The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Also I hope he is coming here, I think he would be a great addition to the top 6. With Kesler on LTIR to start the year, they know they'll have lots of cap space at the fingertips for some months before they are forced into any kind of move, so signing him is not a problem for their cap.

Was a little off topic that last post.

My faith in us getting Doan, is going down every day.

That article on Nhl.com, took me back to reality though. We are still a far shot at landing him.

He wants to be in Phoenix, and will give them every single opportunity to keep him.

This will be drawn out for a long time, until he finally signs in Phoenix.

Unfortunately thats the most likely situation. Im not going to remain optimistic anymore, maybe just a little hopeful.

Good rant though. What baffles me, and yes I do have to put myself in the player's shoes, is exactly what responsibility do they have for the owner's financial well being? If I accept a nice contract, for any job, do I feel responsible for the profitability of the employer? I certainly don't think very hard on that subject at my job.

Now I understand Unions and all this, but it starts to baffle the mind when we start talking about the maximum wage issues. Most unions are primarily concerned with the minimum wage issues, if I understand anything at all. Negotiations turned on their head like this must feel rather awkward. You might ask yourself "So my boss is telling me he can't pay me what he offered me, even though this contract was just offered to me?"

Ultimately I don't think the players will provide the solution to the owner's problems if the ownership continues to so freely hand out the types of contracts being seen.

That article on Nhl.com, took me back to reality though. We are still a far shot at landing him.

He wants to be in Phoenix, and will give them every single opportunity to keep him.

Unfortunately thats the most likely situation. Im not going to remain optimistic anymore, maybe just a little hopeful.

For the 2005-2006 season, player salaries league wide totaled just north of $1 billion at $1,024,006,867 vs revenues just south of 1.8 billion. That's a 56.89% share.

For the 2011-2012 season that just passed, league revenues were a reported $3.1 billion, with league wide salaries being reported as $1,765,884,994, roughly 56.96%.

That's only a 0.07% increase in 7 years, but that 0.07% increase has resulted in an average pay bump of just over a million bucks per player. I know I'm completely over generalizing the situation, but that just gives an overview of what they're dealing with. Salary spending has remained constant, it's just a much bigger pie they're now consuming.

If you look at those numbers, it's apparent that the club owners are not benefiting from the situation and why shouldn't they? They're the ones investing their money to run an organization. It's not just player salaries they have to pay, there are arena leases, organizational salaries, travel, accommodations, meals, medical services, and let's not forget at the end of the day this is a business; as such they need to be able to run a profit at the end of the year otherwise what's the point?

The owners SHOULD be taking in the majority of the revenues, players should cease to be so greedy. On top of their ridiculous salaries, EVERYTHING club related is paid for, not to mention a lot of players receive endorsement deals. If these owners did not invest the money that they are, the players wouldn't have a league to play in.

I know the chicken and the egg argument can be an endless tug of war of logic, but it has to start somewhere. Without the owners, there are no teams. Without teams there is no league, in the end all you would really have are groupings of regional bush leagues and no elite level talent.

Everything exists because there is an ultimate goal; make the NHL and play in the best league in the world. It's why the grass root movement happened, it's why there are elite junior and college level development leagues, it's why there is a professional league a tier below the NHL.

My point to all of this, is if the players share of revenues (from which the cap floor and ceiling are derived) is reduced, player salaries will be equally reduced so that current salaries are in line with the cap. Moving forward the poster to whom you responded was correct, the cap will increase at a much less torrid pace.

The players should be mindful that they are part of an elite percentage of the population, being paid to play a sport and have the luxury of retiring before they are 40.

Before you say "well they take an incredible amount of punishment during their short lived careers" I will say this, with the advancement of physical fitness, training, awareness and medical technology, players bodies are in way better shape now than they ever were.

When their playing careers end, they don't simply stop working they continue on. They still make money, whether that be from investments, taking advantage of their education, business ownership etc.

Edit* Holy crap, I didn't mean to go on a rant, but I just don't see how the players can claim (I'm not sure that it's been publicly expressed, but certainly the sentiment is there) that they feel they don't need to leave a lot of money on the table this go around.

did you miss the part about the 20-25% salary rollback, which is exactly what happened last time? what that means is that every single existing nhl contract has its value (and therefore cap hit) reduced by that percentage. in other words, the sedins would be making ~$4.5 million per year instead of $6.1 million and so on.

Thats cuz the mods insist on having 1 god damn thread for the broadest of subjects, you get 1000 frackin replies and its ???? impossible to read anything or get any information. This forum is mostly a joke, full of idiots that don't know hockey from their ass.

Thats cuz the mods insist on having 1 god damn thread for the broadest of subjects, you get 1000 frackin replies and its ???? impossible to read anything or get any information. This forum is mostly a joke, full of idiots that don't know hockey from their ass.

If fans wonder why Gary Bettman has such a lock on the NHL owners just look at the revenue growth. I remember when league revenue was $1.3 billion. $1.8 billion when the last CBA was signed and now over $3 billion. I suspect ownership never thought revenue would grow that fast.

When fans criticise ownership for being greedy by wanting to cut the players share they should consider the escalating cost of operations other than salaries. Even from the salary perspective teams find themselves in a catch 22. To have box office success they must win and to win they must spend to the max to get quality players. I would be very curious to see the ROI for the various teams.

I really thought that Doan would make his decision this week. If he does not then it doesn't look good for Van. Gillis has to know as it impacts the Louongo deal.

Archived