The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will you vote for?

Jester13

BC provincial election  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simple enough. I just moved to Montreal from BC recently, I'm a political junkie, and I'm quite curious as to how people will vote when an election is in fact called by the Libs. I'm curious because I think this election will have a large impact on the federal election in three years. If BC does go NDP then it will be a huge boost for Mulcair, if not, Harper gets the advantage. I still think there is a pretty good chance that the federal NDP and Liberals will be forced to join in order to not split the vote like the CA and PC parties were doing in the past which gave the Liberals three majorities under Chretien and a minority under Martin. If they don't join forces we might very well see Harper for a looooong time. Anyways, thx!

P.S

I sure hope the season goes as planned because I'm going to the Nucks Vs Habs game in November!!! Fack ya doggy!!!

I have not yet given up on the Liberal Party of BC, but dang close. They are too far right for me, and clearly the Conservatives are too far right as well. I wouldn't normally support the BC NDP, but in the limited field of three choices who might actually form government, I am leaning NDP, but hoping Christy Clark can bring the Libs closer to center so I can vote for them.

I am probably voting Liberals and I seriously doubt a merger will occur. It will force too many of the centrist BC Liberal supporters like me to some other party. I voted NDP in the by election for Point Grey after Christy Clark arrogantly refused to attend the debate and because I knew she was going to win.

You should add a Green option. They are still a significant portion of the vote.

Can’t Trust Cummins

British Columbians need leaders who get the facts straight, look out for the best interests of all British Columbians and practice what they preach. That’s NOT BCC leader John Cummins – Cummins is all over the map:

• Cummins supported big spending, big taxing NDP. He calls himself a conservative but voted for the NDP instead of either the BC Liberals or even the BC Conservatives. His NDP vote would have cost British Columbians $3.6 billion in new spending and $1 billion in new taxes.

• One set of rules for John Cummins, another for hard-working British Columbians. While John Cummins collects a $100,000 federal pension, he opposes an increase to the minimum wage so that workers in BC no longer earn the lowest minimum wage in the country.

• Putting BC’s economy at risk – Instead of supporting plans to create jobs, economic development and improving the Pacific Gateway, John Cummins opposes job creation efforts, and flip-flops on economic development. Maybe it’s because he can’t get his facts straight.

Look around the site, get the facts and share the news. You’ll see BC just can’t trust Cummins.

Pension and Minimum Wage

John Cummins opposed Premier Christy Clark’s minimum wage increase, but he’s happy to take a $100,000.00 annual pension for himself. He doesn’t think hard-working low-income families deserve a raise, but said he took the pension because in his own words, “I owe it to my offspring.”

And the cherry on top? Cummins wants your vote so he can collect a BC government paycheque every week.

Sources:

Who Cummins Voted For

Cummins didn’t believe in the BC Conservatives in the last election, so he supported the NDP. He voted for NDP candidate Guy Gentner. Here are the things that Guy Gentner stands for:

• More regulation by government, stifling free enterprise and hurting BC’s economy.

• Support for big unions while the rest of us pay more and get less.

• A return to the policies of the 90′s when people were leaving BC and our economy was in decline even as the rest of the country was growing.

Do we really want to make big unions stronger while those who are creating economic growth are stifled and forced to leave BC to find opportunity? We don’t think so and John Cummins probably doesn’t either. Then why did he vote NDP? He can’t be trusted with his own vote, but he wants you to trust him with yours.

What Cummins Voted For

Here is what John Cummins’ vote meant when he voted NDP in 2009.

NDP Prior to 2009

• High Taxes: Voted against every tax cut for British Columbians since 2001

• Blocking Jobs and Free Trade: Voted against a bill that reduces barriers to the free movement of workers, goods, services and investment between B.C. and Alberta – an agreement that has benefitted BC workers

• Soft on Crime: Voted against the Youth Justice Act, a bill that increased jail time for the most serious provincial statute offences

NDP’s 2009 Platform

• More Taxes: Over $1-billion in new taxes on the economy, including a tax on investment

• More Spending: Over $3.6-billion in new spending

• Hammering Small Business: Opposed small business tax cuts

John Cummins claims to be a conservative, but he voted for a party that he calls “incompetent,” and “fiscally irresponsible.” And now he wants your vote. You can’t trust John Cummins with his own vote, how can you trust him with yours?

Sources:

• Convention Speech Notes, May 28/11

Reckless on the Economy

John Cummins is simply reckless on the most important economic issues facing British Columbia.

Cummins opposed the Asia-Pacific Gateway, an important economic initiative that is creating jobs for British Columbians by improving access to growing markets. This initiative has benefitted BC by diversifying our province away from our dependence on US trade while making needed improvements in roads, bridges and ports.

Cummins opposes Premier Christy Clark’s efforts to promote BC’s bid to get a share of the contracts to build ships for the Canadian Navy and Coast Guard. How can you be for Canada’s west coast and against ensuring that BC’s workers get to build our Navy and Coast Guard ships?

And to top it all off, Cummins can’t even get his numbers right on taxes!

“We think we’ve got it all, what we don’t realize is, really is, is how hard done by we really are. Because, when you look at the taxes in British Columbia, we pay higher taxes than they do in any province west of Quebec.” – John Cummins, Sep 17/11

Here are the facts when it comes to taxes in British Columbia:

• British Columbians’ personal income taxes have been cut by 37 percent or more since

2001 – the lowest in Canada up to $119,000.

• B.C. has no provincial income taxes for anyone making less than $18,800 a year.

• An additional 325,000 low income earners don’t pay any provincial income tax.

• Small business taxes have been reduced 44%, and will be eliminated in 2012 – the lowest rate

in Canada.

• Corporate income taxes have been reduced by 39% to 10% – the lowest in Canada.

• B.C. eliminated the corporate capital tax on financial and non-financial institutions.

John Cummins owes it to British Columbians to take a principled approach to the most important economic issues of the day, not to make things up on the fly. Managing this province’s economy during these troubled economic times takes a serious, free-enterprise government – not an unprincipled opportunist who cannot even get his facts straight.

Sources:

• MP Statement, May 7/09

• BCCP News Release, Jun 22/11

Reckless on Jobs

John Cummins’ breath-taking flip flops on improving roads, ports, bridges and airports (the Pacific Gateway strategy) is further proof we can’t trust Cummins on jobs and the economy. Over the years Cummins has opposed numerous measures to create jobs for British Columbians and to increase British Columbia’s trade with Asia. Cummins opposed the Delta Port expansion, the Port Metro Vancouver merger, and the Asia Pacific Gateway project.

Given his anti-Gateway job-killing stance, it’s not surprising that Cummins also opposes the Premier’s job-creating program to improve BC’s trade with Asia. Cummins is simply all over the map on Gateway:

• Cummins opposed the Delta Port expansion, the Port Metro Vancouver merger, and the Pacific Gateway program.

• Then, Cummins and the BCC supported the construction or upgrading of pipeline or other movement corridors to facilitate the export of oil and natural gas through BC ports.

• Less than a month later, Cummins opposed the Premier’s jobs plan – a plan that includes $15 million in funding for Road Rail and Utility Corridor in Prince Rupert, and supports developing up to three LNG plants in Kitimat by 2020 – despite the support for such a plan from his party’s policy document.

• Finally, at the BCC Convention, Cummins’ party passed a policy resolution in support of the construction or upgrading of pipeline or other movement corridors to facilitate the export of oil and natural gas through BC ports.

Whether he’s calling himself a conservative and voting NDP, or opposing measures to increase British Columbia’s trade with Asia, you just Can’t Trust Cummins. During these tough economic times, people want clarity and leadership – not the contradictions and disarray offered by Cummins and the BCC.

Sources:

• johncummins.ca, Mar 22/07

• Delta Optimist, Jun 23/07

• johncummins.ca, May 9/09

• BCC Policy, Aug 23/11

• BCC News Release, Sep 20/11

• BCC Policy, Sep 17/11

BCC≠CPC

John Cummins and the BCC Party may be happy that people keep thinking they’re associated with the federal Conservative Party. They are not.

In reality, leading federal Conservatives such as former British Columbia MP’s Chuck Strahl, Stockwell Day and Jay Hill all support Premier Christy Clark’s BC Liberals. That’s because Premier Christy Clark believes in a united, free-enterprise coalition and supports policies to move BC’s economy forward. These people understand that all you achieve by dividing the free-enterprise vote is electing an NDP government.

Sources:

• Stockwell Day, Richmond News, Jun 1/11

• Jay Hill, Globe & Mail, Mar 30/11

• Chuck Strahl, BCLiberals.com, May 28/11

http://canttrustcummins.ca/

I am probably voting Liberals and I seriously doubt a merger will occur. It will force too many of the centrist BC Liberal supporters like me to some other party. I voted NDP in the by election for Point Grey after Christy Clark arrogantly refused to attend the debate and because I knew she was going to win.

You should add a Green option. They are still a significant portion of the vote.

If Christy Clark supports the Northern Gateway or continues to sit on the fence, she is losing my vote. Either way, I know they are going to lose. A massive loss at the polls might be just what the Liberals need. It will mean cleaning out of most of the Gordon Campbell old guard (including Christy) and some fresh blood coming in.

Archived