- Give reasoning why player x should remain with your franchise
- Provide an initial contract offer
- Provide what role they are expected to play
- Players will not like being lowballed
- Players may not accept your original offers
- Lowballing notable RFAs may cause them to hold out
- Not all players will want to remain with their team, I try to put myself in the head of the player when doing negotiations (that being said, not every player is going to want to test free agency either, for they would prefer to remain where they are)
- I will only be allowing contract extensions for players who are entering free agency at the end of THIS season
- Most important of all, MANAGE YOUR CAP! I highly reccomend you not spending every last penny, $ space to be able to call up a player pending injuries.
This is not directed at anybody, I have yet to read or go through any contract extensions, but I will be getting to them this week.