism and the scientific process to inform your reality. I prefer being told what to believe, and I believe the fairy-tales i'm told.

#140 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

It's too bad that you put stock in empiricism and the scientific process to inform your reality. I prefer being told what to believe, and I believe the fairy-tales i'm told.

I concur. But I suppose to be fair myself, I would have to concede that a significant amount of knowledge we know of today came from or was improved upon by empiricists and scientists who believed similarly to that which you claim.

#141 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,197 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Wow - this thread isn't derailed - it's been blown up - how hypocritical to say the least.

Can we get back to topic or at least something relevant?

So, say we at CDC have absolute authority - what do we do about Jerusalem?

As far as Israel and Palestine that is.

Posted Image

#142 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

Wow - this thread isn't derailed - it's been blown up - how hypocritical to say the least.

Israeli, Palestinian kids find peace through soccer

Hapoel Tel Aviv Educational Enterprise brings Israeli and Palestinian children together to play soccer, get to know each other and learn tolerance and respect towards one another
Josh Lichtenstein
Published: 04.02.09, 08:18 / Israel Culture

On Tuesday, Hapoel Tel Aviv Educational Enterprise brought together Palestinian and Israeli children to play a soccer tournament at the club's training complex in Holon. The tournament brought together children ages 7-14 in the hope of developing mutual understanding.

Most Israeli and Palestinian children never interact with one another. Organizers believe that by giving them a chance to play together, they will be less likely to develop stereotypes as adults. Through the game of soccer, young children are able to learn values of tolerance and respect for one another.

The event was attended by several players from Hapoel Tel Aviv, including the team's captain Walid Badir, Maaran Lala, Bibras Natkho, Omri Canada and Eden Ben Basat. It was a great thrill for the kids to spend an afternoon with professional athletes they admire. Following the tournament, the kids were taken on a cruise.

Posted Image
The kids with Hapoel Tel Aviv captain Walid Badir (Photo: Tahel Azulai)

One of the Palestinian children commented, “I hope I will meet Israeli kids and play with them, until now I thought everybody was the same, but after we started this activity I understand there are some Jewish kids that are different".

Walid Badir adde, "It's a great experience to see Arabs and Israelis playing together...it's a holy day for the children and the Israeli country. I hope in the future there will be real peace and we'll live together."

The Hapoel Tel Aviv Educational Enterprise is a non-profit organization that was founded 12 years ago. Since that time, over 25,000 Israeli and Palestinian children have been brought together to play soccer.

In recent years, soccer clubs have been founded in eight villages within the Palestinian territory. Over 400 kids have taken part in the soccer and educational activities conducted in these villages. All programs offered by Hapoel Tel Aviv Educational Enterprise, are free of charge. This gives all kids the opportunity to play soccer and get to know their neighbors.

Hopefully, graduates of this program will become the future leaders of a lasting Israeli-Palestinian peace.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#143 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

http://www.rt.com/ne...nts-ban-un-614/

Israel slams door on UN Human Rights Council over settlement row

Israeli officials say a UN fact-finding mission “will not be allowed to enter” the country and its occupied territories. On Friday, the Geneva-based Human Rights Council appointed three officers to probe Israel’s West Bank settlement activity.

The UN's top human rights body has commissioned three jurists to find out how Israel's West Bank settlements affect “the civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of the Palestinian people.” The body called on Tel Aviv “not to obstruct the process of cooperation.

This resonated harshly with Israel, who took no time to dub the mission “biased and flawed,” vowing not to support the officials.

"The fact-finding mission will find no cooperation in Israel, and its members will not be allowed to enter Israel and the territories,” said Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor. “Its existence embodies the inherent distortion that typifies the UN Human Rights Council's treatment of Israel and the hijacking of the important human rights agenda by non-democratic countries.

Israel cut all ties with the council in March after the 47-nation body passed a resolution establishing the settlement probe. Israel accuses the commission of a “disproportionate focus” on Israel.

"The establishment of this mission is another blatant expression of the singling out of Israel in the UNHRC," a Foreign Ministry statement said on Friday.

Now that the team is to be prohibited from Israel, it will have to gain evidence from second-hand sources, like local media.

But even if the mission finds that the settlements violate human rights, any attempts to punish Israel will most probably be defused by the US, Israel’s key ally.

The UN considers Israeli settlements illegal under international law. The Human Rights Council says Israel's plans to build more houses in the West Bank and East Jerusalem undermine the peace process and pose a threat to the two-state solution.

The West Bank settlements are at the core of dispute between Israelis and Palestinians. Some 500,000 Israelis and 2.5 million Palestinians live in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, a territory that Israel expropriated from Jordan in 1967. Palestinians claim the West Bank is part of their future state, and object to any settlements there.

Israel cites historical and biblical links to the West Bank, saying the status of the settlements should be decided in peace negotiations.

Edited by dank., 17 July 2012 - 04:09 AM.

Posted Image

#144 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

lol Good point. Bee Keeping is the bain of existence. Has been since Sherlock was among us.

Pointing the finger at others is a great way to avoid looking in the mirror . I believe excessive finger pointing to be a form of depression and low self esteem.

In extreme cases it may even be 'Narcissistic Personality Disorder' . My wife is an RN . She sees cases of it in her line of work and even on blogs such as these.

Here is a brief explanation .

http://www.4degreez....isorder_test.mv
Posted Image

#145 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hey !!!

I dunno dude. We here at CDC are just ordinary people with a personal point of view. We are laymen who cannot possible have all the information . All we have is what we can research online here which can only bring limited exposure regardless of how many hours we go at it.

I enjoy stating my point of view but at some point we have to realize these issues are way way way beyond our paygrade. We have no power to effect any of it , either now nor in the future so arguing back and forth repeatedly resolves nothing.

I prefer to discuss topics locally in my community that I actually have a realistic say in. This way my research and effort ends up producing something tangible.
Posted Image

#146 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

Religion People always find a way to cause more problems than good.

fixed

#147 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

fixed

Standing ovation :towel:
Posted Image

#148 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,197 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Israeli, Palestinian kids find peace through soccer

Hapoel Tel Aviv Educational Enterprise brings Israeli and Palestinian children together to play soccer, get to know each other and learn tolerance and respect towards one another
Josh Lichtenstein
Published: 04.02.09, 08:18 / Israel Culture

On Tuesday, Hapoel Tel Aviv Educational Enterprise brought together Palestinian and Israeli children to play a soccer tournament at the club's training complex in Holon. The tournament brought together children ages 7-14 in the hope of developing mutual understanding.

Most Israeli and Palestinian children never interact with one another. Organizers believe that by giving them a chance to play together, they will be less likely to develop stereotypes as adults. Through the game of soccer, young children are able to learn values of tolerance and respect for one another.

The event was attended by several players from Hapoel Tel Aviv, including the team's captain Walid Badir, Maaran Lala, Bibras Natkho, Omri Canada and Eden Ben Basat. It was a great thrill for the kids to spend an afternoon with professional athletes they admire. Following the tournament, the kids were taken on a cruise.

Posted Image
The kids with Hapoel Tel Aviv captain Walid Badir (Photo: Tahel Azulai)

One of the Palestinian children commented, “I hope I will meet Israeli kids and play with them, until now I thought everybody was the same, but after we started this activity I understand there are some Jewish kids that are different".

Walid Badir adde, "It's a great experience to see Arabs and Israelis playing together...it's a holy day for the children and the Israeli country. I hope in the future there will be real peace and we'll live together."

The Hapoel Tel Aviv Educational Enterprise is a non-profit organization that was founded 12 years ago. Since that time, over 25,000 Israeli and Palestinian children have been brought together to play soccer.

In recent years, soccer clubs have been founded in eight villages within the Palestinian territory. Over 400 kids have taken part in the soccer and educational activities conducted in these villages. All programs offered by Hapoel Tel Aviv Educational Enterprise, are free of charge. This gives all kids the opportunity to play soccer and get to know their neighbors.

Hopefully, graduates of this program will become the future leaders of a lasting Israeli-Palestinian peace.

Wow - that's awesome! Thanks for posting it - gives us hope for humanity yet!

Posted Image

#149 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Wow - that's awesome! Thanks for posting it - gives us hope for humanity yet!

I think its amazing how kids see right through BS. Racism and Hatred have to be taught.

I know the church has been guilty of bashing people that do not fit into their doctrine , just as all groups do.

I wish we could raise a generation of kids to NOT buy into the rhetoric they are exposed to as young adults. What a gift that would be to all of us !
Posted Image

#150 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

This is what an Agnostic says.

This post then goes on to put people of faith down -right after the suggestion there is no way to prove it or not.

Not very 'optimistic'

This post doesn't explain anything. Instead of putting peoples beliefs down, how about instead you espouse the joys of atheism. Tell us why its so great to be an Atheist.

You are supposed to be an 'optimist' right?

Agnosticism certainly can be a rejection of tangible man-made religions, as they don't provide any non-fictional answers to the "creator" question. Hell, outside of man-made religions I've found no tangible way to possibly test to affirm or deny a creator. It's well within the realm of agnosticism to vehemently reject/oppose/castigate/trash religion. What's not in the realm is making any sort of absolute conclusion of confirmation or denial of the overall concept of a creator/creators that religion or atheism address. Simple as that.

Edited by zaibatsu, 17 July 2012 - 09:45 AM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.