The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm not seeing a ton of chatter about Doan and the Rangers though........just your opinion? Personally, if I were a small town Western guy, moving my family to the hustle and bustle of NYC wouldn't really appeal to me........not to mention across the continent from family and friends......

though I will say playing for an Eastern team gives him a lot more time at home.........however, he'd still be gone a lot and he'd be isolating his wife and kids from friends and family on the other side of the continent

You guys are ridiculous, kassian is gonna have a much bigger role than just 4th line duties, Gillis has mentioned this recently, he's a young kid with size and skill. You are all the same people whining about kesler not being able to playmake, well this is the only option we have to put a playmaker on that line, and who are you to say the Sedins can't be split? Henrik racked up a ridiculous amount of points when Daniel went down and went on to be MVP. Furthermore, booth and kesler have not shown any chemistry and are too alike in playing styles (shoot first) and neither guy is suited for a bottom 6 role. Just because these lines don't align with your own status quo thinking, doesn't mean they're any less better than the stuff you come up with, like really? Booth kesler Doan? Who exactly is going to pass the puck on that line? Although sedins and burrows is proven, it wouldn't HURT to just try out kassian in the top 6 to see what we have or split the sedins to give the second line some playmaking. The lines you guys throw up look good on paper cause they're all great top 6 players, but analyze playing styles and take a deeper look at things and you'll see that booth kesler Doan may not be the best options together. Thinking differently and outside the box isn't a bad thing once in a while, probably smoking much less than you guys lol

I just think that as he already spends alot of offseason time in BC a chance at living it up with the family in NYC could be something the Doans would consider, given that it would only be for a few years. The Doans don't need to be sold on BC as they all know what it's like, and yes a great place to live; however so is NYC and if for only a few years, why not go for the experience of a lifetime that they otherwise would probably never consider or have an opportunity at. BC & PHX ranch in the offseason and for holidays, but for work and school, NYC. Best of both worlds is it not? For a Canuck fan probably not what someone wants to hear though.

You are aware that Doan has 197 assists in his last 393 games played (good for 41 assists per 82 games), right? How many assists did Kesler have in '09-'10 when he wasn't even on the #1 PP unit with the twins, 50 was it? He has 142 assists in his last 323 games played (good for 36a per 82 games played).

That 30-40 assists per player average is technically top end 2nd line assist production, borderline 1st line production, in this league:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLFAFALL&viewName=assists&sort=assists&pg=3

The #61 through #90 forwards ranked by assists averaged 31.1 assists in 73.7 games played and 90 forwards is basically the cut off for 1st liners (3 forwards on a line multiplied by 30 teams).

Here are the #61 through #90 forwards, ranked by assists, for the previous four years:

'10-'11: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLFAFALL&viewName=assists&sort=assists&pg=3

'09-'10: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20102ALLFAFALL&viewName=assists&sort=assists&pg=3

'08-'09: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20092ALLFAFALL&viewName=assists&sort=assists&pg=3

'07-'08: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20082ALLFAFALL&viewName=assists&sort=assists&pg=3

Kesler was #60 in '10-'11, #12 in '09-'10, and #69 in '08-'09. Doan was #31 in '10-'11, #50 in '09-'10, #32 in '08-'09 and #16 in '07-'08. These guys can pass when playing with good players. Both Doan and Kesler just barely missed being top 90 in assists this last year but going 7 for 10 is pretty frickin' good for two guys you don't seem to think know how to pass...

It's kinda funny, after we lose the Cup to the Bruins in 7 games people were screaming for Gillis to get a powerforward to play with Kesler and help him out but now that Gillis traded for Booth people think the problem with Kesler is the lack of a playmaker on the line.

In reality, Booth is just supposed to be a grittier version of Mason Raymond for us (ie, offensive upgrade) not the powerforward everyone was clamoring for after June 2011. Kesler is not an easy player to play with and he's not the type that sneaks himself into soft spots in a defense's coverage so I think a legit playmaker like Tanguay would only be frustrated with Kesler's style of play. Kesler's a guy that would benefit most from players that can create space out there for the extra room to skate. I think a Higgins-Kesler-Doan line would free up a ton of space for Kesler and that's when he's most effective, imo.

You allude to seasons from many years ago, and hundreds of games that date back MANY seasons to create your argument, the only reason your averages of assists per year are that high is because you go back so far, if you want to use this logic, cheechoo's average goal production dating back to his 50 goal season would look GREAT compared to what he actually is, you use terrible logic. It's not HARD to see that kesler is NOT a pass first center, Doan is NOT known as a playmaker, and Booth is a shoot first winger, it really only takes ONE RECENT game of watching these players to realize this. Whereas some of the guys may have had greater assist number in the past, it's not the players they were last season, which is the most recent indicator of what we can expect this season. You fail to prove your point that these guys can CURRENTLY playmake if they were on a line with each other, and you don't have anything to say about the other dozen points I was trying to make?

I would love Doan here but he either belongs with the Sedins, or in another jumbled up version of top 6, not with kesler and booth.

Kesler has had 59 assists in the last two seasons, and Doan has had 68 assists in the last two seasons. That's still 30a per year and just this past season Doan was #93 & Kesler was #104 in assists (#91-#120 is the 1st tier of 2nd liners). I'm not stating Doans mid-20s stats or anything.

Edit:

No, I thought that was obvious when I chose to highlight the portion of your post I was addressing.

You guys are ridiculous, kassian is gonna have a much bigger role than just 4th line duties, Gillis has mentioned this recently, he's a young kid with size and skill. You are all the same people whining about kesler not being able to playmake, well this is the only option we have to put a playmaker on that line, and who are you to say the Sedins can't be split? Henrik racked up a ridiculous amount of points when Daniel went down and went on to be MVP. Furthermore, booth and kesler have not shown any chemistry and are too alike in playing styles (shoot first) and neither guy is suited for a bottom 6 role. Just because these lines don't align with your own status quo thinking, doesn't mean they're any less better than the stuff you come up with, like really? Booth kesler Doan? Who exactly is going to pass the puck on that line? Although sedins and burrows is proven, it wouldn't HURT to just try out kassian in the top 6 to see what we have or split the sedins to give the second line some playmaking. The lines you guys throw up look good on paper cause they're all great top 6 players, but analyze playing styles and take a deeper look at things and you'll see that booth kesler Doan may not be the best options together. Thinking differently and outside the box isn't a bad thing once in a while, probably smoking much less than you guys lol

Again, using your logic, which alludes to two seasons ago now, your logic would display that their assists are declining, which would mean what for next year? no matter how you want to dice it, it's flawed. You keep mentioning these 90-120 in the league stats but how impressive are those really? #90?! Id like to match these assist totals for the second line to the Stanley cup champs and see how they stack up, cause at the end of the day, all that matters is winning that cup. I hardly think 28, 27, and 13 assists from these players last year would add to a Stanley cup winning second line. Why are you so against diversifying and trying something new? I really don't think a D Sedin - Kesler - Doan line would be bad.

Kesler is declining? He's just now entering his prime and had a rough year injury wise. Doan has had Ray Whitney and who else to play with?

As per your request in bold:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20112012&gameType=2&team=LAK&position=F&country=&status=&viewName=assists

Kesler's 27a in an off year (he averages 30a) was equal to Richards' assist totals. Shane Doan had almost as good of stats as Dustin Brown, who's a 1st liner in LA and some would go as far as saying that he's mooching points off of Kopitar.

However, since I've been talking about the last two to five years, here are Boston's assist #s from '10-'11:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20102011&gameType=2&team=BOS&position=F&country=&status=&viewName=assists

Kesler & Doan would be right in there as 1st line assist guys.

'09-'10 Blackhawks:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20092010&gameType=2&team=CHI&position=F&country=&status=&viewName=assists

Kesler's 50a were good for #2 on the 'Hawks. Doan's 37a would've been #4.

'08-'09 Penguins:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20082009&gameType=2&team=PIT&position=F&country=&status=&viewName=assists

Kesler's 33a would've been #3 on the Pens, ditto for Doan's 42a.

'07-'08 Red Wings:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20072008&gameType=2&team=DET&position=F&country=&status=&viewName=assists

Doan's 50a was 1a more than Zetterberg's 49a and Kesler hadn't broken out yet.

Archived