The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Referee Mic'd up during 2011 SCF Game 3

Xbox

LA Kings won the cup this year off a terribly reffed game 6... Bernier's hit was right to be a game misconduct, but a 5 minute major? Give me a break. 2 minutes in the box, tops...

3 goals due to that call.. That's how you win Stanley Cups now adays apparently

It's called Hockey Gods, which is a different way of saying hidden agenda, most likely hatred for the canucks team. In addition, they didn't need to blow bad calls, they just needed to blow bad calls so that one team gets the momentum. From that point on, the relative equal skill of the teams would probably give the win to their target.

No, you are just looking from a completely biased view point. First of all, no game is easy to officiate, and I'm saying that from experience. One time, an 8 year old took a shot, and it deflected off the goalie's stick and hit me right in the eye.

Calling penalties is tough, because every team has a different basic personality. As hockeyville88 said, the Bruins and Canucks have completely opposite ways of playing, This causes for excellent observation skills, which even professional officials may not have. That being said, it is even more difficult to officiate this series than it would be to officiate these two teams in the regular season, because you have the eyes of the media on you, the eyes of the hungry fans (who haven't won a Cup for over 30 years) on you, and the team, who have worked and trained their whole lives for this moment.

Officiating, at any level, is never easy. This was an extremely difficult series to officiate, based on the reasons I provided above. I hope you will take this into account for the next time you criticize officials, and if you have never been a referee, then be silent on the topic while the actual referees on CDC judge the situation.

the math is really quite simple: 4 refs watching 12 players = s--t happens.

the refs aren't robots and they don't have instant replay installed in their brains... tho something like a digital visor could be neat. i digress. they also are not officiating a game played by robots (or animatronics?), everyone is real and just like us, they miss things. they also have to encounter various personalities (as humans tend to have) and different attitudes and temperaments. to say they're under little or no pressure in any given game, let alone a SCF one, is absolutely ludicrous.

but! the league and the refs do need to sit down and get their stories straight. i suppose they might just have the time to do that (damnit).

however, for everyone who essentially says, "they just need to call infractions"... while they're uniforms may be black and white, the reality we live in (the one where the game is played consequently) is more or less shades of grey. if they did call every single penalty, do you understand how utterly long and boring a game would be? they use discretion and experience while observing an unpredictable competition (on skates!), this is at least somewhat relevant to almost anyone with a job - minus the thousands to millions of fans watching (and the skates!). i'm not saying there aren't terrible refs who shouldn't have their jobs, most companies have a few employees it shouldn't. but the fact is we as fans generally don't know when there is poor officiating because it's not our job to know. this is entertainment, and one of it's biggest effects is controversy.

so, as stated at the beginning of this: s--t happens.

ps> awesome find, OP!

You must be a ref, Ryan Murray. My statement must have got your undies in a twist.

Well I guess when being self-righteous comes naturally to some folk they take umbrage to others bashing their "craft"

Guess what? I have a right to my opinion. I don't need to be silent. I think it's best of you found that comfy rock and crawl back under it. Understand?

same old argument........if they called everything........the game would get slow...news flash....if they called everything.......players would start playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

teams that are better at the game would win.

less head injuries.

when was the last time "attempt to injure" was called durring a game. strange, cause it happens all the time.

when boston and van met in the regular season last year, i believe everything was called. it was a great game.

Archived