The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pittsburgh makes offer to Shane Doan

Idk if I'm supposed to post this as a new topic or in an existing thread. If I should've posted this in an existing thread then mods please inform me and lock.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/16/report-pittsburgh-makes-offer-to-shane-doan/

Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the Penguins have made a contract offer to UFA forward Shane Doan.

Anderson didn’t obtain either the terms or dollar amount being offered, but did say the longtime Phoenix Coyote has a “mutual interest” in Pittsburgh.

It’s not entirely surprising that Pittsburgh wants Doan. The Pens have been actively searching for a winger to play with Sidney Crosby and, after losing out on the Zach Parise sweepstakes, have discussed with a number of the “Plan B” free agents — including Washington’s Alex Semin.

The wildcard in Doan talks? What kind of money GM Ray Shero put on the table. The Penguins have just under $10 million in available cap space and have no glaring roster holes to fill, meaning they could make a pretty lucrative pitch to the 35-year-old.

That’s key, because a report out of Arizona last week said a mystery team from the Eastern Conference offered Doan a four-year, $30 million-plus deal.

Unfortunately, if the Coyotes sale is approved, his most likely decision will be returning to Phoenix. These are all Plan B options for him. He has waited this long for one purpose: to see whether the Coyotes are staying in the desert.

I like how people go on about what a classy guy Doan is, then in the very next breath they imply he's just in it for the money by saying he'll go to the highest bidder. If he cared just about money he would have left Phoenix July 1. Not every one is obsessed with getting the maximum amount of money..

Look at Hamhuis, Garrison, Burrows, even Kesler and the Sedins. Most of the guys on our team took a paycut, so I don't know why everyone assumes every single player is out for the big jack pot.

That Doan would receive multiple offers, many of them very lucrative even by NHL standards, should be of no surprise to anyone. An individual of his calibre, as a player, humanitarian, and person, should be highly coveted by every single team in the league. You've got to shake your head at a team like Pit who, if the reports are true, would initially pursue a guy like Semin over a guy like Doan.

That Doan would receive multiple offers, many of them very lucrative even by NHL standards, should be of no surprise to anyone.  An individual of his calibre, as a player, humanitarian, and person, should be highly coveted by every single team in the league.  You've got to shake your head at a team like Pit who, if the reports are true, would initially pursue a guy like Semin over a guy like Doan.

Archived