The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Referee Mic'd up during 2011 SCF Game 3

Xbox

I personally felt Bernier's hit was worthy of the 5 minute, although the missed call on Stoll would have never resulted in this hit in the first place.

As for the reffing - it's easy for us to blame the refs, but we have no idea how hard and what it takes to be a good ref. Just like we don't know what it takes to be a NHL player and go through slumps, injuries, etc.

Lordy - that's the closest I've come to watching highlights of the Boston series (I can't even watch the games we won in that round :( )

But great find OP. That must have been a heck of a hard series to officiate. Between the Canucks' diving and the Bruins' goonery and the fact that one wrong call could lose a team the Stanley Cup, there was a lot of pressure on the officials.

Lordy - that's the closest I've come to watching highlights of the Boston series (I can't even watch the games we won in that round :( )

But great find OP. That must have been a heck of a hard series to officiate. Between the Canucks' diving and the Bruins' goonery and the fact that one wrong call could lose a team the Stanley Cup, there was a lot of pressure on the officials.

LA Kings won the cup this year off a terribly reffed game 6... Bernier's hit was right to be a game misconduct, but a 5 minute major? Give me a break. 2 minutes in the box, tops...

3 goals due to that call.. That's how you win Stanley Cups now adays apparently

Are we really still whining about the reffing??

Our power play was anemic, we went 2-28. Our penalty kill was anemic. Move on guys - it has been a year. We got outplayed that 4 of the 3 games in that series...we lost. It's over.

The past is exactly what it is....past. Live for the future.

the math is really quite simple: 4 refs watching 12 players = s--t happens.

the refs aren't robots and they don't have instant replay installed in their brains... tho something like a digital visor could be neat. i digress. they also are not officiating a game played by robots (or animatronics?), everyone is real and just like us, they miss things. they also have to encounter various personalities (as humans tend to have) and different attitudes and temperaments. to say they're under little or no pressure in any given game, let alone a SCF one, is absolutely ludicrous.

but! the league and the refs do need to sit down and get their stories straight. i suppose they might just have the time to do that (damnit).

however, for everyone who essentially says, "they just need to call infractions"... while they're uniforms may be black and white, the reality we live in (the one where the game is played consequently) is more or less shades of grey. if they did call every single penalty, do you understand how utterly long and boring a game would be? they use discretion and experience while observing an unpredictable competition (on skates!), this is at least somewhat relevant to almost anyone with a job - minus the thousands to millions of fans watching (and the skates!). i'm not saying there aren't terrible refs who shouldn't have their jobs, most companies have a few employees it shouldn't. but the fact is we as fans generally don't know when there is poor officiating because it's not our job to know. this is entertainment, and one of it's biggest effects is controversy.

so, as stated at the beginning of this: s--t happens.

ps> awesome find, OP!

Are we really still whining about the reffing??

Our power play was anemic, we went 2-28. Our penalty kill was anemic. Move on guys - it has been a year. We got outplayed that 4 of the 3 games in that series...we lost. It's over.

The past is exactly what it is....past. Live for the future.

Archived