The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons why I'll miss Roberto Luongo

Tom Sestito

My number one reason...

Every time we played an important game... every time we played a power house team... anytime we were battling for a conference lead or division lead... he ALWAYS STEPPED UP. Playoffs and regular season... the fact that people say hes a choker makes me want to stab them until they have a slow painful death.

One more reason actually... game 7 vs hawks. Biggest save in the history of the game on sharp. He doesnt make that save Canucks fans can never hold their heads up high. We owe all our pride to Roberto.

I want to thank him for dealing with all the bullsh!t everyone throws at him, both deserved and undeserved, and responding to the hate with nothing but support to Schneider and no sign of resentment to us.

I want to thank him for giving us a chance to win every game. I doubt many forwards see Luongo and think, "I'm putting this one in easy".

My number one reason...

Every time we played an important game... every time we played a power house team... anytime we were battling for a conference lead or division lead... he ALWAYS STEPPED UP. Playoffs and regular season... the fact that people say hes a choker makes me want to stab them until they have a slow painful death.

One more reason actually... game 7 vs hawks. Biggest save in the history of the game on sharp. He doesnt make that save Canucks fans can never hold their heads up high. We owe all our pride to Roberto.

I want to thank him for dealing with all the bullsh!t everyone throws at him, both deserved and undeserved, and responding to the hate with nothing but support to Schneider and no sign of resentment to us.

I want to thank him for giving us a chance to win every game. I doubt many forwards see Luongo and think, "I'm putting this one in easy".

- He stopped the revolving door of bad goalies after Kirk McClean left, provided some stability finally

- Got Vancouver excited about hockey again after the Naslund era

- Helped Canada win gold at the Olympics... in Vancouver!

- Was an excellent regular season goalie

- Was an absolute work horse most of his tenure here, starting in at times ridiculous amounts of games.

Thanks Luongo.

If I had to choose one memory to remember when I reflect back on Luongo, it was that time he took a puck to the throat, spent the entire night in the ICU at the hospital, then started for us the very next day and got a shut out. I think that really exemplified how much he cares about the Canucks winning and what an amazing work ethic he has.

He's a choker.

Game 7 vs the Hawks never should've even happened. We had a 3-0 series lead, Luongo melted down in games 4 and 5 and gave up the OT winner in 6, gave up the shorthanded tying goal in the dying minutes of 7.

Biggest save in the history of the game? Really? Personally I dont even consider it the biggest save in Canucks history. I'd say it is second to Kirk McLean's game 7 OT save in 1994.

Archived