The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian expectations for next season?

The Dark Knight

Frankly, it doesn't matter how many or how few points he scores, it's whether he's doing things right when he's not scoring. If AV sees his progress in that regard, Kassian will get more minutes in bigger situations. It's inevitable that Kassian will go through some scoring slumps, but if he keeps working hard, he won't be useless (and will get minutes).

He'll be play 3rd/4th line. I hope he will put up 15 goals 25-30 points. I mean if he scores more than that i'm going to be pumped. I love the guy and i love the way he plays. I can't wait to see what he will be at, at the top of his career.

send him to the AHL to develop, hoping he can carry a line all by himself and then bring him up for the playoffs.

my expectations:

-40 something pts if in the A, 10 fights 7 win 2 draw 1 loss, impact player

-20 something pts if with the big club, 5-10 fights, top 9 role

I'm hoping to see a lot of everything, but I don't expect to see it all each and every game.

Consistency is hard in the NHL. It took the Sedin's a while until they became consistent 82 game players.

He'll occasionally put it all together on the ice and tease us with a glimpse into his true potential. He'll thread passes, bulldoze his way to the net, hit everything in sight, and be a complete menace on the ice.

But then the next game he completely disappears. The natural reaction is to jump all over him, but even the best players in the world have bad games.

Mainly I just want to see nice hits, good play in all 3 zones, willingness to battle. That's all you should expect from him and the rest will be a bonus.

If he makes the team I'd like to see him be more physical and reliable defensively. offensively I want him to take the shots when he has the chance. Scoring around 30 points would be great. If He's on the fourth line (which I hope he isn't) and gets 20ish points that would be good.

I think it's top 6 minutes with the big club or top 6 in the AHL that he needs

I'd like to see him with the Sedins every now and then.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

Every line seems to have a mixture of Skill, Physicality and Speed. Plus, I feel Kassian would learn at a greater rate playing top minutes.

I honestly hope he doesn't get stuck playing on the 4th line this coming year.

He needs a year in the A to learn the big man's game, and learn to dominate it. I think learning the finer facets to his defensive coverage, and learning how to use his size most effectively against big men would be beneficial to him.

He looked a little lost last year, but that was to be expected. Everyone expecting him to be this crazed dog who will fight a bunch of people have got this kid wrong. He isn't a fighter, sure he can fight, but his value lies in his speed as a big man, and his ability to protect the puck and having some pretty decent hands for a guy his size.

I honestly think he should start the season ripping things up in the AHL, but if he comes to camp tuned and really playing well, then obviously no. But still, I think using him as a 4th line banger is a waste of his potential. We don't need him to be a 4th line crasher, we want him to develop into a scoring power forward. Playing 7 minutes a night just hitting things isn't going to help him become that.

While I was hoping for more last year (taking into consideration what we gave up) I'm a little more realistic this year.

I want to see him start on the 4th and hopefully move his way onto the 3rd through hard-hitting play in the offensive zone while demonstrating defensive responsibility. I'm not expecting him to score a bunch of goals - although they would be welcome.

I would like to see him become a dominant player in the AHL. Developing the skills that he has as a power forward. I do not want to see him playing 4th line minutes on the nucks.

It would also be fantastic if people would quit comparing him to Cody Hodgson. They have totally different playing styles. Apples and oranges.

I don't want to see him on the Canucks unless he proves he can be at the very least a reliable third line player. Maybe 15-25 points and being a physical, gritty presence. If not, the Canucks should send him down to the AHL where he can get lots of ice time and be an impact player. I'd rather have him there than playing on the 4th line full time, getting limited ice time.

Archived