The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

August 8, 2012, 1:00 pm

Shane Doan is still floating in free-agent limbo, but the New York Rangers have emerged as the favourite to land the star forward.

Doan has spent all 16 years of his NHL career with the Winnipeg Jetsturned Phoenix Coyotes franchise, but could potentially find a new home before the 2012-13 season.

On Tuesday, Doan’s agent Terry Bross confirmed that the 34-year-old has only met with three teams: The Vancouver Canucks, thePhiladelphia Flyers and the Rangers.

Doan has a relationship with multiple members of New York’s coaching staff, which is one factor signaling them as the front-runner.

Another significant factor is the Rangers’ signing of Rick Nash, further cementing their status as a serious Stanley Cup contender.

The current inactivity surrounding Doan stems from his desire to wait out the pending sale of the franchise. Doan wants to avoid leaving the Coyotes, only to have them ultimately remain in Arizona.

Bross confirmed that there is currently a four-year deal worth at least $7 million per season on the table, but Doan remains steadfast in his decision to wait out the team’s potential buyers in order to avoid uprooting his family.

The Canucks may appeal to the Doan family, as his wife grew up in the area and they own a vacation house in Kamloops, B.C.

Despite scoring his lowest point total (50) last year since the 2001-02 season, Doan remains highly sought after by several teams including the Pittsburgh Penguins and Nashville Predators.

For now, Doan will wait and hope the team’s prospective buyer can get the $20 million he needs to move the team to Glendale and keep them close to home.

Why? Miss out on Doan and then you need a ready-made NHL'er in the Luo deal (assuming there is one). Someone that can play 3rd line at the very least, and second line if we're lucky. Get Doan, and you can take the risk on a prospect that won't be ready for a year or two. The reality is there isn't much to move on to anyway.

My opinion based on his stats, age, size, skillset, previous contract, inflation and comparables around the league etc.

If he weren't such a sought after UFA in such a shallow UFA pool that's likely pretty close to what his value would be IMO and is likely where the Phoenix offers were if I'm making a guess. Those things are driving up his "value" (though if some idiot GM wants to pay him $6.5m-$8m...)

Feel free to counter an argument if you disagree rather than making childish remarks that don't add to the discussion.

Ok, with your permission (thank you!) I'll counter ...

So, my opinion based on his stats, age, size, skillset, previous contract, inflation and comparables around the league etc. And I'm estimating his "true" value IN CURRENT MARKET (what could be more truer?) as 6 - 6.2M. And of course, he can get even more.

Front runner status is a rumored thing, there's no way we can know if it's true or not. And yes, Gillman has known Doan since the Jets days way back. But that just means there's familiarity, we can't know for sure how much that plays.

Also - have you ever been to NY? It's one of only a few cities that can leave an immediate impression on you, truly one of the great metropolis' of the world. And I've never met a woman that hasn't wanted to stay there for an extended period of time. That may be a gross generalization, but if we found out Doan's wife fell in love with the place (Doan too) I wouldn't be surprised. Vancouver is one of the best cities to live in, hands down - but it also takes some time to uncover why it's so good.

Basically what I'm saying - Blame the city of Vancouver's laid back nature if Doan doesn't sign with us. :ph34r:

Archived