The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Lockout Looming - Effects on trades

As the possibility for another lockout looms over the heads of players, management, and owners, it begs the question of whether uncertainty of a season next year, is effecting team's preparedness to execute certain trades. Obviously, I am referring most to a trade involving Luongo. I know there are other threads out there discussing things close to this topic, but If there Is a lockout, is MG under pressure to trade Lu prior to its announcement? If the NHL does lockout, does Lu's trade value decrease as he loses another year to play? It would seem that way. I feel that the possible lockout is playing in the minds of GM's and if Luongo was traded and the season then locked out, It would be a mistake for the team that traded for him. Especially when considering the upcoming UFA goaltenders in 2013 such as Lehtonen, Backstrom, Smith, Howard, Nabokov, Emery, and 2014, Hiller, Halak, Crawford, Elliot, Miller, Lundqvist.

2013 UFA Goalies

2014 UFA Goalies

MG should just try to get a few high draft picks, prospects, or support players from the lui deal. If the asking prices remains too high teams will just lose interest because of his contract and the potential for a lockout, which as you said decreases his value.

I cant wait for this deal to get done!

I remember hearing Fehr was wiling to propose that the players continue to play under the current CBA if they havent met an agreement by start of season. I don't think the NHL can risk another lockout. A lot of casual fans were lost during the last lockout.

I remember hearing Fehr was wiling to propose that the players continue to play under the current CBA if they havent met an agreement by start of season. I don't think the NHL can risk another lockout. A lot of casual fans were lost during the last lockout.

I dont think a lockout is looming. The owners and NHLPA have been down this road before and will move through it very quickly this time.

Dont forget last time the bone of contention was a never heard of before hard salary cap. I doubt there is any issue that can cause them to go through that again.

I dont think a lockout is looming. The owners and NHLPA have been down this road before and will move through it very quickly this time.

Dont forget last time the bone of contention was a never heard of before hard salary cap. I doubt there is any issue that can cause them to go through that again.

Hope you're right, I can't see a lockout benefiting the Canucks (or many other teams) in anyway. If a situation arose similar to the NBA where the NHL would have a shortened season, I can't wait to hear the kind of garbage that gets said If the Canucks were to win there first cup during next year.

Archived