The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You're kind of contradicting yourself there. If we sign Doan we can waive a player (cough..Raymond) and still be under cap, so that doesn't make Gillis any more desperate to trade Luongo. Depending on what happens w/ the CBA the cap will probably be higher anyway.

Some interesting connections I haven't seen yet. Probably meaningless.

Doan is an Alberta native, but Calgary lacks cap space and Edmonton is hardly a contender despite its collection of potential young stars. Doan does have ties to British Columbia as well though, having played for Kamloops in the Western Hockey League in his junior days and now being a part-owner of that Blazers franchise. His wife is also from Kamloops, making a return to British Columbia with a Canucks a possibility.

That

possibility was confirmed on Monday when Doan's agent Terry Bross told CKWX AM-1130 in Vancouver that the Canucks "are very much in the mix for his client." It doesn't hurt that Vancouver assistant general manager Laurence Gilman was with Winnipeg during Doan's days there.

Doan's Kamloops connections open up other possibilities as well. The ownership group is led by Tom Gaglardi, who just happens to also own the Dallas Stars. The Stars also happen to have just signed Doan's Phoenix teammate Ray Whitney to a two-year, $9 million deal.

Former Bruin Mark Recchi is part of the Kamloops ownership group as well, and could try to steer his buddy to Boston. Despite their close ties, which include co-hosting the annual Recchi-Doan Charity Classic, it's unlikely that Doan will venture this far East.

The fact management and the new owner are not sharing much info with him should be an indication that there are risks and uncertainties associated with the franchise and the deal.

Doan is just an asset to the league and proposed owner. He should take a hard look at the teams that have courted him and who really have a space for him in their plans and make a move.

To Phoenix, he is just a marquis player to fill seats (not many, unfortunately) and perhaps make money or reduce losses for Jamison (or the NHL).

He deserves better than to end his career struggling in a market that never should have been and which Bettman refuses to acknowledge. Staying only helps Bettman avoid more embarrassment but Shane will never get a sniff at a cup there.

I agree. Doan isn't trying to wait to make a decision, he's got family and children who are waiting for possibly their new city. It is the management and ownership that have been making Doan wait, the longer he waits, the more impatient he'll get.

Posted · Hidden by Templeton Peck, July 21, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Templeton Peck, July 21, 2012 - No reason given

A voice of reason! It was getting lonely in here (funny you should mention it, but I'm actually an atheist too, so I'm used to being violently attacked for being right when everyone else is wrong)!

And, yes, I am condescending. Unlike the competition, I'm intellectually-honest and will admit when I'm wrong. I have about 50 IQ points on most of these guys, so when dumb people call me stupid - I like to show them that I'm WAY smarter than they are (so, if I'm stupid - what the hell does that make them)!...

Ha! We're not getting

anything decent for Lu... The best we could possibly hope for is albatross for albatross (Luongo for Nash). Other than that, we're getting hosed...

And, not just for one or two reasons, we're getting hosed for just soooooo many:

1. Lu's been a prima donna since day one (remember all the hoops he used to make management jump through - well, I shouldn't say 'used to', he's still doing it to this day?).

2. Lu's treated management as bad as management treated Bure. Well, OK, maybe not quite that bad, but not good either. And, who has to make a massive gamble to acquire Lu?... Right, another team's management... They're like elephants, they don't forget.

3. If you were a coach or GM, would you want a player who asked out of a decade-long contract after three games on the bench??? Ever???

4. Lu is reportedly steering the trade towards one or two teams (who have nothing we want).

5. Lu never moved his family here. Despite signing a contract in the 2000's - that ran through the 2010's - and into the 2020's... Would you want a player who cared that much about your city?...

6. Would you want a player (signed for another decade) whose production declined dramatically and almost immediately after he signed that contract?...

7. That contract.

8. Oh, and that contract was clearly designed so Lu could cheat the rules (and not play the last few years, yet still get paid the big bucks). Would you want a player who is OK with cheating?...

9. Luongo made his trade request public - thereby ensuring we don't get fair value. Again, would you want a player who did that to his last team on your team???

10. And, it's worth repeating... This isn't a long, drawn out thing or something that's been brewing forever. Lu is pissed that A BETTER PLAYER got to start THREE GAMES ahead of him. Three. Freaking. Games. And, he can't stand playing on this team anymore... Would you want a player like that on your team???

And, remember...

If you pick this player up - you are on the hook for like fifty million dollars - AND - you have to give up one or more decent players in exchange...

Oh yeah, and is this player famous for being a choker?...

Archived