Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1823 replies to this topic

#361 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Papa John's Kamloops@PapaJohnskam

We are very excited to be part of tomorrows Kamloops Blazers Alumni Golf Tournament at Eagle Point Golf! Papa... http://fb.me/CuMrKKTN

#362 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

@Gambo620
Coyotes Captain Shane Doan expected to start negotiating with other teams if Jamison does not close deal to purchase Coyotes in next 24 hrs

307mg00.jpg

#363 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Can you front load a contact or will it still count towards the cap? I always get confused with this.

cap hit is based on average.

you can front load a contract ie. 15+10+4+1 = 30 million / 4 = $7.5 million cap hit
or
7.5+7.5+7.5+7.5 = 30 million / 4 = $7.5 million cap hit

either way, i think the price is too high and do not see the canucks signing doan. doan is 35 and if you offer him 7.5 million the sedins might want 7 million when their contract expires. this would screw up the canucks internal cap

edit: i see him going to philly

Edited by canucks.bradley, 27 July 2012 - 12:46 PM.

Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#364 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Way too much
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#365 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

If an NHL team wants a shot at landing Shane Doan, it's going to be quite costly.

A source told Globe and Mail hockey columnist David Shoalts on Friday that the unrestricted free agent forward is looking for a four-year, $30 million contract if he leave the Phoenix Coyotes - the only franchise he's ever played for.

Doan is coming off a five-year, $22.75 million contract with an average annual value of $4.55 million.
Doan, who hit the market on July 1, already visited with the New York Rangers and the Philadelphia Flyers last week while taking part in collective bargaining talks with the NHL and NHL Players' Association.

The 35-year-old forward has maintained that his first priority is to stay with the Coyotes and is keeping a close eye on whether prospective buyer Greg Jamison will be able to close his deal to keep the team in Arizona. According to reports, Doan and Jamison met Friday to discuss the possibility of progress being made towards a sale.

In 1,119 career NHL games - all with Winnipeg/Phoenix, Doan has scored 296 goals and 738 points.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401580

Doan just priced himself out of Vancouver if this report is accurate. I would still take Doan @ this price, but not at that term. I think Gillis moves on, we may see a Luongo trade sooner rather than later now with the return being a T6 forward and bottom 6 grit.

Edited by Shadowgoon, 27 July 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#366 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

1 year $8-10M. Sundin style.
Doan gets a big payday. Canucks are only on the hook for 1 year. What else are the Canucks going to spend the cap on.

#367 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Shane Doan could very easily be following in Mark Messier's footsteps if he were to sign in Vancouver. Messier capitalized on the free agent market in 1997 at thirty-six years of age. The latter signed a three-year deal and failed to deliver based on his salary. It is highly unlikely Doan would ever play like a $7.5 million player at his age, and his contract would only hinder this team in a couple years.

1 year $8-10M. Sundin style.
Doan gets a big payday. Canucks are only on the hook for 1 year. What else are the Canucks going to spend the cap on.

The difference between the Sundin saga and this is, in the case of the former, the team proposed the large contract, and Mats gauged whether he wanted to be paid that amount. Doan's insider, apparently, has stated Shane would like a four-year deal, and teams must negotiate based on that length and amount now. I suspect teams will attempt to reduce the length to two or three years, but it is unlikely the contract length will be reduced to a single year.

I believe he will be signing a multi-year deal, regardless of where he decides to go.

Edited by WeatherWise, 27 July 2012 - 12:57 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#368 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

That FAD these days seems to be Smaller cap hit with larger signing bonus....

with a 5M aav, for 4 years = 20M + signing bonus.

1st year - 5M aav + 3M signing bonus
2nd year - 5M aav + 2M signing bonus
3rd year - 5M aav + 1M signing bonus
4th year - 5M aav

OR SOMTHING LIKE THAT.

crap or even

1M aav over 4 years + 5 M signing bonus.?

2 Things wrong with this. First that's not how signing bonuses work, they count against the cap still. Secondly Doan is over 35+ so I don't think he qualifies for any bonuses? Not a 100% sure on that though.

#369 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

I don't get how people don't think we can get Doan as kesler is'nt going to be on the books,we have 3 mill to get players and trading Luo will get it done!MG loves players like Doan and Doan himself knows how good of a team we have.Doan wants a cup and so do we so we have to be in his top 2 teams to sign with the other is the Coyoties.We might have to make a couple other trades to make it happen like Raymond and Ballard or whomever but we can go 10% over the cap till season starts which again makes it possible!Leadership is hard to fin and Doan is a grade A leader making him worth what he wants on a great team.

How do you figure Kesler won't be on the books? The last MG talked about it I'm pretty sure he said Kesler was ahead of schedule and could be ready for opening night if there is no lockout. Assuming there is a lockout I think it is very likely Kesler will be ready opening night.

#370 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401580

Doan just priced himself out of Vancouver if this report is accurate. I would still take Doan @ this price, but not at that term. I think Gillis moves on, we may see a Luongo trade sooner rather than later now with the return being a T6 forward and bottom 6 grit.

This is just a hunch, and speculation on my part, but I'm thinking the 30M over 4 years would be his asking price for an Eastern team, and might be a bit lower for one of the west coast teams. Probably not much lower, but I'd imagine he's willing to leave a bit on the table to not have to pack up his family and move them across the continent. Also that report is all second-hand info through David Shoalts, so I'm about...90% sure it's not accurate (there, that's my one and only Samjam joke out of my system)

#371 Rypien.4.Ever

Rypien.4.Ever

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Shane Doan could very easily be following in Mark Messier's footsteps if he were to sign in Vancouver. Messier capitalized on the free agent market in 1997 at thirty-six years of age. The latter signed a three-year deal and failed to deliver based on his salary. It is highly unlikely Doan would ever play like a $7.5 million player at his age, and his contract would only hinder this team in a couple years.

The difference between the Sundin saga and this is the team proposed the large contract, and Mats gauged whether he wanted to be paid that amount. Doan's agent, meanwhile, has stated Shane would like a four-year deal, and teams must negotiate based on that length and amount now. I suspect teams will attempt to reduce the length to two or three years, but it is unlikely the contract length will be reduced to a single year.

I believe he will be signing a multi-year deal, regardless of where he decides to go.

I believe you if Doan rapes our lockerroom chemistry.
The twins will get traded for this pick. You can quote me .

-Some idiot named Shredder talking about Connor McDavid.

#372 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

This is just a hunch, and speculation on my part, but I'm thinking the 30M over 4 years would be his asking price for an Eastern team, and might be a bit lower for one of the west coast teams. Probably not much lower, but I'd imagine he's willing to leave a bit on the table to not have to pack up his family and move them across the continent. Also that report is all second-hand info through David Shoalts, so I'm about...90% sure it's not accurate (there, that's my one and only Samjam joke out of my system)

So that's where all this 90% stuff came from. I don't pay attention to 90% of the BS on this site :bigblush:

#373 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Mobile
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#374 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

I believe you if Doan rapes our lockerroom chemistry.

It's difficult to say what will happen. Mark Messier was touted as one of the sport's greatest leaders, yet the Canucks experienced some of their worst struggles when he arrived. Many believe he showed no passion or determination at his age. At Doan's age, a mid-length, $7.5 million per year contract would attract the same type of criticism. The expectations would be much too high for him to reach.

Generally, questionable contracts are not regarded very highly. It is unknown how this might affect locker room chemistry, though some players may not perceive him as an appreciated member of the club if he underperforms. There is a definite risk when any overpaid player enters the dressing room, though this may especially be the case for an aging player.

Edited by WeatherWise, 27 July 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#375 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

The difference between the Sundin saga and this is the team proposed the large contract, and Mats gauged whether he wanted to be paid that amount. Doan's agent, meanwhile, has stated Shane would like a four-year deal, and teams must negotiate based on that length and amount now. I suspect teams will attempt to reduce the length to two or three years, but it is unlikely the contract length will be reduced to a single year.

When and where has Bross said this? There's second-hand info from one of Shoat's "insiders" saying that, but nowhere has Terry Bross himself come out and said that.

#376 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Doan has price tag in mind:

Shane Doan may not have made up his mind about leaving the Phoenix Coyotes but he does know what he wants as the price of signing with a new NHL team.

A source familiar with Doan’s talks with other NHL teams said Friday the veteran forward, who is the only Coyotes player who was with the team when it moved to Arizona from Winnipeg in 1995, is asking for a total of $30-million (all currency U.S.) over four years. Considering that Doan will turn 36 in early October, that would be an expensive and risky proposition for a new employer, which may be why the Detroit Red Wings are reported to have dropped out of the running.

Doan, who became an unrestricted free agent July 1, and his agent Terry Bross are waiting to hear from prospective Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison before making a decision to negotiate with other teams. Bross said earlier this week if Jamison had not offered assurances by Friday he can buy the Coyotes from the NHL they would probably look at the many offers that came in from other teams.

Last season, Doan made $4.55-million in the final year of his contract with the Coyotes but that is considered to be a hometown discount. The Coyotes captain, who had 50 points last season, does not want to change teams but is finally considering it because of the uncertain future of the team.

There are teams willing to pay Doan between $7-million and $7.5-million because of his leadership and two-way play but only for one or perhaps two years. However, the source said there will probably be at least one team willing to meet his demands.

Among the teams chasing Doan are the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Nashville Predators, Montreal Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks.

http://www.theglobea..._medium=twitter

307mg00.jpg

#377 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

When and where has Bross said this? There's second-hand info from one of Shoat's "insiders" saying that, but nowhere has Terry Bross himself come out and said that.

Apologies. Must have glanced over that detail incorrectly, as I've been preoccupied with a few other things this past hour. Will edit. I appreciate the correction.

The opening ceremony for the London Olympics will begin in about a minute. Hopefully, a few of you will tune in.

Edited by WeatherWise, 27 July 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#378 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

At 7-7.5 I feel gillis will back out.

Edited by MikeyBoy44, 27 July 2012 - 01:25 PM.

Posted Image

#379 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan, an unrestricted free agent, will reportedly meet with potential new team owner Greg Jamison on Friday.

The Arizona Republic reports Doan and his agent, Terry Bross, are looking for some positive news from former San Jose Sharks owner Jamison's ownership bid of the financially struggling franchise. If progress isn't being made to seal the purchase of the Coyotes, Doan will start negotiating with other NHL teams.

"We're expecting some type of announcement or debriefing [Friday] regarding the ownership group, and hopefully we get good news and [General Manager] Don [Maloney] and I can start putting pencil to paper," said Bross. "If we don't, I think we're going to start to negotiate with some of the other clubs."

The 35-year-old right winger is one of the last highly sought after free agents available on the market.

"I say there are three or four [teams] that he's very serious about," Bross said. "There's probably two more that he has a lot of interest in."

Teams interested in his services include the New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers and Montreal Canadiens. But Doan's first choice is to remain with the Coyotes.

"It's time to fish or cut bait," Bross said. "All the obstacles are out of the way, so I can't hold these teams off forever. They have franchises to run, and they need to make moves for their clubs as well. I don't think it's fair to Shane or the other clubs that might be interested to continue to drag this out."

The NHL has owned the Coyotes since September 2009 when then owner Jerry Moyes put the team into bankruptcy after suffering massive losses. In bankruptcy court, the NHL emerged as the new owner, but has been unable to find a suitable successor.

http://www.torontosu...lk-with-jamison

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#380 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

http://www.torontosu...lk-with-jamison

Is Jamison at the golf tournament? Otherwise this article means squat, as we all know Doan is at the Blazer's golf tourney. Also love how they just left Vancouver off the list of teams he's interested in going to, when it's been pretty well documented they're one of the ones he's interested in.

#381 tequila

tequila

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Are you high? He is paid that much because he is worth that much. Captain in Phoenix, big body, goes to dirty areas, good leader, and is willing stand up for teammates. Yes, 7.5m for 4 years would be an overpayment but I would be running if we got him for 6m for 3 years.

He adds so much to the team and our window is right now. He is exactly what we need.

BS!
The first thing we need is a passer, a playmaker!
And if Doan demands 30M/ 4 years he should be called the greediest player of all time!
Just imagine Canucks fans reaction if he was Russian...

Posted Image
tequila

#382 George_Costanza

George_Costanza

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Mobile

Scroll to bottom, click "full version", profit.
Posted Image

#383 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Scroll to bottom, click "full version", profit.

Yes but then it's quite annoying to scroll through all the signatures on mobile.

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#384 stuckinontario

stuckinontario

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Anyone else notice lately that when it comes to rumors, Eklund never seems to mention the Canucks when he blogs about the Doan situation... meanwhile, pretty much everyone else (from mainstream media sources like TSN to the horde of "insider" Twits out there) all have the Canucks on their radar as one of the favorites to land him?

Not that it matters one bit what Eklund says, but it still amuses me a bit.
Posted Image
Canucks brass, send scouts out to Ptbo!

#385 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

At 7-7.5 I feel gillis will back out.

And he should. As much as I like what Doan would bring to the team, that is too much money and too long in term. The highest I would go is 4 yrs @ 5 mil or 3yrs @ 6 mil.

That price tag has "Flyers" written all over it and Homer is welcome to him if he wants to pay that price. I just hope Snider realizes how bad it's going to look on him if he decides to play hard ball with the PA during the new CBA negotiations.

If that report is true, Gillis might as well start taking a serious look at Arnie...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#386 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

That FAD these days seems to be Smaller cap hit with larger signing bonus....

with a 5M aav, for 4 years = 20M + signing bonus.

1st year - 5M aav + 3M signing bonus
2nd year - 5M aav + 2M signing bonus
3rd year - 5M aav + 1M signing bonus
4th year - 5M aav

OR SOMTHING LIKE THAT.

crap or even

1M aav over 4 years + 5 M signing bonus.?

That's not how the cap works. The entire salary Is counted and signing bonus is part of it. Then it's divided by the number of years.

So in your proposal the total contract would be $27 million. Divide that by the number of yers which is 4.

Your annual cap hit would be $6.75 pet year. It would count for 4 years even if Doan retired early because he's 35+ years old.

IMO Doan is not worth this contract.

#387 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

BS!
The first thing we need is a passer, a playmaker!
And if Doan demands 30M/ 4 years he should be called the greediest player of all time!
Just imagine Canucks fans reaction if he was Russian...

Posted Image

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#388 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

And he should. As much as I like what Doan would bring to the team, that is too much money and too long in term. The highest I would go is 4 yrs @ 5 mil or 3yrs @ 6 mil.

That price tag has "Flyers" written all over it and Homer is welcome to him if he wants to pay that price. I just hope Snider realizes how bad it's going to look on him if he decides to play hard ball with the PA during the new CBA negotiations.

If that report is true, Gillis might as well start taking a serious look at Arnie...

I would take a 1 year 3.0 Mill run @ Arnott, if his body @ 37 can keep up to the rigours of the Canucks travel schedule, I think he could put similar numbers to what Doan could here, and it would only be 1 year, no stupid term at a high cap hit.

#389 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

I would take a 1 year 3.0 Mill run @ Arnott, if his body @ 37 can keep up to the rigours of the Canucks travel schedule, I think he could put similar numbers to what Doan could here, and it would only be 1 year, no stupid term at a high cap hit.

I think we'd probably have to do a bit better, (maybe 2 yrs) but yes, I don't think you're far off...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#390 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

I think we'd probably have to do a bit better, (maybe 2 yrs) but yes, I don't think you're far off...

If I had to go 2 years term, I'd drop to a 2 year 5.5 deal, 2.75 cap hit. Still manageable and not that bad if he retires at years end

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.