The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

when the canucks threw cash at sundin they had tons of cap space and nothing else to spend it on. it was also two years max. sundin was also twice the player doan is. and finally, at that time, gillis was still a new gm looking to make a big splash and believed that landing sundin would brand vancouver as a destination market for free agents.

the situations are apples and oranges.

people are really overrating shane doan because of how shallow free agency was this year. the guy put up 50 points getting top line minutes and playing on the first powerplay unit, spending all his time with ray whitney. if he plays on the canucks second line he'll get 50 points or (more likely) less because there's nobody on that line to get him the puck and there's a general lack of chemistry because kesler is the angry kid that never learned to share his toys. people also assume he'd mesh perfectly with the sedins, but they're forgetting that in the twins' 10 years in the league there have only been two players able to do that, one of whom plays with them now.

when the canucks threw cash at sundin they had tons of cap space and nothing else to spend it on. it was also two years max. sundin was also twice the player doan is. and finally, at that time, gillis was still a new gm looking to make a big splash and believed that landing sundin would brand vancouver as a destination market for free agents.

the situations are apples and oranges.

Twice the player? In which way? Because he was a better point producer? I live in T.O and have watched Sundin play here for many years and despite his fantastic skill and point production he was never really a true leader imo. Sure he lead by example on the ice, but T.O fans and media complained for years that he wasn't vocal enough in the dressing room. Maybe that changed when he went to Vancouver I don't know, but these two athletes play different styles as well. Doan being the gritty crash and bang, in the corners, in your face, skilled, and stick up for your teamates type of player whom leads by example on and off the ice. Sundin being the more finesse, highly skilled, game changing, whom dictates the play type of player that leads by example on the ice. Both are great players, but I really believe Doan is a better overall leader.

leadership is rivaled only by class as the most overused term by fans and media who have absolutely no basis for an opinion on the subject since they aren't in the dressing room with these guys during the games.

Doan's waiting pretty long. He must be confident that the season will start late, since he's been at the CBA talks.

Ideally a player would want to get everything set well in advance to the start of camp.

Hopefully he decides soon, so the teams involved can begin making decisions.

Nucks should move on and get the chemistry for the 2012/13 season started in the offseason. Lu and Doan saga wasting time, bandwith, and will most likely not amount to anything, except for the distraction it will create when training camp opens. I say get on with it, trade for another power forward and get the boys focussed before the starting blocks. I'm a city planner and I need to start the parade route asap.

ps. can a mod pin this thread? I think it deserves pinning as we near the 50 page milestone.

If Van is Doan's Plan B vs PHX as Plan A then waiting isn't as big a deal as a possible move to the NYR or PITT. His family knows the province and already has a comfort level. That said I still think a deal is announced this week.

Archived