The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons why I'll miss Roberto Luongo

Tom Sestito

I remember back in the 2006-2007 season, i wasn't much of a hockey fan. I remember one day that season, i decided to give hockey a chance. The thing that got me hooked was a guy by the name of Roberto Luongo. He was exciting to watch, and got me hooked. Since 2007-2008, my dad has been a season ticket holder. I've always been a lou fan, through thick and thin, being at game 7 of the cup finals, etc.

I think we all owe it to the best goalie in canucks history to show the smallest bit of appreciation we can, and heave some praise in one thread. I request that there won't be any flaming, or any hatred, or arguing in this thread.

To get us started off,

-He's the reason I'm a hockey fan

-He's the best goalie we've ever had

-He got us to the stanley cup finals

-Won us multiple division titles

-Only missed the playoffs once with him in our net.

I could go on for hours, but i'd like to hear from you guys. It doesn't even have to be reasons, just appreciation. :]

I remember back in the 2006-2007 season, i wasn't much of a hockey fan. I remember one day that season, i decided to give hockey a chance. The thing that got me hooked was a guy by the name of Roberto Luongo. He was exciting to watch, and got me hooked. Since 2007-2008, my dad has been a season ticket holder. I've always been a lou fan, through thick and thin, being at game 7 of the cup finals, etc.

I think we all owe it to the best goalie in canucks history to show the smallest bit of appreciation we can, and heave some praise in one thread. I request that there won't be any flaming, or any hatred, or arguing in this thread.

To get us started off,

-He's the reason I'm a hockey fan

-He's the best goalie we've ever had

-He got us to the stanley cup finals

-Won us multiple division titles

-Only missed the playoffs once with him in our net.

I could go on for hours, but i'd like to hear from you guys. It doesn't even have to be reasons, just appreciation. :]

Im 100% into this thread.

A pro-Luongo thread to remind us of the good times and the stellar goaltending he has brought us.

-Who can forget that Game 1 of the 2007 Playoffs. 4th overtime before Sedins put it away, what an opening game..

-His franchise record setting shutout streaks in back to back seasons. He seemed unstoppable at those times.

-Canada gets the gold :)

It'll be a shame to lose all those great "Trade Luongo" threads and proposals on CDC if God forbid he should be traded.

Tried, tested and true. Best goaltender the team has ever had. He deserves better than what he's been getting from the idiotic fans on this hockey club.

Best... Canucks... Goalie... Ever.

hasn't been the same athletically since his major groin tear, but, he is still top 10 in the world, IMO. Now he has stated publicly that he wants to move on, he will be moved, without question, at a lesser value than he's worth.

It's too bad Lu's tenure in VanCity had to end this way. Maybe Sammy's recent comments about management hold some merit?

:towel::canucks:

Honestly if Luongo plays in Florida..what all are these fans on this board going to discuss..Raymond or Malhotra every day?

TSN or Sportsnet poor them they will run of material to discuss.

Luongo puts the Canucks on the map everyday even when he plays poker in Vegas.

Do you hear aything about Kiprusoff, Khabibulin, Pavelec. Reimer. Anderson or even Carey Price?

What a loss even this board becomes very boring...

Not much talk good or bad about the Sedins .Kesler.Bieksa.Booth and company.

The Canucks organization made a mint with Luongo during 6 years.

The overtime performance in R1G1 of the 06/07 was amazing. But there was a game in the regular season that I will always remember Lou for. It was near the end of the season and we were playing the Red Wings. Lou was spectactular making over 30 saves in a 4-1 victory for the Canucks. I was at the game and I will always remember how loud the building was when Lou was named the first star of the game.

Man, I miss that team. Really feels like a Canuck all-star team. Luongo, Naslund, Morrison, Linden, Ohlund, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Salo... so many huge Canucks icons all on the ice at once (granted they weren't all stars yet).

I'll be honest, watching the OP's video of the dallas overtime game, I can clearly see why Luongo was praised as a hero. Those are amazing saves. Half of the stops he made are much likely to go in with his current style of playt into. Some of those top shelf glove saves that he made against Dallas are simply ones he would throw his shoulder at now and may or may not stop.

Luongo is one of the best goaltenders, if not the best, that this team has ever had. But this video clearly displays a more talented and skilled Roberto Luongo. I don't know if its age, injuries or morale, but they are not the same goalies.

Archived