The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Im never one to reply or post in fact this may be my second post of all time Im not entirely sure but you can all take this with a grain of salt. Today is the Kamloops Blazers Alumni Golf Tournament and ofcourse Shane Doan is attending. This is obviously not ground breaking news. The interesting tidbit is that Mike Gillis is partaking in the tournament and supposedly as a guest of Shane Doans. Again read into it what you like. It may mean nothing at all or could be something to look forward to. Just a little something to add to the discussion.

Im never one to reply or post in fact this may be my second post of all time Im not entirely sure but you can all take this with a grain of salt. Today is the Kamloops Blazers Alumni Golf Tournament and ofcourse Shane Doan is attending. This is obviously not ground breaking news. The interesting tidbit is that Mike Gillis is partaking in the tournament and supposedly as a guest of Shane Doans. Again read into it what you like. It may mean nothing at all or could be something to look forward to. Just a little something to add to the discussion.

Doan's price will be more than $6 million per year on a 4 or more year term. He will get grossly overpaid as most UFA's do. Paying this high a price for a 35+ player on a multi year deal is not a good idea.

I do not think Canucks will be announcing the signing of Shane Doan any time soon. MG will not and should not offer the type of money and term other teams will be willing to offer.

I really think Doan will take time to sign with any team i he doesnt return to the coyoties.MG does know players well and knows how to talk to them,so this could be a betterchance for us to get Doan.People saying dont give him more then he is worth,I think after siging Doan and trading luo will give us a shot in the arm we need as I have said we have 3 years max to win a cup with our core players,so MG knows this and knows older players like doan HELP th team as Sundin did in his short time here!!If getting a cup or closer by siging Doan isnt worth it to you , for people like me that have followed the Canucks for 35 plus years want players like Doan on this team even if he is a bit overpaid!

I really think Doan will take time to sign with any team i he doesnt return to the coyoties.MG does know players well and knows how to talk to them,so this could be a betterchance for us to get Doan.People saying dont give him more then he is worth,I think after siging Doan and trading luo will give us a shot in the arm we need as I have said we have 3 years max to win a cup with our core players,so MG knows this and knows older players like doan HELP th team as Sundin did in his short time here!!If getting a cup or closer by siging Doan isnt worth it to you , for people like me that have followed the Canucks for 35 plus years want players like Doan on this team even if he is a bit overpaid!

Doans looking for the contract that will take him into retirement, who in their right mind wouldn't want to cash in?

Would you take 5 M per year to play on the Canucks? Or take 7.5 M per to play on a different stanley cup contender? The answer is obvious.

People who think he will take a pay cut to play on a good team are dreaming, you know there are good teams out there offering close to 7 M per year over 4 years.

I don't get how people don't think we can get Doan as kesler is'nt going to be on the books,we have 3 mill to get players and trading Luo will get it done!MG loves players like Doan and Doan himself knows how good of a team we have.Doan wants a cup and so do we so we have to be in his top 2 teams to sign with the other is the Coyoties.We might have to make a couple other trades to make it happen like Raymond and Ballard or whomever but we can go 10% over the cap till season starts which again makes it possible!Leadership is hard to fin and Doan is a grade A leader making him worth what he wants on a great team.

Hmm, Doan at $7.5 million per...

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Shane Doan ($7.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $75,268,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (24-man roster):- $5,068,333

(No, I didn't set pairings or lines)

Doan in at that price would mean that Luongo would have to be traded sooner rather than waiting until sometime around X-Mas. Gillis would also have to move some pieces in order to hold on to guys like Edler (et al) who have contracts coming due for next season.

The Doan dream would be done.

regards,

G.

Archived