Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who do you think should play with Garrison next season?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Garrison (203 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think should play with Garrison next season?

1. Edler (164 votes [80.79%])

Percentage of vote: 80.79%

2. Hamhuis (8 votes [3.94%])

Percentage of vote: 3.94%

3. Bieksa (6 votes [2.96%])

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

4. Ballard (15 votes [7.39%])

Percentage of vote: 7.39%

5. Tanev (9 votes [4.43%])

Percentage of vote: 4.43%

6. Other (please specify below!!!) (1 votes [0.49%])

Percentage of vote: 0.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

The real question is who will our top pairing.

The million dollar question.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#32 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

If Edler becomes consistent in hitting this year and Ballard and Hamhuis start throwing hip checks again, we could have a pretty physical D with Garrison.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#33 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Formerly Castiel

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Rome

weber.gif

#34 minhas111

minhas111

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Exactly. Edler doesn't have the wheels Campbell has, but has the offensive instincts and is a bit more well-rounded. With Hamhuis - Bieksa already a proven combination, Garrison is very likely going to play with Edler, but it wouldn't hurt to have a true shutdown pairing against those juggernaut offensive systems.

I'm really stoked for the preseason and first few regular season games because we haven't really had this good a defence corps, especially with Ballard and Tanev showing a lot of promise and chemistry as a third pairing.

I agree with the above post. With the above three defensive pairings, Canucks have impoved their defence.

#35 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,392 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

Gotta be Edler. He and Juice just didn't work.
Edler and Garrison could be epic.
Hammer keeps Juice and wins the Norris.
Ballard and Tanev will be the best third pairing in the NHL.

#36 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

I would say Bieksa...Bieksa is the most adept playmaking defenceman out of the mix, which would allow for a nice transition for Garrison (i.e., Brian Campbell to Kevin Bieksa). Garrison's stay-at-home abilities would complement Bieksa's high risk game.

My opinion of Edler is that he's a shoot first, pass second kind of a D-Man in the offensive zone, so a pairing with Hamhuis would be a good complement to his game. As well, I see Edler still on the development trajectory, so Hamhuis, being a calming influence, would further complement Edler.

Garrison LD - Bieksa RD
Edler LD - Hamhuis RD
Ballard LD - Tanev RD
Alberts LD (platoon) - new guy from Hurricanes (platoon)

Hamhuis doesn't like playing RD, they tried that last year when they paired him with Edler so Garrison will end up on the RD side with either Hamhuis or most likely Edler.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#37 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

The only problem with this is that Garrison and Bieksa are the only defencemen who play right (in the top four). Ballard is also comparable to Brian Campbell, at least in the skating department, and perhaps Garrison's shutdown ability will complement Ballard, giving the threat of a rush by Ballard or a cannon by Garrison without missing out on too much in the defensive zone.

Also, Hamhuis should play on the left, as he's our best defensive defenceman (and we don't want to lose that ability by playing him on his off side). If we keep Hamhuis and Bieksa together, it means Tanev can develop his offensive game with Edler. I'm not sold on Edler - Tanev yet, but it's worth a shot early on.

Those are good points Bieksa...and I would agree with your assessment on Ballard. What is now about having Garrison in the line up is that it gives us some nice options, including a player who can log heavy minutes if necessary (which is the one distinct advantage of having Garrison in the lineup over Salo).

If Ballard can rediscover the game he had in PHX and Tanev's development trajectory is northward, then AV will have lots of options. Internal competition for ice time will hopefully make everyone that much better.

One last thought...wouldn't it be great if we had a completely healthy defence corp for an entire season? I realize this is not likely to happen but, wishful thinking on a hot July evening.

#38 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

i hope MG knows we need more studs on D. no offence to Ballard and Tanev but id prefer to have a couple monsters back there 6"5 + with mean streaks that clear the front like nobodies business
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#39 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Edler hands down.
The chemistry between Hamhuis & Bieksa is too good to be broken up
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#40 yung dawg

yung dawg

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

shane doan :bigblush:

#41 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Edler- Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

(Throw in Alberts instead of Tanev when playing the more physical teams)

If we want to throw 3 equal pairings I'd like to see:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Garrison (Ballard's puck-rushing abilities and his good passing would be a nice compliment to Garrison's style and his big shot)
Edler - Tanev (Tanev is a great passer and puck mover as well and plays a smart defensive game which works well with Edler.)

Edited by ButterBean, 18 July 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#42 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,353 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

Went with Edler. It was the overwhelming majority to no surprise. Hammer and Bieksa work well together so leave it alone.
Posted Image

#43 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

Weber.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#44 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:32 AM

edler for sure
Posted Image

#45 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

Garrison needs to be fed the puck so that eliminates Bieksa.

If Hamhuis is the chosen one where goes Bieksa?

Edler and Bieksa together would be entertaining but not sure how many games we would win.

Garrison is defensively responsible so I vote for Ballard as a partner and put Bieksa on the third pairing for a while.

That way he might start playing like Ballard did down the stretch-as in cover for his mates and use his body.

#46 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

i hope MG knows we need more studs on D. no offence to Ballard and Tanev but id prefer to have a couple monsters back there 6"5 + with mean streaks that clear the front like nobodies business

Ballard and Hamhuis were the only D that even looked interested in taking the body,
Tanev will be a very good d man,just not in the physical sense.

#47 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Studs =/= big bodies.

While I agree that we would like a physically imposing defenceman, I also think we're spoiled to have Ballard and Tanev as a (tentative) third pairing.

#48 Jagorim Jarg

Jagorim Jarg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Edler for sure. When we get into the offensive zone we have two d-man who can absolutely murder the puck on the end. Just have to make sure to have a responsible centre to be there when they pinch too much.

Edler is great at murdering the puck. Now if only he could hit the net once in a while.

#49 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,423 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Obviously Edler. No one else besides Hamhuis is good enough to cover his brutal defensive ability. Hamhuis is already covering Bieksa's terrible defensive ability.

Lol, our d sucks. Hopefully Garrison can turn that into a top notch line, with him they should have all the bases covered.

Edler or Ballard. Garrison would complement their games very nicely.

Ballard is the kind of guy who would benefit most from a defensively sound, defensive-minded partner, because Keith likes to rush the puck up the ice. If you go and watch a lot of his highlights from his Phoenix is Florida days, a lot of his assists are from him flying up the wing.

I would be very intrigued to see him with Ballard and think they might be awesome together but then were f'ed with Edler again. He has to play with him or AV is just stupid. Everyone else has proven they can't adapt their game to play with Edler.

Edited by Dogbyte, 18 July 2012 - 12:05 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#50 kessywessy

kessywessy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Edler for sure.

#51 jonnycanuck46

jonnycanuck46

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

Ballard because they know the FLA system and each other well. Maybe their past experiences would help pull KB4 out of the muck and mire
Posted Image

Ephesians 2:7-9

"That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

#52 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,423 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Edler is great at murdering the puck. Now if only he could hit the net once in a while.

No doubt. He's too dumb to understand that you need to actually get the puck on the net, that is if your stick doesn't break.

Edited by Dogbyte, 18 July 2012 - 12:25 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#53 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Depends on what MG still has left up his sleeve regarding trades. I'd still rather see some balance with L/R pairings all the way through the depth chart rather than pairing 2 LH shooters together if he's partnered with Edler. If MG can make something relatively significant (meaning: trading Ballard) happen regarding a RH partner for Edler --- preferrably a puck-moving defenceman --- I'd have no problem with Garrison on the 3rd line with Tanev. Had my eye on Mike Green, but, I don't see that happening.

#54 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Eddie Eagle or Ballard.

If Tanev's ready (or Garrison slumps) I'd be willing to try Eddie - Tanev, Ballard - Garrison (Tanev and Ballard would be the puck moving guys and passers, whereas Eddie and Garrison provide the cannon for their passing mates to rack up assists. Either combo with Hamhuis, Garrison and Tanev all on separate units should provide the stability needed.)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#55 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Obviously Edler. No one else besides Hamhuis is good enough to cover his brutal defensive ability. Hamhuis is already covering Bieksa's terrible defensive ability.

Lol, our d sucks. Hopefully Garrison can turn that into a top notch line, with him they should have all the bases covered.

I would be very intrigued to see him with Ballard and think they might be awesome together but then were f'ed with Edler again. He has to play with him or AV is just stupid. Everyone else has proven they can't adapt their game to play with Edler.

Our D sucks? Get a clue. The Canucks were 4th in the league last year in GAA and don't say that was solely because of the goaltending because most people here also claim Luongo sucks.

The D as is, is very good. It's deep, mobile and offensively gifted. Also, Edler is not nearly as bad as you make him out to be. In reality, the guy is a defensive stud. The key is he's just not consistent yet, which explains some of the horrible games he has and his sub-par showing in the playoffs.

#56 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

I want to say Ballard as I want this year to justify his 4.2M salary but I assume he will end up with Eddie so..

Eddie - G52 even strength
Ballard -G52 on the PP
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#57 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,537 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Keith Ballard.

Edler first off, I think that's a pair we should try off the get go but I think if Garrison was put with Ballard it would be a great scenerio for both players. It would enable Keith to use his speed more and join the rush more like we have seen with Bieksa, and I think Ballard would really benefit, more so than Eddie.

zackass.png

#58 Jay86

Jay86

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Edler.....Garrisson sounds like the same player that edler is.. pair them up

#59 mperoni101

mperoni101

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Depends who plays RD and LD, but for Garrison to get his offensive potential it has to be a player with very good skating and passing skills, which i think is Edler. Campbell was the big reason for Garrison's one-timers.

#60 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Tanev seems to be developing into a realiable defensive defensemen. Since Garrison is more of a shut down guy, it might be more effective playing a shut down role with Tanev. He'll also be able to play the Left side. Tanev could compliment to Garrion's game by adding good mobility.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Tanev
Ballard-Edler

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.