The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone keep throwing the 4-year 30M tag out there? It's been refuted. Terry Bross, Doan's agent, has said there is no truth to that whatsoever. They are not looking for that, Doan wants a chance at a cup, and a good situation for his family not a huge contract.  An agent doesn't come out and say that, if they are looking for the money.

I just can't see Gillis signing Doan until he moves the Luongo contract. If not, Luongo becomes a cap dump in the eyes of many people. Whether thats right or wrong, GM's will use that as leverage. Even if Kesler is on LTIR to start, they know when he comes back, we need to comply with the cap.

Argh, yeah, it's driving me nuts (said the pirate w/ the steering wheel on his fly..). They even had the Bross quote running in their updates this week refuting it, and yet Mclutchey (sp?) and that idiot Sekeres keep going on about how it's too much. You'd think a program director or manager or something would set them straight, but no they just let them keep going on and on about it.

Argh, yeah, it's driving me nuts (said the pirate w/ the steering wheel on his fly..). They even had the Bross quote running in their updates this week refuting it, and yet Mclutchey (sp?) and that idiot Sekeres keep going on about how it's too much. You'd think a program director or manager or something would set them straight, but no they just let them keep going on and on about it.

Don't you guys find it interesting that Doan's wife was also having dinner with the Canucks brass?

Talking about family matters too and I don't know if she was involved in the meetings with the Flyers, Rangers but I see it as a plus that she was having dinner with Gillis, Gilman and Aquilini.

Don't you guys find it interesting that Doan's wife was also having dinner with the Canucks brass?

Talking about family matters too and I don't know if she was involved in the meetings with the Flyers, Rangers but I see it as a plus that she was having dinner with Gillis, Gilman and Aquilini.

I think he and his family are probably looking at this as a chance of a lifetime (playing in NYC); where the kids could still goto good schools (and later some good NY colleges/universities), and for only a few years of sacrifice away from PHX, they could always just travel back to their ranch for family holidays and the offseason. I think the family aspect and the Doans relocating to the big Apple is probably very very appealing to them all.

Perhaps BC is regarded for a lot of players simply a nice place to spend a vacation in, or even later on retire to. Like Gillis once said, just cause they (the players) are from BC doesn't mean they'll play for the Canucks. My gut feeling, is if the Doans don't stay in PHX, Shane will sign for ridiculous amount of overpayment with an Eastern team (NYR) for the chance of his family living out a very nice next few years of a life...perhaps they want a real change if it requires moving as a whole family--which NYC could provide this for sure. Nothing wrong with that, just not feeling it...that Doan will be in a Canuck uniform anytime soon.

Unless of course Gillis is able to sign Doan to a cap hit that can be absorbed even with Luongo's on the books, then Gillis has ALL of the leverage in the Luongo deal. "Hey guys, I already have Doan on the books and I'm still under the cap. Pony up if you want Luongo".

We have as I type, a hair under 2.432 in cap space. Let's say Gillis cap dumps Ballard (which would be the correct cap dump), that opens up about 6.6m in cap space. Sign Doan to a 5m cap hit, leaving roughly 1.6m in cap space. And that's not even taking into account moving Luongo off the books, or waiving Alberts (another 1.225m). Gillis could in effect end up with Doan on this roster and have in excess of 8m in cap space with the only holes needing to be filled being bottom pairing + depth D and a back up goaltender.

Here's the scenario as I see it unfolding, after Doan and dumping Ballard and signing depth + a backup we have a surplus of cap space ($5m). (Disclaimer: The names might not be right, but I think the numbers would be about right). This doesn't even take into account Kesler potentially not being in the lineup for the first bit of the season.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Kurtis Foster ($2.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Scott Hannan ($1.200m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Cristobal Huet ($1.200m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,195,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,005,000

I wonder why Canucks still have Gilman on payroll? He was supposed to be a Cap Geek. And now everyone and their dog can go to capgeek.com and pretend that they are experts.

How many times MG said to media - stop worrying about the cap, we got it covered ...

I wonder why Canucks still have Gilman on payroll? He was supposed to be a Cap Geek. And now everyone and their dog can go to capgeek.com and pretend that they are experts.

How many times MG said to media - stop worrying about the cap, we got it covered ...

NYC is NOT a place to raise four young little girls. Manhattan is a city of adults making money. You must make $100,000/ yr to raise one child in Manhattan. Not that this is a problem for Doan but there is really nothing to do for young kids in Manhattan. It's not like they can tell dad they're going to go for a stroll in Central Park; they'll never come back. Either they'll be lost or kidnapped.

There are barely any kids in Manhattan. There are of course elementary schools, hoghschools and so on but kids dont just run around. Not like in Vancouver, Montreal, Phoenix, even Toronto. The kids I saw there were mostly out of town tourists with lost parents clinging to their infant and rightly so.

I went there with a buddy of mine in winter nonetheless and one second he was there, the next second he wasnt. Of course, we have iPhones and I found him again. Just to say that in Manhattan, you don't just do anything you want comfortably and free of worry, especially raising kids.

If Doan has four young daughters, Doan is a family man. If Doan is a family man, Vancouver is much higher on his list then Manhattan is.

Gilman doesn't ONLY do capology (yes I just made that word up probably). He is the assistant GM.

That being said, he is also a lawyer, and understands the intricacies of the salary cap much better than we do. I am sure there clauses in the CBA that he's managed to work around. A good example was a couple years ago when Edler had back surgery and they timed it perfectly with Salo's return.

Archived