The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do you think should play with Garrison next season?

kj29

Garrison  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd go with Garrison and Edler as your "offensive pairing" and Hamhuis and Bieksa as your "shut down" pairing. It's hard to say which would be the 1st unit and which would be 2nd, I could see the ice time being divided pretty equally. I'll give it to the Canucks, you guys have an excellent top 4 defense. I like Tanev as well, but he's still developing.

Definitely Alex Edler. Besides the fact that Hamhuis and Bieksa are already established as one of the league's top shutdown pairings, Garrison just seems like an appropriate partner for Edler. He acts as a steadying presence so that Edler can be a bit more freewheeling, even though most times Edler is a steadying presence himself.

I want to go off the board and say Hamhuis, as the two are both BC boys, both are shutdown defencemen with offensive upside and it's immune to the occasional Bieksa brain fart that Hamhuis - Bieksa sometimes has.

Of course, that means Bieksa would need a new partner and he'd likely not be as good (as he feeds off of Hamhuis exceptionally well), but if it means having the optimal shutdown pairing to use against the opponents' first lines, it's worth taking a look at in the preseason or early on in the season.

Otherwise, Edler - Garrison is the most likely option, but Bieksa should also be mentioned because he has strong skating and offensive instincts, similar to, but not quite as refined as, Campbell's.

I want to go off the board and say Hamhuis, as the two are both BC boys, both are shutdown defencemen with offensive upside and it's immune to the occasional Bieksa brain fart that Hamhuis - Bieksa sometimes has.

Of course, that means Bieksa would need a new partner and he'd likely not be as good (as he feeds off of Hamhuis exceptionally well), but if it means having the optimal shutdown pairing to use against the opponents' first lines, it's worth taking a look at in the preseason or early on in the season.

Otherwise, Edler - Garrison is the most likely option, but Bieksa should also be mentioned because he has strong skating and offensive instincts, similar to, but not quite as refined as, Campbell's.

I would say Bieksa...Bieksa is the most adept playmaking defenceman out of the mix, which would allow for a nice transition for Garrison (i.e., Brian Campbell to Kevin Bieksa). Garrison's stay-at-home abilities would complement Bieksa's high risk game.

My opinion of Edler is that he's a shoot first, pass second kind of a D-Man in the offensive zone, so a pairing with Hamhuis would be a good complement to his game. As well, I see Edler still on the development trajectory, so Hamhuis, being a calming influence, would further complement Edler.

Garrison LD - Bieksa RD

Edler LD - Hamhuis RD

Ballard LD - Tanev RD

Alberts LD (platoon) - new guy from Hurricanes (platoon)

This is another option, going with a pucker move and shut down defenseman in each pairing. But that comes down to chemistry, will both pairings work well together. I think Garrison is good enough to partner with either style of defenseman, but I'd stick him with another offensive defenseman given the success he had with Campbell last year.

I would say Bieksa...Bieksa is the most adept playmaking defenceman out of the mix, which would allow for a nice transition for Garrison (i.e., Brian Campbell to Kevin Bieksa). Garrison's stay-at-home abilities would complement Bieksa's high risk game.

My opinion of Edler is that he's a shoot first, pass second kind of a D-Man in the offensive zone, so a pairing with Hamhuis would be a good complement to his game. As well, I see Edler still on the development trajectory, so Hamhuis, being a calming influence, would further complement Edler.

Garrison LD - Bieksa RD

Edler LD - Hamhuis RD

Ballard LD - Tanev RD

Alberts LD (platoon) - new guy from Hurricanes (platoon)

Archived