The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OK you keep throwing out this E Kane or Ryan thing over and over. People keep explaining why that won't work, and yet you just keep repeating that.

The Jets have tonnes of cap space, Vancouver not so much. No matter what we throw at Kane, Winnipeg will match it. If it's a multi-year offer, they'll match it and thank us for locking up Kane for them.

Bobby Ryan? He's not a free-agent. Who do you propose we give up to get him, that Anaheim would actually accept (and no they're not going to take Ballard and Raymond for him) do you think we'll give up 2 or 3 core roster players to get him? probably have to be some combination including Kesler. Is that going to make the team better.

Man, I've just gotta shake my head at you armchair GMs. C'mon Gillis just go and get player x. Give team y Ballard and Raymond for (insert all-star player name here) get it done Gillis.

I didnt say getting Garrison was a bad thing, what I meant is that the canucks lost one and replaced him with another. All that did was restore the balance, it didnt add to the team. Its good that Garrison is younger but the nucks still arent stronger than before. And not that I liked Rome but he's gone too so you could say we've lost more than we've gained.

Gillis acquired a bonafide top 4 player in Garrison and let Salo walk. Salo in all reality had lost a step. He wanted a multi-year deal which Gillis rightfully did not want to give him. Equating the two players as comparable is not sound. The comment about Rome is fair IMHO. My question would be whether Gillis had pencilled Tanev into a lot of Rome's ice time and that Rome's cost as a result had become prohibitive. Again, I believe Rome got a multi year deal at close to $2 M so make your own conclusion.

nope never made those player suggestions, nor did anyone tell me specifically why it wouldn't work. Armchair GM? What are you, a toilet bowl GM? You think you know better? Evander is the player the Nux should grow some balls and throw everything at. So many reasons why it would make sense to throw the big bux at him over the senior citizens that have been mentioned. We know what the Jets offered Kane, so why not take it up a notch and see about signing him to an offer sheet. The guy will be a top league power forward in no time and already shows signs of brilliance. This is where we invest for the future and get a good player on the team now. Sure we would have to give up assets, but man he would bolster this club nicely. Gillis would rather throw money at seniors and then waste valuable market time holding Luongo....MG lost his advantage last year when Lu was pulled and we got eliminated. We weren't even able to land Ott which also would have helped this club. Our core is getting stale and we need to rejuvenate it with thoroughbreads that can play now. Look at previous Stanley cup champions and you'll see they are not afraid of change. Youth has been prevalent in the past few winners. We are simply getting older. This team will not progress at this rate. Zack Kassian being tutored or mentored by Doan will not be what gets us a cup. Forget Doan & Arnott....trade Lu for the cupboard, and trade some pieces for someone like Kane...why not offer sheet as well. Worth a try. I recall MG saying this would be a city players would want to come to play for. I don't see them coming in droves. This management is too stingy and cheap. The players now are simply getting stale.

nope never made those player suggestions, nor did anyone tell me specifically why it wouldn't work. Armchair GM? What are you, a toilet bowl GM? You think you know better? Evander is the player the Nux should grow some balls and throw everything at. So many reasons why it would make sense to throw the big bux at him over the senior citizens that have been mentioned. We know what the Jets offered Kane, so why not take it up a notch and see about signing him to an offer sheet. The guy will be a top league power forward in no time and already shows signs of brilliance. This is where we invest for the future and get a good player on the team now. Sure we would have to give up assets, but man he would bolster this club nicely. Gillis would rather throw money at seniors and then waste valuable market time holding Luongo....MG lost his advantage last year when Lu was pulled and we got eliminated. We weren't even able to land Ott which also would have helped this club. Our core is getting stale and we need to rejuvenate it with thoroughbreads that can play now. Look at previous Stanley cup champions and you'll see they are not afraid of change. Youth has been prevalent in the past few winners. We are simply getting older. This team will not progress at this rate. Zack Kassian being tutored or mentored by Doan will not be what gets us a cup. Forget Doan & Arnott....trade Lu for the cupboard, and trade some pieces for someone like Kane...why not offer sheet as well. Worth a try. I recall MG saying this would be a city players would want to come to play for. I don't see them coming in droves. This management is too stingy and cheap. The players now are simply getting stale.

vancouver isn't a destination for free agents and never will be, and it has nothing to do with how much they're willing to spend. it's for the same reason NO canadian team will ever be a destination for free agents: 95% of the players in the league want to be able to live normal lives and not get harassed by fans while eating dinner with ther families at a restaurant.

sundin took the money for half a season and retired. he didn't care. if you think he would have chosen to sign long term in vancouver during his prime for market value you're an idiot. the other two are both british columbians and second tier players at best, and that has to be taken into consideration.

i should have stated "premier" free agents in my post but i thought the implication would be obvious.

Our salary structure hasn't allowed us to offer "fair" market value to big name free agents. There is no way we could have offered Parise, Suter, Weber, Richards, or Kovalchuk what they got. If the Sedins had gone to market, then they would have gotten a pretty sick salary too. Luongo would have gotten more per season than he did here with us. I think that it has only been recently that we have become more of a destination for players, but now that we are we don't have the cap space or roster spot to get them. Detroit is a destination for premier players who want a shot at a cup, but they haven't exactly attracted anyone in the last couple years. Not since Hossa have they signed a "premier" guy. I am not a huge fan of the asking price for the big name guys during free agency anyway. Trade and development are the way to go, unless a guy wants to take a discount. None of the big name free agents are taking discounts, so trade and development it is.

Archived