The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ok, so I haven't been following all your guys posts either, but I just want to ask a question pertaining to Doan protecting the Sedins and it doesn't have to do with fighting. It has to do with his respect level that other teams might possibly finally give to the Sedin line. We all know they have never received their due respect, especially (maybe even because) Burrows has almost always been on a line with them. Will Doan's presence in and of itself protect the Sedins?

Hopefully he signs with Van, but if he doesn't I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. No doubt he would be a good addition, but i'm not entirely sold on him being the "missing peice" vancouver needs to bring home the cup. What vancouver needs is a playoff performing sniper and/or a legitimate number 1 defensmen imo.

Someone on the HF boards said that he knows someone in the Canucks organization and he mentioned that he heard some rumblings about MG and company on getting a deal done for Doan before Friday, and also something about Ballard going to Philly? I guess they could be making room for Shane by getting rid of KB me thinks IF this all is true of course.

Someone on the HF boards said that he knows someone in the Canucks organization and he mentioned that he heard some rumblings about MG and company on getting a deal done for Doan before Friday, and also something about Ballard going to Philly? I guess they could be making room for Shane by getting rid of KB me thinks IF this all is true of course.

LOL, I don't even have to read through all of the posts on the past 3 pages. Judging by the number of quoted passages and bolded/colored/increased font size of certain sentences, this thread has officially devolved into a pissing contest of who has the greater and more correct opinion.

The bottom line is this: Doan would be a beneficial addition to this team, even at a term of 3 to 4 years at a price of up to and including 5.5m/year, that much is certain.

You can debate the merits of his physicality, or his veteran leadership or anything else you want. The fact is Doan plays a style of game on this team that no one else can pull off consistently while maintaining their health for the duration of the season. Doan probably will never top 70 points in the last 3-4 years of his career, but if he provides a solid clutch 45-50 points per season and steps up in the playoffs I will be more than satisfied.

Hell, we could easily not sign Doan to an inflated contract. I have confidence that Kassian is really going to step it up this coming season, remember he's a year behind Hodgson in development. Provided Kassian has a good offseason and training camp, I could see him providing the physical playmaking presence we need on the 2nd line and potting 40-50 points to boot.

We don't need to sign Doan, but it makes sense to sign him for the right cost. We can't afford to mortgage the short term future, especially when next off season is going to have a way better UFA pool to fish from. If GMMG can get Doan at the right price that doesn't impact future signings or take away from the progress of the youth movement, I say pull the trigger. Otherwise cut bait and bail out, not worth the risk.

LOL, I don't even have to read through all of the posts on the past 3 pages. Judging by the number of quoted passages and bolded/colored/increased font size of certain sentences, this thread has officially devolved into a pissing contest of who has the greater and more correct opinion.

The bottom line is this: Doan would be a beneficial addition to this team, even at a term of 3 to 4 years at a price of up to and including 5.5m/year, that much is certain.

You can debate the merits of his physicality, or his veteran leadership or anything else you want. The fact is Doan plays a style of game on this team that no one else can pull off consistently while maintaining their health for the duration of the season. Doan probably will never top 70 points in the last 3-4 years of his career, but if he provides a solid clutch 45-50 points per season and steps up in the playoffs I will be more than satisfied.

Hell, we could easily not sign Doan to an inflated contract. I have confidence that Kassian is really going to step it up this coming season, remember he's a year behind Hodgson in development. Provided Kassian has a good offseason and training camp, I could see him providing the physical playmaking presence we need on the 2nd line and potting 40-50 points to boot.

We don't need to sign Doan, but it makes sense to sign him for the right cost. We can't afford to mortgage the short term future, especially when next off season is going to have a way better UFA pool to fish from. If GMMG can get Doan at the right price that doesn't impact future signings or take away from the progress of the youth movement, I say pull the trigger. Otherwise cut bait and bail out, not worth the risk.

I thought the 4-year/$24m offer on the table from Pittsburgh was the problem. Would you do that? I thought your problem was that he was going to decline in year 3 and by year 4 a $6m cap hit at that age would be an anchor?

I think everyone knows the 4-year/$30m offer is coming from a non-player in these "sweepstakes".

Archived