The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I would love for Seattle to have a team, there's a Seattle native who is now living in California who has a hedge fund and is loaded that is willing to build new arenas in seattle and support teams as long as Seattle gets an nba AND nhl franchise

This is not true.

1) The money people are willing to spend on entertainment will be spent on entertainment, be it going to the movies, out for dinner or even to concerts.

2) To have more tax dollars collected there needs to be more money spent, to have more money spent more money needs to be earned (or less saved, which is no good for an economy with huge debt).

3) Sports franchises do not earn money for the people who are going to be spending money to see the teams play

1)Definitely debatable.

2)You are forgetting about Canadian income tax on a likely $50 some million dollars, plus the ticket revenue. Here is a chart of Canadian team ticket revenue:

canada111_57832.gif

It would be pretty hard to argue that between $40 and $65 million dollars would disappear from the rest of the economy to make room in the Quebec City hockey fans' entertainment budget.

3) The trickle down effect does earn money for all the employees that provide all sorts of services. Bars, restaurants, and many other surrounding businesses would also profit from it, as would the employees of the arena.

I think Seattle is a great spot to put a team, but they would have to have owners willing to build some infrastructure.

Quebec wouldn't be paying for it with tax dollars. In fact, there would be considerable tax revenue generated by the team. Quebec City is ready for a team again.

sundin took the money for half a season and retired. he didn't care. if you think he would have chosen to sign long term in vancouver during his prime for market value you're an idiot. the other two are both british columbians and second tier players at best, and that has to be taken into consideration.

i should have stated "premier" free agents in my post but i thought the implication would be obvious.

The CURRENT market is inflated. If there's enough upside you can pay more than you should but the Canucks are a spend to the cap team every year and they can't afford to take on 7.5 million in one player. and all those guys that say we can b/c Kesler will be on LTIR are too shortsighted. What about when Kes comes back? What about next year when Burr and Edler need new contracts? Taking on the contract that Doan reportedly wants is not a good idea.

When you're offering multi-year contracts to players 35 and over you have to be very careful b/c of the risk of injury, retirement, or decline in play regardless of the person. Lidstrom is a legend among d-men. Doan is good but at 35 he doesn't have the same resume Lidstrom had.

Chicago went all in in 2010 and were lucky that they won b/c the next year, the team was half blown-up. As we saw with our team in 2011, a cup calibre team, which our team was, can still lose against another cup calibre team. This could happen again if we stack our team for one year, not thinking of the future. We've also seen that a lower seeded team can win the cup with the Kings. As long as your window is open at all, you have a chance.

I'd rather have our window less open for more years than to push it as wide open as we can for one year but screw the future.

jlgphoto_013_reasonably_small.jpg

Tim Ring

@timring3TV

Sports Director at KTVK-TV. Chicago-bred Phoenician. Don't let a win get to your head or a loss to your heart.

Phoenix

Follow

hjlgphoto_013_normal.jpgTim Ring@timring3TV

SOURCE: "99%" Shane Doan will return to the Coyotes.

Collapse

Doan has always said he would rather re-sign with PHX.

For you to determine if you wish to believe the source or not.

Archived