The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why would he sign with the Preds when they just lost half of the best top pairing in the leauge. Also the Preds aren't a cap team....

If he wants 4 years I would not even CONSIDER anything over 4-4.5 million a season. Either way I want this to end, its been over a month, sign already and move on.

Still, he's a far better scrapper than Burrows... Besides, it doesn't always take 8-10 punches to give someone a concussion. One imperfect connection with the jaw is all it takes sometimes (not unlike Jamie Benn running into a glancing elbow from Doan in an earlier video in this thread) and the odds that Doan connects on a haymaker is 2-3x as likely as Burrows.

I see, so you don't think he could produce exactly what Jason Arnott could do at 37 at the age of 38 in spite of being known as one of the highest conditioned atheletes in the league.

People said Gary Roberts was done after what was it, a broken neck, in '96 at age 30? The guy had ten years of success after that because he knew how to take care of himself both nutritionally and in terms of physical fitness. From age 36 to 40 he had 88g 98a 186pts in 282gp, good for a .66 pts/game production rate (aka 54pts per 82gp) on top of averaging well over a hit per game (NHL.com has sporadic RTSS for those years) and 11 fights, including three fights at the age of 40. Interestingly enough he also had several years of "only" 1 fight per season and yet he was still a feared powerforward even at that age...

The only knock on Roberts was the ability to stay healthy but that problem started way before age 35 and the ability to stay healthy and play a full season has never been an issue for Doan.

Are you honestly suggesting that the well publicized reports of there being "significant mutual interest", that both sides have voiced, are inaccurate? There was reportedly an offer submitted to Doan weeks ago and it was quality enough for Doan to meet with Canucks brass in person just a few days ago. Now you're just in denial if you don't think Gillis & Gillman really want this player since typically GMs who aren't seriously interested in signing a certain player don't end up sitting down with them in person after submitting a formal offer. You take the 4-year/$30m as gospel but don't accept the reports of significant interest. Odd.

So if that's the case, and Doan will only sign a 4-year offer, why is Doan showing up in Vancouver for a follow-up meeting? Either Gillis has tabled a 3-4 year offer or Doan is still interested in signing in Vancouver even if it's only a 2-year deal.

Yeah, but the current CBA (under which this contract would be signed) states that you can't be earning less than 50% of your salary from the previous year so the best that a 4-year/$24m deal could look like would be $10m, $8m, $4m, $2m or $12m, $6.75m, $3.5m, $1.75m.

Incidentally, Kassian has two years left on his ELC so another one to two year deal to prove himself after that puts himself in a perfection situation to pick up the offensive slack left over from Doan's "expected" decline and earn himself Doan's cap hit once Doan hits free agency or is traded after year three to retire .

1) Example? Luongo has always talked about how he wants to do what's best for the team, and he respected AV's decision to put in Schneider for 3 games.

2) Ur #2 point was already addressed in #1 so I'm assuming u just put it in there to make ur list look bigger.

3) He didn't ask out because of 3 games on the bench. In fact, it's uncertain whether he actually wants to leave or not. He simply said he'd waive his NTC. And the reason he said this is because he wants to do what's best for the team and he realizes that Schneider might be a better fit in Vancouver than he himself.

4) He's not reportedly steering anything. It's Gillis who's been talking with these teams because those teams are reportedly looking for a goalie. The only thing he's steering is that he wouldn't mind returning to Florida because his family lives there.

5) Think about what happens when u move ur family because of your job. When I was a kid my dad moved us from Vancouver to San Jose and i absolutely HATED it. I pretty much had my life set and then i had to get used to a whole new environment. Luongo has kids too. I'm pretty sure he must've talked to his family about everything before deciding that he wouldn't make them move to Vancouver.

6) Explain how his production has dropped "dramatically" in any way. In Luongo's career regular season stats he has only gone 1 year with a save % of under .913. That season was his rookie season with the Islanders. If you think about it, that's consistency at its finest. Don't bother bringing up playoffs. He was fairly inexperienced when he came from the Panthers to the Canucks. Yes he did amazing in his first postseason but there's a such thing called "beginner's luck". Something Steve Mason and Andrew Raycroft proved to have and Schneider could too. The risk with young goaltenders is pretty high. in '09 and '10 the Blackhawks exposed his inexperience with their huge offensive powers. In 2011 Luongo literally carried the team to the finals. Sure he may have almost allowed the Blackhawks to come back, but in Game 7 he was the reason we won the series and kept us alive in OT. In the Boston series, we only scored 8 goals in 7 games. Even if Luongo played at his best in every single game, we were likely to have lost. 2 of our wins that series came from shutouts. Again, all Lu right there. Last year he allowed 7 goals in 2 games. In Game 1 he was the only player that showed up. Game 2 is debatable. But we only score 2 goals both those games. The only game we won was the game we scored 3 goals. So by that logic Schneider didn't do much better to help win.

7) That contract is actually pretty good compared to Parise, Suter, DiPietro, Bryzgalov, Nash, Crosby, Rinne, and many more for the level he is capable of playing at.

8) Not play the last few years and still get the big bucks? Uhh in case u didn't realize, Luongo played 54+ games in all his years with the Canucks. If by "not play" you mean underperform, I already addressed that in #6.

9) Again, it wasn't a trade request. It was a "I'll do it if u ask me to" thing. The only way his trade value lowered is because of the signing of Schneider implying Luongo MUST be traded. That was Gillis's fault.

10) You repeated the same point twice again. You seem desperate to make ur list longer and it's hard for me to take you seriously. But I'm not tired of repeating myself cuz I'm a great guy like that. He was not pissed off because he didn't get to play 3 games. By that logic, he'd be pissed off cuz he didn't get to play 82 games every season. Ur just speculating that the reason he wants to leave is cuz of 3 games

I also don't see why you're trying to make this a Luongo thread when it's clearly titled "[Report] No Shane Doan Decision For a Few More Weeks- Leaning Towards Coyotes".

A lot of posters just completely ignoring changes in overall salaries in the league. Just imagine that we, say, 6 years ago locked Sedins for 8 years contract at 5M/y. Would it be a big money for them back then? Of course! In fact they got just 3.575M.

And what, today we will be tight not to give anyone more than 5M? Crazy thought ...

Alright Miller, the past few days your argument has been how much of a tough guy Doan is and how he will protect the Sedins. Your main argument has been that other teams' "rats" will not be able to push around our stars because Doan will protect them. Also you feel Doan will be a mentor for Kassian. Therefore he's worth a long term contract at Sedins salary.

IMO you have capitulated by saying "he's a better fighter than Burrows". Burrows? Any ways.

So I'm driving yesterday at around 2pm, listening to TEAM1040.

MG was on air, I think with Price and he was taking calls.

Paraphrasing.

caller: MG I understand you are trying to sign Doan. Last 3 years your team has been eliminated by eventual Cup winners. The biggest impact on each series was made by , Byfuglien, Lucic and Brown. Do you think Doan is that player and is that why you are trying to sign him?

MG: I think Zack Kassian is that player. He is in tremendous shape and we couldn't be happier with how hard he's worked over the summer. Kassian is the player we think who will fill that role............... went on to talk about Kassian at length....... last sentence,,, do we think Doan will help our team? Yes I think he would help a number of team in the league including ours.

MG was asked a direct question on this subject which you have been passionately arguing and he named another player for that role. MG did not say Doan would mentor Kassian for that role.

I can 't understand where you got this whole idea of Doan being a protector/fighter/tough guy. Doan has never been that guy, never, ever.

By the way, about your whole argument about Jason Arnott and Gary Roberts being effective post 37 years of age. One question, how much did Arnott make last year? I'll let you know, he made $2.5 mill. Was Gary Roberts amongst the highest paid players on his team for the past few years of his career? NO. He was a role player.

Roberts made $4.25m in 2003-2004 at the tender age of 37 and he signed a three year $7.5m deal ($2.5m cap hit) under a $39m cap at the age of thirty-nine. That cap hit under a $70.2m is $4.5m for ages 39, 40 & 41.

Doan was a guy who dropped the gloves 20x from '95-'00 (aged 19-24). That's 4x per year. He had 5 fights in '95-'96, '96-'97 & '05-'06. Jarome Iginla has also had three seasons of 5 fights or more during that same time frame (including 19 fights from age 19-24). Is that to say Doan is as tough and frequent of a fighter as Iginla? No, but it does say he fights. He also hits as hard as Iginla. Let's not ignore that, please. It's a big part of the deterrent factor here.

Doan is not currently a Canuck. Gillis will not say he will be a mentor for Kassian until that can actually happen, ie he's Canuck property as well. Please, Doan is the only available player with a similar skillset and temperament to Kassian's. Surely you recognize that. Yeah, Iginla would be an even better mentor but he's not an UFA...

Roberts made $4.25m in 2003-2004 at the tender age of 37 and he signed a three year $7.5m deal ($2.5m cap hit) under a $39m cap at the age of thirty-nine. That cap hit under a $70.2m is $4.5m for ages 39, 40 & 41.

Edit: Btw, you are making a caricatured version of what I'm saying Doan is: "How much of a tough guy"... Doan is a Samuelsson/Torres/Morrow hybrid that can play in your top-six and drop the mitts when your team needs a response to a cheapshot without embarrassing the team in the fight.

Edit #2: The only things Brown, Byfuglien & Lucic have in common is that they go hard to the net, hit hard, score dirty goals and are tough to move in front of the net (which is what Gillis thinks Kassian can bring there). Byfuglien isn't a good scrapper at all. Neither is Brown.

19 to 24? Doan is going to be 36 in a couple of months.

Now you bring up Iginla in comparison to Doan? Are you friking kidding me? Doan has never been close to Iginla in any part of the game. From fighting to scoring to leading. Doan is no Iginla, period.

Your whole argument has been the reason to bring in Doan is to protect the stars. MG does not share your thoughts. Doan is not a protector/fighter. You are flat out wrong in your assessment of Doan.

Thanx for looking up Roberts contract details. How does listing this prove your point? It argues against your point. It proves my point.

Would love to have Doan at Roberts Cap hit and salary pro rated to $70.2 mill.

$4.5 mill? Sign him.

To make Doan the highest paid player on the Canucks is overpayment.

19 to 24? Doan is going to be 36 in a couple of months.

Now you bring up Iginla in comparison to Doan? Are you friking kidding me? Doan has never been close to Iginla in any part of the game. From fighting to scoring to leading. Doan is no Iginla, period.

Your whole argument has been the reason to bring in Doan is to protect the stars. MG does not share your thoughts. Doan is not a protector/fighter. You are flat out wrong in your assessment of Doan.

Thanx for looking up Roberts contract details. How does listing this prove your point? It argues against your point. It proves my point.

Would love to have Doan at Roberts Cap hit and salary pro rated to $70.2 mill.

$4.5 mill? Sign him.

To make Doan the highest paid player on the Canucks is overpayment.

Archived