The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is just a hunch, and speculation on my part, but I'm thinking the 30M over 4 years would be his asking price for an Eastern team, and might be a bit lower for one of the west coast teams. Probably not much lower, but I'd imagine he's willing to leave a bit on the table to not have to pack up his family and move them across the continent. Also that report is all second-hand info through David Shoalts, so I'm about...90% sure it's not accurate (there, that's my one and only Samjam joke out of my system)

The difference between the Sundin saga and this is the team proposed the large contract, and Mats gauged whether he wanted to be paid that amount. Doan's agent, meanwhile, has stated Shane would like a four-year deal, and teams must negotiate based on that length and amount now. I suspect teams will attempt to reduce the length to two or three years, but it is unlikely the contract length will be reduced to a single year.

I believe he will be signing a multi-year deal, regardless of where he decides to go.

Doan has price tag in mind:

Shane Doan may not have made up his mind about leaving the Phoenix Coyotes but he does know what he wants as the price of signing with a new NHL team.

A source familiar with Doan’s talks with other NHL teams said Friday the veteran forward, who is the only Coyotes player who was with the team when it moved to Arizona from Winnipeg in 1995, is asking for a total of $30-million (all currency U.S.) over four years. Considering that Doan will turn 36 in early October, that would be an expensive and risky proposition for a new employer, which may be why the Detroit Red Wings are reported to have dropped out of the running.

Doan, who became an unrestricted free agent July 1, and his agent Terry Bross are waiting to hear from prospective Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison before making a decision to negotiate with other teams. Bross said earlier this week if Jamison had not offered assurances by Friday he can buy the Coyotes from the NHL they would probably look at the many offers that came in from other teams.

Last season, Doan made $4.55-million in the final year of his contract with the Coyotes but that is considered to be a hometown discount. The Coyotes captain, who had 50 points last season, does not want to change teams but is finally considering it because of the uncertain future of the team.

There are teams willing to pay Doan between $7-million and $7.5-million because of his leadership and two-way play but only for one or perhaps two years. However, the source said there will probably be at least one team willing to meet his demands.

Among the teams chasing Doan are the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Nashville Predators, Montreal Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/doan-has-price-tag-in-mind/article4445102/?cmpid=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan, an unrestricted free agent, will reportedly meet with potential new team owner Greg Jamison on Friday.

The Arizona Republic reports Doan and his agent, Terry Bross, are looking for some positive news from former San Jose Sharks owner Jamison's ownership bid of the financially struggling franchise. If progress isn't being made to seal the purchase of the Coyotes, Doan will start negotiating with other NHL teams.

"We're expecting some type of announcement or debriefing [Friday] regarding the ownership group, and hopefully we get good news and [General Manager] Don [Maloney] and I can start putting pencil to paper," said Bross. "If we don't, I think we're going to start to negotiate with some of the other clubs."

The 35-year-old right winger is one of the last highly sought after free agents available on the market.

"I say there are three or four [teams] that he's very serious about," Bross said. "There's probably two more that he has a lot of interest in."

Teams interested in his services include the New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers and Montreal Canadiens. But Doan's first choice is to remain with the Coyotes.

"It's time to fish or cut bait," Bross said. "All the obstacles are out of the way, so I can't hold these teams off forever. They have franchises to run, and they need to make moves for their clubs as well. I don't think it's fair to Shane or the other clubs that might be interested to continue to drag this out."

The NHL has owned the Coyotes since September 2009 when then owner Jerry Moyes put the team into bankruptcy after suffering massive losses. In bankruptcy court, the NHL emerged as the new owner, but has been unable to find a suitable successor.

Are you high? He is paid that much because he is worth that much. Captain in Phoenix, big body, goes to dirty areas, good leader, and is willing stand up for teammates. Yes, 7.5m for 4 years would be an overpayment but I would be running if we got him for 6m for 3 years.

He adds so much to the team and our window is right now. He is exactly what we need.

Anyone else notice lately that when it comes to rumors, Eklund never seems to mention the Canucks when he blogs about the Doan situation... meanwhile, pretty much everyone else (from mainstream media sources like TSN to the horde of "insider" Twits out there) all have the Canucks on their radar as one of the favorites to land him?

Not that it matters one bit what Eklund says, but it still amuses me a bit.

That FAD these days seems to be Smaller cap hit with larger signing bonus....

with a 5M aav, for 4 years = 20M + signing bonus.

1st year - 5M aav + 3M signing bonus

2nd year - 5M aav + 2M signing bonus

3rd year - 5M aav + 1M signing bonus

4th year - 5M aav

OR SOMTHING LIKE THAT.

crap or even

1M aav over 4 years + 5 M signing bonus.?

And he should. As much as I like what Doan would bring to the team, that is too much money and too long in term. The highest I would go is 4 yrs @ 5 mil or 3yrs @ 6 mil.

That price tag has "Flyers" written all over it and Homer is welcome to him if he wants to pay that price. I just hope Snider realizes how bad it's going to look on him if he decides to play hard ball with the PA during the new CBA negotiations.

If that report is true, Gillis might as well start taking a serious look at Arnie...

I would take a 1 year 3.0 Mill run @ Arnott, if his body @ 37 can keep up to the rigours of the Canucks travel schedule, I think he could put similar numbers to what Doan could here, and it would only be 1 year, no stupid term at a high cap hit.

Im in agreement with the above statements. Doan is an ideal fit here imo, but at that cost and term, and without knowing the ramifications of the next cba, the numbers being thrown out there could potentially handicap the Canucks for a few years. Would there still be enough to re-sign the likes of Burrows and Edler?? idk bout that.

Id back out after 3 years and 18 million. And thats a stretch for a player of his age and calibre.

Archived