213 replies to this topic

#181 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,700 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing the irony of the Cornelius quote and it's premise? :huh:

Yes - and that the quote came out less than a year after the 6 day war....

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#182 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

I have a dream ,

"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#183 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

Glad someone got that one. ::D

B)

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#184 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,700 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

I have a dream ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RwUGSYDKUxU

Dreamer....you're nothing but a dreamer....

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#185 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Is it not the positive dreamers of the world that have helped change the world for the better?

I have a dream........

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 17 July 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#186 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Is it not the positive dreamers of the world that have helped change the world for the better?

Indeed they are mein frauline.

As it relates to your video.

A. Philip Randolph
Posted Image

A tremendously important historical figure, Randolph is also one of the most overlooked personalities in modern American history. The key organizer of the March on Washington and an influential leader in the civil rights and labor movements (Martin Luther King, Jr. called him "the Dean" and "the Chief"), Randolph was the American Humanist Association (AHA) Humanist of the Year in 1970.

"Our aim is to appeal to reason" he said. "We consider prayer nothing more than a fervent wish."

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#187 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

people are the problem, not the ideas themselves.

In the middle east religion is always the problem, I mean come on... weve been hearing the mantras about destroying Israel/pushing them back into the sea etc. for decades.

Religion is the MAIN PROBLEM in this region of the world just accept it...

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 17 July 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#188 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia

#189 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,700 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

That's My King Dr. S.M. Lockridge:

Posted Image

#190 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

That's My King Dr. S.M. Lockridge:

Spoiler

So we're posting that positive dreamers can accomplish positive change in the world and giving examples of those dreamers and we're subjected to 3 minutes and 20 seconds of repetitive religious claptrap. *slow clap*

At least some of us were staying on topic with the off-topic tangent. :picard:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 17 July 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#191 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

So we're posting about what positive dreamers can accomplish in the world, what positve dreamers have in fact accomplished in the world, and we're subjected to 3 minutes and 20 seconds of religious claptrap. *slow clap*

That was just awful. I could only stomach it till around the 1:30 mark.

I think he thought Jesus felt left out, without being 'represented'. Find Hey-Zeus to be a bit of an attention whore in that way. Poseidan has the Kraken, Odin his beard, Thor his hammer...and I guess his super-power is being an attention seeking drama queen.

Oh well, to each imaginary character, their own, I suppose.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#192 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Oh well, to each imaginary character, their own, I suppose.

I AM XENU..LORD OF THE SCIENTOLOGISTS.. KNEEL BEFORE ME SLAVE!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#193 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Posted Image

#194 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,700 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

So we're posting that positive dreamers can accomplish positive change in the world and giving examples of those dreamers and we're subjected to 3 minutes and 20 seconds of repetitive religious claptrap. *slow clap*

At least some of us were staying on topic with the off-topic tangent. :picard:

Really - who was staying on topic? If you're going to chastize people for going off topic - make sure you are at least fair and apply that to everyone who goes off topic.

As far as what is "positive" that's depends on the viewpoint - as they say - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Posted Image

#195 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Really - who was staying on topic? If you're going to chastize people for going off topic - make sure you are at least fair and apply that to everyone who goes off topic.

As far as what is "positive" that's depends on the viewpoint - as they say - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You might want to read what I wrote again, Heretic. In the context it was written.

And really, you're saying Martin Luther King and A. Philip Randolph have only effected positive change in the world according to my viewpoint? Sorry, the 'viewpoints' of millions of people in regard to this particular issue would state otherwise. :picard:

You know, Heretic, over the years we've both been on this board, and through the saga of the God thread, I've never gone after your religion or your freedom to believe what you wish. I have made my sentiments clear on how I feel about fundamentalist Christian churches and the Catholic church, but never made it personal. In fact, I have vigorously defended you at times despite my not always agreeing with you, sometimes at the expense of my friendship with other people on this board. Sometimes it's very difficult to support you when you come into a granted 'off-topic' tangent (and I never said it wasn't one) and cannot resist throwing in some religious video that wasn't even on topic to the off topic tangent and most certainly not on topic with the original topic. It's disappointing, to say the least.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 18 July 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#196 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Being positive means exactly that. Means we do not need put others down to exist in our daily lives. It means we are optimistic about the future, and accept people as they are.

Being positive is also not free. It requires maintenance. First and foremost it requires us to remain focused and positive. We respect other peoples boundaries.

But we cannot control others. Egro we must put up healthy boundaries. This includes defending your position when others simply attack it.

If an Atheist would come here and make a POSITIVE case for being the said Atheist, I would tip my hat and say fine. Its ok with me There is no break of a boundary.

However, they NEED to attack people of faith. Why? Again, with healthy boundaries, you have no need to attack others way of life.

It becomes persecution. its not right, its not healthy and it usually means other issues are in play.

Here is an article I dug up on healthy self esteem and setting boundaries. .

http://www.selfgrowt...importance.html

i have never met a true Atheist who was happy, healthy, but then claim there is no God and all those who believe are idiots .

Its like saying..........I am happy but whoever doesn't agree with me can go @$%#$% themselves :huh: .

The only thing we can do is call them out speciifcally on the fact they are crossing boundaries . The point that they are atheists doesnt matter as long as they respect others.

But my experience with them for 30 years says if you take away their whining about God in various arenas , there is nothing else for them to talk about.
Posted Image

#197 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

POPULAR

Spoiler

Being positive is also not free. It requires maintenance. First and foremost it requires us to remain focused and positive. We respect other peoples boundaries.

Oh man.... :lol:

Like you calling me a "drug-infested tool", "drunk"and "drug addicted", you mean? Because I disagreed with you? Called you by one of your previous (banned) accounts names? How unutterably 'Christian' of you. You need to work on respecting other people's boundaries, Tom (or Scott, or PH or Mariner or whatever name you're using today) ...isn't there some kind of workshop on that down at your local church hall?

Respect is a two way street.......remember?

Oh, and my self esteem is just fine, thanks. :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 18 July 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#198 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,700 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

You might want to read what I wrote again, Heretic. In the context it was written.

And really, you're saying Martin Luther King and A. Philip Randolph have only effected positive change in the world according to my viewpoint? Sorry, the 'viewpoints' of millions of people in regard to this particular issue would state otherwise. :picard:

You know, Heretic, over the years we've both been on this board, and through the saga of the God thread, I've never gone after your religion or your freedom to believe what you wish. I have made my sentiments clear on how I feel about fundamentalist Christian churches and the Catholic church, but never made it personal. In fact, I have vigorously defended you at times despite my not always agreeing with you, sometimes at the expense of my friendship with other people on this board. Sometimes it's very difficult to support you when you come into a granted 'off-topic' tangent (and I never said it wasn't one) and cannot resist throwing in some religious video that wasn't even on topic to the off topic tangent and most certainly not on topic with the original topic. It's disappointing, to say the least.

Sigh...heavy communication problem...

Please tell me what post 188, 191, 192, 193 have to do with this thread? (and those are on this page only).

As far as viewpoint - no - that's not what I meant.
I meant that what is "repetitive religious claptrap" to you is a positive message to me.

Tell me, what the difference between what Racinator posted in post 188 and mine?

BTW - I was told this topic, the conflict in Israel/Palenstine is a "religious" one so yes, my "religious" video is more appropiate to this thread then someone talikg about "imaginary characters".

Sorry you feel disappointed - feel free to pm me about it so we don't continue derailing this thread - and don't worry - I treat all PM's as they are- Private, and I never discuss what someone said to me in a PM publicly unless I'm told it's okay to do so.....

Posted Image

#199 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

I'd just like to add, people always say theism has killed many in the past with wars ect...

this is true and I agree, however we must remember that atheism has also slaughtered.....

the communist regimes were atheist... Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Mussolini, combined killed hundreds of millions.

Now that being said Im not equating a modern day theist or atheist with the crimes of the past, not at all thats wrong to do so.

=============================================

For the record Im neither Theist or Atheist.... I don't know what category I fall into it, all I know is Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Jainism and any other ism I missed, all have a certain amount of great knowledge embedded in them, now you don't have to become baptized to take some of these teachings and apply them to your modern life.

example, I view the 10 commandments of Christianity favourably and see them as helping keep morality, I view the principles of Sikhism in good light about how we are all equal, Hinduism and the Bhagavad Gita, Buddhism and its philosophy ect ect ect..

and the same time, Atheism provokes some of the deepest thought in me..

All Im trying to get at is... it doesn't have to be a choice of "I'm a _____ and everything else is wrong"...... you can explore and take teachings from various sources and morph them into your own philosophy on life.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#200 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Seven pages for those evil Zionist. And they haven't even bombed a tourist bus yet. Can someone call my local Rabbi they need to speed things up. Someone else beat them to the punch; http://forum.canucks...ed-in-bulgaria/

Edited by Special Ed, 18 July 2012 - 11:18 AM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#201 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'd just like to add, people always say theism has killed many in the past with wars ect...

this is true and I agree, however we must remember that atheism has also slaughtered.....

the communist regimes were atheist... Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Mussolini, combined killed hundreds of millions.

Now that being said Im not equating a modern day theist or atheist with the crimes of the past, not at all thats wrong to do so.

=============================================

For the record Im neither Theist or Atheist.... I don't know what category I fall into it, all I know is Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Jainism and any other ism I missed, all have a certain amount of great knowledge embedded in them, now you don't have to become baptized to take some of these teachings and apply them to your modern life.

example, I view the 10 commandments of Christianity favourably and see them as helping keep morality, I view the principles of Sikhism in good light about how we are all equal, Hinduism and the Bhagavad Gita, Buddhism and its philosophy ect ect ect..

and the same time, Atheism provokes some of the deepest thought in me..

All Im trying to get at is... it doesn't have to be a choice of "I'm a _____ and everything else is wrong"...... you can explore and take teachings from various sources and morph them into your own philosophy on life.

Not one of those people you mentioned ever slaughtered anyone in the name of Atheism.

What you just said there is a complete myth and a miscomprehension of what Atheism is.

Atheism is not a belief based on a set of doctrines, dogma or ideologies that religion is. Atheism does not espouse any commandments or tenets or sources for motivation. It's simply the non-belief in the fabrication of deities and the supernaturality purported by theologies.

Atheism or unbelief, is not a principle or prime motivator.

Saying that Atheist killed because of atheism, is like saying tall people killed because of tallness.

It doesn't work that way.

Your attempt to assign homicidal culpability and responsibility to and in the name of atheism as with religion, is erroneous.

#202 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

The commy regimes were atheist, wether they killed in the name of atheism Is debatable and I see what your point is..

give me your opinion on the other part of what I said

Edited by key2thecup, 18 July 2012 - 11:27 AM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#203 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

The commy regimes were atheist, wether they killed in the name of atheism Is debatable and I see what your point is..

give me your opinion on the other part of what I said

It's not debatable. Those regimes killed for the same reasons any totalitarian regime kills.....to consolidate power, to project power, to further its own political, militaristic, or cultural ideology, Communists killed in order to promote, expand and nationalize communism......they just happened to be atheists. Communists opposed religion because they didn't want any competitors for the hearts and minds of the people.

Again....saying the Communists regimes were atheists and thus killed in the name of atheism, is like saying the Communist regimes were air-breathers, and therefore killed in the name of breathing air.

They killed for Communism. Plain and simple.

As for the rest, I agree that many religions contain good teachings and stories about moral lessons and such, but they aren't exclusive to any one religion, nor are those moral universalities exclusive to religion. There is no moral act or thought that a religious person can have or do, that an atheist or secular person cannot think or do. There may be great or profound wisdom contained in many religious sects, but I challenge you to show me any 'great knowledge' of the natural world that came out of any of those religions that wasn't known beforehand or through secular enterprise and means outside of a divine source imparting that knowledge to us.

However, I agree, there is nothing bad or wrong about learning from the moral stories and tales and discussion evoked from many religious sources. I have nothing against the lessons that can be learned from the Sermon on the Mount, or in the story of Ram and Sita, or in the writings of the 10 Sikh Gurus, or sense of fairness and wisdom of King Soloman, or the pursuit of peace, empathy, and appreciation of life in all forms the came from Buddha.....and on and on. All great reads. However, none of that, makes any of their claims of a supernatural creator or arbiter or presence, true or real. No great moral sermon or teaching will ever be good enough to prove that Jesus died and came back to life, let alone that he was born from a virgin, let alone that he was a god. It was just a good sermon....a reflection, that he, if he was really real which I doubt as well, made for a good listen, and sober reflection of our moral compass.

None of it though, is worth killing over, starting wars over, keeping access to birth control from people over, committing atrocities over, or subjugating and enslaving the minds of almost an entire people over.

#204 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

It's not debatable. Those regimes killed for the same reasons any totalitarian regime kills.....to consolidate power, to project power, to further its own political, militaristic, or cultural ideology, Communists killed in order to promote, expand and nationalize communism......they just happened to be atheists. Communists opposed religion because they didn't want any competitors for the hearts and minds of the people.

Again....saying the Communists regimes were atheists and thus killed in the name of atheism, is like saying the Communist regimes were air-breathers, and therefore killed in the name of breathing air.

They killed for Communism. Plain and simple.

As for the rest, I agree that many religions contain good teachings and stories about moral lessons and such, but they aren't exclusive to any one religion, nor are those moral universalities exclusive to religion. There is no moral act or thought that a religious person can have or do, that an atheist or secular person cannot think or do. There may be great or profound wisdom contained in many religious sects, but I challenge you to show me any 'great knowledge' of the natural world that came out of any of those religions that wasn't known beforehand or through secular enterprise and means outside of a divine source imparting that knowledge to us.

However, I agree, there is nothing bad or wrong about learning from the moral stories and tales and discussion evoked from many religious sources. I have nothing against the lessons that can be learned from the Sermon on the Mount, or in the story of Ram and Sita, or in the writings of the 10 Sikh Gurus, or sense of fairness and wisdom of King Soloman, or the pursuit of peace, empathy, and appreciation of life in all forms the came from Buddha.....and on and on. All great reads. However, none of that, makes any of their claims of a supernatural creator or arbiter or presence, true or real. No great moral sermon or teaching will ever be good enough to prove that Jesus died and came back to life, let alone that he was born from a virgin, let alone that he was a god. It was just a good sermon....a reflection, that he, if he was really real which I doubt as well, made for a good listen, and sober reflection of our moral compass.

None of it though, is worth killing over, starting wars over, keeping access to birth control from people over, committing atrocities over, or subjugating and enslaving the minds of almost an entire people over.

I agree with you bud, I see your point of Communism-Athiesm , I agree with your take on religious philosophy.

Have a good one!

Edited by key2thecup, 18 July 2012 - 12:10 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#205 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

They were megalomaniacs in their own right. These types tend to think they are god.

#206 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Israel won't stop until eretz yisrael as they call it is reality. All the pieces are in place and their plan is working, why would they stop? Mutiny or coup would be crazy and pointless, the government is following their agenda.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#207 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Being positive means exactly that. Means we do not need put others down to exist in our daily lives. It means we are optimistic about the future, and accept people as they are.

But we cannot control others. Egro we must put up healthy boundaries. This includes defending your position when others simply attack it.

If an Atheist would come here and make a POSITIVE case for being the said Atheist, I would tip my hat and say fine. Its ok with me There is no break of a boundary.

However, they NEED to attack people of faith. Why? Again, with healthy boundaries, you have no need to attack others way of life.

It becomes persecution. its not right, its not healthy and it usually means other issues are in play.

Here is an article I dug up on healthy self esteem and setting boundaries. .

http://www.selfgrowt...importance.html

i have never met a true Atheist who was happy, healthy, but then claim there is no God and all those who believe are idiots .

Its like saying..........I am happy but whoever doesn't agree with me can go @$%#$% themselves :huh: .

The only thing we can do is call them out speciifcally on the fact they are crossing boundaries . The point that they are atheists doesnt matter as long as they respect others.

But my experience with them for 30 years says if you take away their whining about God in various arenas , there is nothing else for them to talk about.

dude you are gold , i wake up in the morning read your posts and laugh my freakin arse off .thank you for providing the comedic relief in a very serious subject .
Noam Chomsky

#208 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Israel won't stop until eretz yisrael as they call it is reality. All the pieces are in place and their plan is working, why would they stop? Mutiny or coup would be crazy and pointless, the government is following their agenda.

Israel has already withdrawn from the Sinai dessert and the Gaza Strip in the name of peace. Both territories would be included in "Eretz Israel".

#209 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

lol Good point. Bee Keeping is the bain of existence. Has been since Sherlock was among us.

Pointing the finger at others is a great way to avoid looking in the mirror . I believe excessive finger pointing to be a form of depression and low self esteem.

In extreme cases it may even be 'Narcissistic Personality Disorder' . My wife is an RN . She sees cases of it in her line of work and even on blogs such as these.

Here is a brief explanation .

http://www.4degreez....isorder_test.mv

Can you send me some of those cookies you've been eating?
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#210 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Israel has already withdrawn from the Sinai dessert and the Gaza Strip in the name of peace. Both territories would be included in "Eretz Israel".

Israel withdrew from Sinai due to immense international pressure, especially from US and the USSR. Furthermore, Israel did not originally undergo that campaign alone and were aided by both the British and the French (which both could very much do without being associated as having helped Israel secure Sinai).

When Israel invaded Sinai again in the late 60's and 70's, Egypt offered peace, recognition of Israel and the permission of Israeli ships through Suez and Israel refused to accept this. It was only after Egypt launched a major military campaign against Israel in Sinai in 1973 that Israel eventually conceded to a withdrawal and agreement.

This also ties into the Golan Heights. There is a reason why the Assad family has been left in power for decades in Syria and it is directly related to Golan Heights, for which the Assad family was very handsomely rewarded both politically and financially.

As for Gaza (which the 'disengagement plan' was a Sharon devised policy), perhaps we might take heed to the words of top Sharon aide Dov Weisglass on the matter where he stated that the policy would prevent the possibility of a Palestinian state for years to come. Israel also maintains control over Gaza's airspace, borders, power, infrastructure and import/export...but in the 'name of peace' of course.
"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.