The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian expectations for next season?

The Dark Knight

It's still the same coach isn't it?

Expect to spend very little time on the ice and next to none in the third period. Be pigeon holed into a grinder or be sent to the AHL.

Which is a shame since he is clearly a very skilled passer that if used correctly could be quite successful. Unfortunately I don't think he will be placed in a situation to succeed very often, if at all.

need to use him in a top 6 roll , if he isnt there then atleast a shutdown roll , i dont want too see him get 4th line minutes , if there going to try that again just send him to the wolves where he can play good minutes

hopefully he gets in on that second line

MAKE THE TEAM! Remember guys the kid is only 21 and big power forwards take time to develop into stars. We cannot judge Gillis on this trade yet. He doesn't have to put up big points or fill a big role on the second line next year. We should give him opportunities to do so but not force him into pressure situations.

Depends on a few things obviously - if the Canucks sign Doan, Kassian's top six opportunities will be significantly less, barring injury. If the Canucks don't sign/acquire another top six player, I could see Kassian moving up and down the lineup again, quite effectively - he and Hansen are the only natural right wings on the roster.

I fundamentally disagree with people who suggest he looked lost last year - he hasn't had the seasoning of the AHL, but IMO he is ready for the NHL and showed that in his short stint with the Canucks - he wasn't consistent, but he arrived in a new town, joined a contender in the playoff stretch, was replacing "the future captain of the Canucks", and was shuffled through the lineup - but one thing was consistent - the young guy can and will play at both ends of the ice, and that makes him a low risk young player. He was already more responsible than the player he was traded for and if you look at his numbers, his relative corsi was +1.8, whereas Hodgson was -6.8. I love the acquisition of Kassian.

With all the things Kassian has going for him, he can contribute whether he is scoring consistently or not, which is why I think he has a great chance of staying in the NHL and developing very nicely along the lines that Kesler, Burrows and Hansen did. Did anyone else notice who had the biggest smile on his face the day of the trade deadline? It was AV - and not just because the Canucks were moving Hodgson - AV no doubt loves what he sees in Kassian, and why wouldn't he. Kassian may not hit Bertuzzi scoring numbers until he is 25, but he also won't take until his mid thirties and a move to the Red Wings to learn how to play hockey on his side of the blueline. I love Bert, but he was an atrocity in his own end - he camped at the blueline waiting for the breakout when he was physically capable of making Morrison's job so much easier. The West Coast Express had a weak spot - it was being fore-checked hard - between a smaller center in Morrison and two one-way forwards in Naslund and Bertuzzi, that weakness cost a lot, particularly when teams started to put that formula together.

I think Kassian has the opportunity to be a skys-the-limit type of player - this year all I expect is that he shows up in shape, works hard, and continues where he left off last year. Good decisions with the puck, skates hard, smart level of aggression, takes his cue from his leaders and doesn't try to do too much. Won't be surprised if he has a very good season.

The way I see it, this season will unfold in 1 of two ways.

If the Canucks do not acquire a proven top 6 guy via trade or FA (versteeg, weise, doan, etc), they will go with a youth movement. And to be honest, I'm not against it. I think this oragnization is at a pretty interesting stage, where many prospects are now at NHL level...but we also want to win a cup NOW.

Expectations for Kassian are top 6. He needs to be a physical force, and put the puck in the net. This is the lineup I want without any FA signings/trades...

Sedin-Sedin-Booth

Kassian-Kesler-Burrows

Jensen-Schroeder-Higgins

Hansen-Lapierre-Raymond

Malhotra

That is a slick lineup.

Archived