The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are some of your favourite 90s Rock songs?

Bieksa's Quote

Favourite 90s Songs  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you find intolerable about Nirvana songs? They're so simple and that's what makes them great. Yes, they're an overrated band and there are better ones out there, but they got big for good reason.

Unlike what you see today in the music industry - Lady Gaga, One Direction .. and now BC-born Carly Rae Jepsen. Now THESE guys, I find intolerable..

Doesn't necessarily have to be plain rock. It can be borderline metal. There are a lot of classics. Some of them I've listed in my post in another topic earlier:

As I said there, there's a lot of stuff I left out. RHCP, AC/DC, RATM, Kyuss, Mudhoney, SOAD .. to name a few. I tried cramming them into the poll.

Edit: Also feel free to add your own favourites! I'd be interested to see what your picks are like.

are you trying to be controversial, or do you honestly believe this?

there's better writing in one single In Utero track than the entire foo fighters discography

The Colour and the Shape was pretty good back in the day, but man, that band is the definition of a one trick pony

To me, that's some of the most generic sounding rock one could post. It literally sounds like all the stuff they play on Modern Rock Radio, 24/7

Of course there's nothing really wrong with that, but doesn't it get boring? The Colour and the Shape was a great example of how a lot of great hooks combined with 'modern rock' elements could create a pretty good (relatively speaking) album, but to seriously build a career on the exact same formula, without showing ANY creativity outside of production techniques...

I dunno dude. Different strokes for different folks.

Posting a bunch of Foo Fighters tracks really highlights the brilliance of Nirvana. While the band was OBVIOUSLY 'grunge' band, there are very notable differences and attempts at artistic 'steps' taken between their albums. Compare "Bleach" and "In Utero" and listen for the huge differences. Hell, you can even listen to Nevermind, and factor in Cobain's displeasure with the album to see the constantly shifting style at work. Cobain was the anti rock star, while Dave Grohl has turned into the anti-anti rock star.

On the other hand, listen to Foo Fighters' "In Your Honour" followed by "Wasting Light" and listen to how it's more or less the exact same product. Colour and the Shape is the same thing too. Their debut is, again, the exact same style, just with more lo-fi production. Foo Fighters just don't take chances.

I think it comes down to opinion, obviously the Foo Fighters wouldn't exist to start with if it weren't for Nirvana. I personally like the Foos a bit more, but only because Grohl's vocals seem more epic. Cobain was definitely the better lyricist, and if Nirvana had a larger discography perhaps I would think otherwise.

Some of my favourite Foos tracks are actually "hidden" ones .. some of the B-sides that didn't make Foo albums are better than a lot of their filler crap:

^Not to be confused with album name, it's a self-titled B-side track (recorded in the 90s, but only got released with the 10th yr edition of TCATS in '07).

^This is actually a cover on a song by The Obsessed .. awesome metal band in case you don't know them.

^Off their last album. I actually like this over a few of the songs on Wasting Light.

To me, that's some of the most generic sounding rock one could post. It literally sounds like all the stuff they play on Modern Rock Radio, 24/7

Of course there's nothing really wrong with that, but doesn't it get boring? The Colour and the Shape was a great example of how a lot of great hooks combined with 'modern rock' elements could create a pretty good (relatively speaking) album, but to seriously build a career on the exact same formula, without showing ANY creativity outside of production techniques...

I dunno dude. Different strokes for different folks.

Posting a bunch of Foo Fighters tracks really highlights the brilliance of Nirvana. While the band was OBVIOUSLY 'grunge' band, there are very notable differences and attempts at artistic 'steps' taken between their albums. Compare "Bleach" and "In Utero" and listen for the huge differences. Hell, you can even listen to Nevermind, and factor in Cobain's displeasure with the album to see the constantly shifting style at work. Cobain was the anti rock star, while Dave Grohl has turned into the anti-anti rock star.

On the other hand, listen to Foo Fighters' "In Your Honour" followed by "Wasting Light" and listen to how it's more or less the exact same product. Colour and the Shape is the same thing too. Their debut is, again, the exact same style, just with more lo-fi production. Foo Fighters just don't take chances.

agreed, the foo's music if far superior to anything nirvana ever did, but I won't hesitate to say nirvana had better lyrics, for the most part.

honestly, the foo's cover of Baker Street is my favorite version of the song, and one of my favorite foo songs.

I loved In Utero, but Bleach sounded fairly average to me. Also, I think the Foo Fighters sound pretty different, the albums btwn The Colour and The Shape & Wasting Light are hella lot more mellow sounding. My personal favourite is still the debut album, Grohl recorded all the instruments himself, nuff said.

Edit: also, most of the variation with the FF is within their albums, unlike Nirvana which was btwn them. For example, compare Erase/Replace with Home. Completely different. My only gripe with the Foos is there is too much repetition in the lyrics (as I said, Cobain was hands down the better lyricist).

Archived