The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Walters

deized_kanuck604

Hey all.. I work for a film production company in the okanagan and we just finished filming a movie for the hockey hall of fame in penticton at the memorial arena. 1992 Budweiser man of the year and Stanley cup winner Ryan Walters was the hockey coordinator for the flick. I just wanted to say it was such a pleasure working with this guy. I met his family and to see him work with these kids in the film I must say was quite an extraordinary experience. Anyways , would love to have him back in the coaching system in Vancouver! I also met Phil Pritchard..the guy who guards the cup! Epic to meet both and lords Stanley cup! Go Canucks go

I work at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre, where the Abbotsford Heat play, so I get to see him often. He's a great guy to talk to, its neat to see a champion that down to earth.

P.S. It's Ryan WALTER, not WalterS.

This IS a good story at this time of year! Cool! Got a pic of my son with Brad Bombardier back home, in 2000, with the Cup. He won it with the Devils. Nothing wrong this time of year to tell stories, especially if the season is going to take its time getting here

Yeah I met Ryan Walter once too. I somehow managed to sneak into the Saddledome while he Hawks were in Calgary. I managed to wonder down below where all the dressing rooms were and the Hawks just happened to be practicing and having a media session. Noobdy noticed me but Ryan, hes like...umm your not supposed to be down here are you? I said...with an evil smile, nope! He laughed. I shook his hand, hes got huge hands....I also met Theo Fluery that night too, when he played for the Blackhawks. Fluery, regardless of his behaviour in the last few years of his career. He was my idol (along with Ronning and Bure) and to get to meet him, shake his hand like we were best friends...was a thriller. I was 21 at the time. Oh yeah Ryan was really cool :D he never told on me haha.

Hey all.. I work for a film production company in the okanagan and we just finished filming a movie for the hockey hall of fame in penticton at the memorial arena. 1992 Budweiser man of the year and Stanley cup winner Ryan Walters was the hockey coordinator for the flick. I just wanted to say it was such a pleasure working with this guy. I met his family and to see him work with these kids in the film I must say was quite an extraordinary experience. Anyways , would love to have him back in the coaching system in Vancouver! I also met Phil Pritchard..the guy who guards the cup! Epic to meet both and lords Stanley cup! Go Canucks go

Yeah the cup always end up in the Okanagan every year. :D They also just had a golf tourney (NHLers) Andy Moog has a charity golf tourney and invites all of his hockey friends. Its a great tourney!

It was the year that I learned the butterfly and I believe it was Steve Penney that was the goalie's on ice instructor that year (I went 4 or 5 times so can't remember)..

Ryan Walter was an instructor that year. He was teaching face offs. For about two hours a day the centres did nothing but face offs. He had so much patience none of you would ever understand. There was this kid there who was a little slow. Big though, holy crap. He was one of the older kids and when it came to on/off ice instruction he had a hard time understanding. He played organized hockey when he was 7 all the way through. It wasn't like it is now where I send my children to the IP program and they are 4.

Anyways this guy didn't seem to grasp a lot of the fundamentals of the game. Ryan Walter took him under his wing. Ryan knocked on the glass the very first day and got our centre off ice instructor to replace him so he could give this guy 1 on 1. The other guys didn't miss out because the off ice instructor was Jean Beliveau and he was great with the centres. He joked around a lot. Ryan was much more serious.

So Ryan spent so much time with this guy and when he found out that his parents had to save up for months to send their child there, and they really couldn't afford it. The next day he was absent during scrimmage and when he finally showed up for on ice instruction with Ryan, he had all new equipment, new skates, and a half dozen sticks. Yup, Ryan made his week turn pretty awesome. I think he made my week too.

Ask him about it the next time you see him. :)

Archived