The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't buy this idea that the league could turn around and drop the salary cap by 13-20 million - it makes absolutely no sense, and would force a restructuring of half the teams in the NHL, a wave of salary dumping, and a complete disruption to the most powerful teams in the NHL - Boston, New York, LA, Vancouver, etc would all be seriously undermined, and their talent thinned out - not to mention that the behaviour of teams on the UFA market have clearly indicated that no one anticipates this happening - if I were betting, I'd put my money on not going to happen.

I'd like to say this is absolutely, categorically false. Just recently I suggested Gillis wouldn't sign Schneider for more than $3.25m when Jimmy Howard signed a two-year/$4.5m deal. Gillis went out and gave him $4m.

I may be right more often than not but that's about it. I'm just making educated guesses for the most part.

I don't buy this idea that the league could turn around and drop the salary cap by 13-20 million - it makes absolutely no sense, and would force a restructuring of half the teams in the NHL, a wave of salary dumping, and a complete disruption to the most powerful teams in the NHL - Boston, New York, LA, Vancouver, etc would all be seriously undermined, and their talent thinned out - not to mention that the behaviour of teams on the UFA market have clearly indicated that no one anticipates this happening - if I were betting, I'd put my money on not going to happen.

did you miss the part about the 20-25% salary rollback, which is exactly what happened last time? what that means is that every single existing nhl contract has its value (and therefore cap hit) reduced by that percentage. in other words, the sedins would be making ~$4.5 million per year instead of $6.1 million and so on.

That sounds good but how do you get that past the courts? Teams sign player contracts with all sorts of clauses. The idea that a signed contract could arbitrarily have the payment reduced seems like a lawsuit a comin. If the CAP was reduced team payrolls would have to be reduced by moving players off the roster. There could be some high priced help playing their contracts out in the AHL. That could be possible if the NHL allowed teams to do so.

the nhlpa agrees to it during collective bargaining. do you people not remember last time? the nhl proposed a hard cap, the nhlpa counter offered a 24% salary rollback, and when all was said and done the nhl got both. the players agreed to it then and if they want to play hockey in the near future they'll likely have to agree to it again.

the salary cap is going to start going up much, much more slowly when the players' percentage of revenue goes down significantly in the new cba, and as the league's ability to find new revenue streams starts to reach a point of diminishing returns.

i'd expect we'll see a 20-25% salary rollback and a salary cap of $50-57 million when the new cba comes into effect, and it will rise much more slowly than it has over the last 8 years.

You never know, he might of changed his mind at the last minute. If I was Doan I would pick Vancouver though.

According to Jesse Spector of the Sporting News, he does have the option to sign a 1 year deal:

Shane Doan became a free agent on July 1. He determined that he would not make a decision on whether to leave the Phoenix Coyotes until July 9. When that came and went, Doan's new deadline for a decision was July 16. Then it was July 27, with Doan saying he wanted to make a decision quickly so that he could get his family settled for his kids to start the school year.

Here it is, August, and Doan still is a man without a contract. If he really wanted to leave the Coyotes, he would have done so by now. It is clear that the 35-year-old winger wants to stay in Phoenix, where he has played ever since the Coyotes moved from Winnipeg. So, why doesn't he?

Doan wants a multiyear deal, reportedly in the range of four years and $30 million. There's little doubt that he would be able to get it. But if he does not want to leave Phoenix, he has an option, even with the future of the Coyotes in doubt: sign a one-year contract.

Even if the sale of the Coyotes to Greg Jamison falls through, there is no way that the NHL would be able to relocate the franchise on such short notice, especially with everything else on the league's plate. If Doan wants to stay in Phoenix, and his continued extension of deadlines is a clear indication of his desires, then he should do what he wants. Nobody is stopping him. Give it another go with Mike Smith, Keith Yandle and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. If Doan wants to play for a contender, a team that just went to the Western Conference finals isn't a bad choice.

Would it be a gamble for Doan to leave money on the table now? He'd run the risk of injury, but it isn't as if he'd be hurt by CBA changes—at 36 next summer, Doan would qualify for unrestricted free agency even by the league's proposed 10-year standard, and it's not as if he would be looking for a decade-long deal.

There also is the chance that Doan could make more money by signing a one-year deal now, then going for a three or four-year deal next summer, with the Coyotes or otherwise. If Alex Semin can get $7 million from the Hurricanes on a one-year deal, why can't Doan get $8 million from Phoenix, especially considering that the Coyotes need to spend about that much to reach the (current CBA's) salary floor?

Doan made $22.75 million over the past five years with the Coyotes. Shouldn't that give him the security to make a decision that will make him happy?

http://aol.sportingn...urgh-penguins-1

First, in 8 years its gone up 180%... how does 750% in the following 12 make any sense...

Now you're just assuming, In 2005 did we really think that the cap would have gone to 70+ million this fast? You have no idea what kind of cap were looking at in the following years. History dictates... it rises, quickly; and right now history is all we have as a way of making any sort of educated guess what so ever.

Also, those examples you gave were PRE salary cap... so those dont make any relevant case to your argument what so ever. Salarys like those are the reason why there's a salary cap to begin with.

St. Louis was 29, he had just come off a season winning the Art Ross. You seriously believe that had someone like that, in those circumstances been a UFA this off season, he would have yielded 5.25 mil per year the exact same as David Krejci? If you think so, then we cant even have this discussion because you aren't using logic or any basic fundamentals of economics.

You never know, he might of changed his mind at the last minute. If I was Doan I would pick Vancouver though.

According to Jesse Spector of the Sporting News, he does have the option to sign a 1 year deal:

Shane Doan became a free agent on July 1. He determined that he would not make a decision on whether to leave the Phoenix Coyotes until July 9. When that came and went, Doan's new deadline for a decision was July 16. Then it was July 27, with Doan saying he wanted to make a decision quickly so that he could get his family settled for his kids to start the school year.

Here it is, August, and Doan still is a man without a contract. If he really wanted to leave the Coyotes, he would have done so by now. It is clear that the 35-year-old winger wants to stay in Phoenix, where he has played ever since the Coyotes moved from Winnipeg. So, why doesn't he?

Doan wants a multiyear deal, reportedly in the range of four years and $30 million. There's little doubt that he would be able to get it. But if he does not want to leave Phoenix, he has an option, even with the future of the Coyotes in doubt: sign a one-year contract.

Even if the sale of the Coyotes to Greg Jamison falls through, there is no way that the NHL would be able to relocate the franchise on such short notice, especially with everything else on the league's plate. If Doan wants to stay in Phoenix, and his continued extension of deadlines is a clear indication of his desires, then he should do what he wants. Nobody is stopping him. Give it another go with Mike Smith, Keith Yandle and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. If Doan wants to play for a contender, a team that just went to the Western Conference finals isn't a bad choice.

Would it be a gamble for Doan to leave money on the table now? He'd run the risk of injury, but it isn't as if he'd be hurt by CBA changes—at 36 next summer, Doan would qualify for unrestricted free agency even by the league's proposed 10-year standard, and it's not as if he would be looking for a decade-long deal.

There also is the chance that Doan could make more money by signing a one-year deal now, then going for a three or four-year deal next summer, with the Coyotes or otherwise. If Alex Semin can get $7 million from the Hurricanes on a one-year deal, why can't Doan get $8 million from Phoenix, especially considering that the Coyotes need to spend about that much to reach the (current CBA's) salary floor?

Doan made $22.75 million over the past five years with the Coyotes. Shouldn't that give him the security to make a decision that will make him happy?

http://aol.sportingn...urgh-penguins-1

Have you actually watched Doana play much? .. he is going to "protect" the Sedins? .. that is a funny one .. he is like the cowardly lion .. won't even defend himself unless he is cornered or the other player is like one of the Sedins .. :picard:

Archived