1823 replies to this topic

#421 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

We've never even been close to doing that.

I do know however, that a new CBA is being negotiated and it's highly unlikely that these Cap circumventing deals will remain viable.

I remain "sure" that we don't want to be on the hook for 5 million dollars of Cap for a player that doesn't even play for us....

Actually we have been like that before. In the 80's Canucks barely got enough ppl to the Pacific Coleseum. They almost moved as they were struggling to pay the salaries.

Obviously times have changed and I don't see the Canucks struggling to make the cap floor unless there is a massive slowdown in our economy.

#422 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

don't be so sure ... In 4 years we might be struggling to rich the floor.

If we're struggling to make the floor then so is the rest of the league since the other teams have roughly the same payroll or lower as us.

many players play into thier 40's now and Doan can and will.I do not get how people saying over 35 is bad to pay a guy what he is worth!I am 39 and that is me in my picture so age doesnt matter till you hit about 40.If we can pay him till then I would sure do it in a heart beat and all you nah sayers that say hes to old after we win a cup with him and Luo gone I will laugh so hard and loud.The olympic games dont have 30 plus players unless its like hockey and basketball as most sports in the games are only for the olympics otherwise you'd have way more!

Doan can play into his 40's but will he be worth 7.5 million in his 40's? No chance. Plus, he's not even worth 7.5 million now at 35.

Why does anyone worry about being on the hook for a contract??Doan will only sign where he feels like he will retire and doing so he wont hurt a team as it will be his last.He doesnt want to leave but I see him leaving the Coyoties as who knows where they will be.Signing with a new team he will get the years he wants and then retire not before!!Doan is not like that!!

You can never guarrantee that a player nearing his 40's will or can play out the rest of a multi-year contract. Circumstances change, things happen.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#423 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,525 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

POPULAR

If we were willing to shell out for a player with a multi-year, 7 mil cap hit, I would rather have traded Lu for Vincent Lecavalier.

32 year-old Lecavalier > 36 year-old Doan

...and I imagine it will be even more pronounced when Doan is 37, 38, and 39 (while Vinny 33, 34, and 35). Right after that is when Vinny's contract starts declining.
Posted Image

#424 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

7.5 mill per season for 4 years is too much for Doan. That's ridiculous.

I wanted Doan as much as the next guy, probably even more so, but not at that price. That would be a bad deal if Gillis went through with it.

I agree with D-Money, 32 Lecavalier > 36 Doan.

#425 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,765 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Today is the deadline for the Phoenix ownership situation right?? So by the weekend we WILL have an decision or what?!??!

#426 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

There were these exact same $$ rumors surrounding Garrison before he signed with Van.

There are only a few forwards in the league worth more than the Sedins, and Doan ain't one of em. There is too much uncertainty with the new CBA and cap, it's to risky to give him term and $$. I just hope the rumors aren't true.

#427 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Today is the deadline for the Phoenix ownership situation right?? So by the weekend we WILL have an decision or what?!??!

My understanding is he gave the deadline to Phoenix for today and now he will start considering other offers, not timeline was set for making a decision.

#428 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Kukla's Korner .com@kuklaskorner

Just in case you are waiting for news, Phoenix Business Journal reporting Doan/Jamison mtg. may not happen until late Friday evening. 1/2

#429 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Considering the $'s being rumoured, I'd go with Arnott!

#430 The Läck Ness Monster

The Läck Ness Monster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

If we were willing to shell out for a player with a multi-year, 7 mil cap hit, I would rather have traded Lu for Vincent Lecavalier.

...and I imagine it will be even more pronounced when Doan is 37, 38, and 39 (while Vinny 33, 34, and 35). Right after that is when Vinny's contract starts declining.

Part of me actually wishes that trade happened. Great leader, sized and skilled, and we can move Kes to the wing.

#431 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Part of me actually wishes that trade happened. Great leader, sized and skilled, and we can move Kes to the wing.

Ya I like Lecavlier, hes a great player. Wasnt that long ago he put up 92 points...and he is only 32

#432 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

David Shoalts@dshoalts

No word yet from Greg Jamison, which is not good for Phoenix Coyotes fans. Shane Doan's agent says they never demanded 4yrs, $30-million.

Sarah McLellan@azc_mclellan

As of 7 p.m. PST, Doan has still not heard from Greg Jamison, according to his agent Terry Bross.

Edited by RunningWild, 27 July 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#433 Biasbieksa

Biasbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

I knew it. it was bs

#434 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Doubt they offer 7mil per for that term it's ridiculous, I know he brings more to the table then numbers but he's a 50-60 point second liner not a superstar.

#435 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

18 for 3 years MAX.
14-16 for 3 is more reasonable.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#436 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,797 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Might be on to something there. Haven't visited that option for awhile but is solves the second line a bit.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#437 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

You know...id almost forgotten about Vinny....yeah ld go for that for sure.

#438 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

You know...id almost forgotten about Vinny....yeah ld go for that for sure.

Lu has more value than Vinny.
Vinny's contract is worst, he hasn't been an all star since 2008, point totals are down, -47 in the last 4 years. Unless TB adds more in a bigger package, no thanks. I'm a Vinny fan too.

#439 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Vinny's contract is worst, he hasn't been an all star since 2008, point totals are down, -47 in the last 4 years. Unless TB adds more in a bigger package, no thanks. I'm a Vinny fan too.

well its all about a change of scenery. Plus Coach V knows how to motivate haha. Based on yearly cap hit...its something to think about.

#440 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

Why not rock both? ;-) (PS This is a JOKE. Don't take me seriously)

Lu + Ballard to Tampa for Vinny + Brian Lee (Almost even cap hits)
Raymond to Jupiter for future considerations (whatever)
Sign Doan

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Shane Doan ($4.550m)
Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / David Booth ($4.250m)
Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)
Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m)
Dale Weise ($0.615m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Brian Lee ($1.150m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.660m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,047,273; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $152,727

Posted Image
Formerly Hockeyfans101/Lapierre's Gawk

Thank you for the badass sig, Insom-

#441 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

He must really be impatient by now!

#442 JustNazzy

JustNazzy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Why not rock both? ;-) (PS This is a JOKE. Don't take me seriously)

Lu + Ballard to Tampa for Vinny + Brian Lee (Almost even cap hits)
Raymond to Jupiter for future considerations (whatever)
Sign Doan

... and a nice letter to the state of Florida thanking them for the loaners. Unfortunately we were unable to return them to their original location. lol
Posted Image

I believe Mke Gillis is going to argue at the next NHL board of governors meeting for a 59 minute game.

#443 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,201 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

I agree sampy. Luongo has more value than Lecavalier.
I wouldn't sign Lecavalier to his contract if he were a UFA, let alone give up a marquis asset like Luongo - on top of his 7.7 million cap hit (his salary is actually 10 million for the next four years, 8.5 the year after and then tails off - like his production already has).
He and Doan have similar offensive numbers the last few years, but Doan is a much, much more 'physical' player - and I highly doubt the Canucks would consider offering more than the Sedins 6.1 - so if he does sign with Vancouver, he's be a better value than Lecavalier in both senses.

#444 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

I agree sampy. Luongo has more value than Lecavalier.
I wouldn't sign Lecavalier to his contract if he were a UFA, let alone give up a marquis asset like Luongo - on top of his 7.7 million cap hit (his salary is actually 10 million for the next four years, 8.5 the year after and then tails off - like his production already has).
He and Doan have similar offensive numbers the last few years, but Doan is a much, much more 'physical' player - and I highly doubt the Canucks would consider offering more than the Sedins 6.1 - so if he does sign with Vancouver, he's be a better value than Lecavalier in both senses.

The gamble with Vinnie is whether a move would revitalize his game. As you said his physical game is not there. No way to that deal, something else would have to be thrown in.

If the $30 M for Doan is accurate it is probably a deal breaker, I doubt this is accurate. Doan is a vet he knows how important team chemistry is and would be sensitive to what a high cost contract would mean in the dressing room. Obviously if he moves it is to get that real shot at the CUP which Van a few other teams could offer. He is a 50 point man so the offence is not the deal maker it is the leadership and physical aspect. I can possibly see a 3 year deal with an option but the price has to be in the $5.5 to $6 mil range. They could even structure a deal that would allow Doan to move before his contract was up. ie Van wins the CUP within 2 years and Doan options to move back to PHX if they are still there and they want him back.

#445 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

There have been reports from doans agents mouth saying that the supposed 4 year 30 million deal was NOT true, It happened a while ago. Im not sure why you are all still hung up on doan demanding 4 year 30 million since it is far from true, Im not saying he wont sign that contract, but what i am saying is it never happened, and that is NOT the bargaining point and nor will it be.

Posted Image

#446 The Architect

The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

might be late to the party but...

If there is alockout, Doan will be 37 by the time the next season rolls around :S
Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#447 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

There have been reports from doans agents mouth saying that the supposed 4 year 30 million deal was NOT true, It happened a while ago. Im not sure why you are all still hung up on doan demanding 4 year 30 million since it is far from true, Im not saying he wont sign that contract, but what i am saying is it never happened, and that is NOT the bargaining point and nor will it be.

I agree that it doesn't sound like something Doan would do. However, that doesn't mean that someone like Holmgren or Slats won't throw a number like that out there. (I wouldn't count out Regier, either)

Again, I don't believe money is the only factor influencing the decision, but with the new CBA pending and Doan nearing the end of his career, a four year deal with a 50% pay raise to go play for a team with a legit shot at a Cup and a much easier travel schedule, would have to look pretty enticing...

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 28 July 2012 - 02:22 PM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#448 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

One would think if Doan would like to have a taste of NHL success he would want out of that franchise. In Doans 14 year career he has played 55 total playoff games and been past the 1st round once.
Doan on the Canucks would be a much better likelyhood of success. He could join the Pens who would give him a shot at a cup as well, but Doan would probably be much more of contributer on the Canucks than with the Pens.

#449 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins are preparing to offer Shane Doan a 4 year, 24 million dollar contract. He would make $6,000,000 per season.

#450 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

If Doan decides Phoenix is a dead issue, I believe Vancouver would be his next choice, but as has been stated already, I too feel that there are a couple of other teams out there that would overpay to gain his services. As the two that I'm thinking of are also cup contenders, I feel that if he wants to play in Vancouver, It's going to be more of a family choice and not so much of a financial one.

If MG balances his offer with the Sedins salary, Doan at max should be offered about 5.5 mil a season with the term being a determining factor in this number dropping, in anticipation of production dropping in later years of the deal. One thing, I think can be said, is that MG will not overpay for a slightly above average player. Yes he brings physical play, and yes he can provide more leadership but at the end of the day he is entering the twilight of his career and to be locked in at 5-5.5 mil a year till he's 40 or 41 would be risky, especially given his playing style.

Don't get me wrong; I would love to see Doan in Vancouver colors this upcoming season. I think he could be the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, but only at a fair price. If a Doan deal can't get done, I feal MG will move forward with the Lou deal with a premier second line winger or another big defenceman in mind or maybe both and I, personally would be good with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.