The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do you think should play with Garrison next season?

kj29

Garrison  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Depends... if our d stays the same then Edler.

if we get Weber then Bieksa

if Edler is traded then Ballard

if AV wants to make an all bc dpair then Hamhuis

if Garrison is slumping and moved to the third pair then Tanev

I think it will depend on how AV uses his pairings next yr. He can form 2 legitimate shutdown parings (Hammer-Bieksa, Garrison- Tanev), then shelter the heck out of Edler/partner.

or

Or he can have a shutdown pairing (Hammer-Bieksa), give 'average' tough mins to Edler-Garrison and more sheltered mins to Ballard-Tanev.

I don't think Gillis is done on the d front. I think Ballard gets traded and he picks up another d-man or two.

Edler or Ballard. Garrison would complement their games very nicely.

Ballard is the kind of guy who would benefit most from a defensively sound, defensive-minded partner, because Keith likes to rush the puck up the ice. If you go and watch a lot of his highlights from his Phoenix is Florida days, a lot of his assists are from him flying up the wing.

Exactly. Edler doesn't have the wheels Campbell has, but has the offensive instincts and is a bit more well-rounded. With Hamhuis - Bieksa already a proven combination, Garrison is very likely going to play with Edler, but it wouldn't hurt to have a true shutdown pairing against those juggernaut offensive systems.

I'm really stoked for the preseason and first few regular season games because we haven't really had this good a defence corps, especially with Ballard and Tanev showing a lot of promise and chemistry as a third pairing.

I would say Bieksa...Bieksa is the most adept playmaking defenceman out of the mix, which would allow for a nice transition for Garrison (i.e., Brian Campbell to Kevin Bieksa). Garrison's stay-at-home abilities would complement Bieksa's high risk game.

My opinion of Edler is that he's a shoot first, pass second kind of a D-Man in the offensive zone, so a pairing with Hamhuis would be a good complement to his game. As well, I see Edler still on the development trajectory, so Hamhuis, being a calming influence, would further complement Edler.

Garrison LD - Bieksa RD

Edler LD - Hamhuis RD

Ballard LD - Tanev RD

Alberts LD (platoon) - new guy from Hurricanes (platoon)

The only problem with this is that Garrison and Bieksa are the only defencemen who play right (in the top four). Ballard is also comparable to Brian Campbell, at least in the skating department, and perhaps Garrison's shutdown ability will complement Ballard, giving the threat of a rush by Ballard or a cannon by Garrison without missing out on too much in the defensive zone.

Also, Hamhuis should play on the left, as he's our best defensive defenceman (and we don't want to lose that ability by playing him on his off side). If we keep Hamhuis and Bieksa together, it means Tanev can develop his offensive game with Edler. I'm not sold on Edler - Tanev yet, but it's worth a shot early on.

Archived