1823 replies to this topic

#511 Great Save Luongo!!!

Great Save Luongo!!!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

So if Doaner does sign here (Not saying he will, nor am I expecting him to) what number will he wear?
Posted Image

#512 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

So if Doaner does sign here (Not saying he will, nor am I expecting him to) what number will he wear?

#30 for the $30 million it will cost to sign this over rated player.

Edited by WHL rocks, 30 July 2012 - 01:34 AM.

#513 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

dp

Edited by WHL rocks, 30 July 2012 - 01:34 AM.

#514 Gz

Gz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

#30 for the $30 million it will cost to sign this over rated player.

Anyone who believes he'll get that much is crazy, or at least as crazy as the GM wanting to sign him to it. Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous how much people are buying into this "4 year/$30 mil 'report'" that's floating around? At the start of the '12-'13 season he'll be 36. That, as well as the CBA uncertainty... It's just silly to think anyone in their right mind would say, "This is our offer. WE NEED YOUR 60 POINTS/SEASON THAT WILL ONLY DECLINE."

Then again, I've had a "few" JD lemonades and have been watching House a lot lately. Maybe I'm just being an arrogant jerk.

Edited by Gz, 30 July 2012 - 02:04 AM.

totally agree although i wouldnt have minded jvr in a 3 way.

Context, people, context.

#515 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

It's interesting that Bergevin stated "theres no way i'm buying out Gomez", and now he's doing just that.

(This is the article i'm referring to) - Bergevin saying he won't buy Gomez out: http://www.sportsnet...real_canadiens/

Bergevin expected to buy Gomez out:
http://www.sportsnet...real_canadiens/

I doubt Bergevin goes back on his word unless he's got something like Doan lined up.

Seriously? No way that the Habs were keeping a guy who CANNOT score! What a disaster trade.

I would be absolutely shocked to see Doan in Montreal. Not happening.

#516 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

<p><p>

There are only a few forwards in the league worth more than the Sedins, and Doan ain't one of em. There is too much uncertainty with the new CBA and cap, it's to risky to give him term and $$. I just hope the rumors aren't true.

Sedins signed that contract before they really broke out. People were still questioning if they were true 1st liners. You can't get a truly elite player for 6.1 or less.

That said, 36-year-old-and-up Doan is not going to be "truly elite", so I wouldn't pay him that anyways.

Edited by D-Money, 30 July 2012 - 08:33 AM.

Posted Image

#517 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

It's interesting that Bergevin stated "theres no way i'm buying out Gomez", and now he's doing just that.

(This is the article i'm referring to) - Bergevin saying he won't buy Gomez out: http://www.sportsnet...real_canadiens/

Bergevin expected to buy Gomez out:
http://www.sportsnet...real_canadiens/

I doubt Bergevin goes back on his word unless he's got something like Doan lined up.

I don't suppose anyone noticed that article is from May 2nd. The only way Montreal buys out Gomez is if there is an amnesty clause in the new CB. Otherwise he'll either be with the team or in Hamilton. Either way that report has no bearing ib the Doan situation

#518 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

For the Canucks to bring in anyone new over the age of 35, they would have to be of Doan quality or better. I am all for acquiring Doan, but the pricetag is the question. At 4 years 30million, I would most certainly pass....at 3 years 20 million, i may go for it..but that is my ceiling both in term and total cap hit: 6.66m

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#519 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Take a frickin chance. The amount of money we have wasted on other players, giving Doan $6m, $6.5 or $7m doesn't seem all that bad. Seriously, $3.5m salary and $3.5 signing on fee each year for 3 years. Come on we gave Sundin a stupid amount of money and I would say Doan will give more to the team than Sundin ever would.

Are you frickin kidding me? Shane Doan will offer more than a 6'5" beast center, 1st ballot hall-of-famer? Doan's career high was 31 goals - Mats scored at least that 13 times.

Doan - 1,198GP, 318G, 470A, 788Pts
Sundin - 1346GP, 564G, 785A, 1349Pts

As much as Sundin obviously lost a step when he took time off before coming to Vancouver, he was still on pace to produce more than Doan did last year.
Posted Image

#520 Not Alain Vigneault

Not Alain Vigneault

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

I expect a signing this week. No sources but my personal speculation.

How's Thursday sound?

#521 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Lu has more value than Vinny.
Vinny's contract is worst, he hasn't been an all star since 2008, point totals are down, -47 in the last 4 years. Unless TB adds more in a bigger package, no thanks. I'm a Vinny fan too.

Vinny has been playing 2nd line duty, and most of the hard match-ups, because Stamkos has taken over as the 1st line offensive dynamo.

This thread has been pumping Doan, but he only had 1 point more than Lecavalier, despite playing 15 more games, as a definite 1st liner. Also, Doan was a -8 on a solid playoff team, while Vinny was a -2 on a basement dweller.

They both helped lead their teams to unforeseen runs to the conference finals in successive years. Their stats for those playoffs:

Doan - 16GP, 5G, 4A, 9Pts, +2
Lecavalier - 18GP, 6G, 13A, 19Pts, +6

Doan was good this playoffs, but nowhere near as good as Vinny was last year.

Doan does provide some defensive attributes that are superior to Lecavalier. He outhits Vinny 2-to-1. But Lecavalier will likely not drop off as much over the next few years as Shane will, both due to age and playing style.

Both are great players, and having them on the team would bring us up a huge notch. But I would take Vinny, given the choice. And our team with Lecavalier and Kesler on our 2nd line would be far superior than without Vinny and Roberto on the bench.
Posted Image

#522 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

David Shoalts from the Globe and Mail says that the Coyotes "should learn today if Shane Doan has run out of patience..." Article here: Globe and Mail.

I believe Shoalts was the reporter who claimed Doan was "demanding" $30 million over four years, which was later shot down by Doan's agent, so take this for what it's worth.

Edited by CanucksWino, 30 July 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#523 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Doan is very lucky that there is absolutly nobody else available. If he had any competition there is no way he would get these numbers. Would love to see him on the nucks but don't want him at the numbers talked about. If nucks sign him for more then 6million per year these sames guys on CDC that want him so bad will be asking for Gillis's head. Rather have the cap money for next year where the UFA class is stellar.

#524 Bertuzzipunch

Bertuzzipunch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

<p><p>

Sedins signed that contract before they really broke out. People were still questioning if they were true 1st liners. You can't get a truly elite player for 6.1 or less.

That said, 36-year-old-and-up Doan is not going to be "truly elite", so I wouldn't pay him that anyways.

Only complete and utter fools believed the sedins were not first liners when they signed that contract. The maple leafs and Burke would gladly have given each of them over 7 mill per if they made it to UFA which is what they shouldve recieved if truth be told.

Tell me 2 other players getting over 80 points per season are looked at as 2nd line NHlers.

Posted Image

#525 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Are you frickin kidding me? Shane Doan will offer more than a 6'5" beast center, 1st ballot hall-of-famer? Doan's career high was 31 goals - Mats scored at least that 13 times.

Doan - 1,198GP, 318G, 470A, 788Pts
Sundin - 1346GP, 564G, 785A, 1349Pts

As much as Sundin obviously lost a step when he took time off before coming to Vancouver, he was still on pace to produce more than Doan did last year.

Sundin came in half way through the season... basically he was getting ready for the playoffs - and in that Chicago series he was one of the best Canucks...

#526 nuck7635

nuck7635

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

How is anybody knocking Sundin??
Kesler playing on a line with him and Demitra was literally the best thing for his career to date.
For the Sedins, they learned from the way he handled himself and got advice from him.

I don't know about anybody here but I loved watching games that season, the RPM line was fun to watch.

#527 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

The economics behind the Yotes sale blow me away. They aren't there. Cities in the USA are now going bankrupt. Detroit has been bankrupt for some time and the state threatens to assume management. 3 cities in California are now under. PHX has how many vacant houses since the boom collapsed? How many households are not paying their property taxes? I suspect the only reason the existing City council even considered the deal with the Yotes lease was that they were potentially losing more without a tenant. Sending good money after bad wears a bit thin to the average citizen.

With the pending debt crisis edging closer not only will citizens turn this deal down in PHX but investors with Jamieson will scatter. Any business manager in his right mind would be councilling Shane Doan to run too.

#528 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

C'mon Doan, if you really are impatient, sign today with us!!! You'll be a God here but if you don't sign, you can pack up and go away you piece of crap :lol:

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#529 cool story bro

cool story bro

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

C'mon Doan, if you really are impatient, sign today with us!!! You'll be a God here but if you don't sign, you can pack up and go away you piece of crap :lol:

What a stupid thing to say, you piece of crap.
Posted Image

#530 canucks411

canucks411

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

David Shoalts from the Globe and Mail says that the Coyotes "should learn today if Shane Doan has run out of patience..." Article here: Globe and Mail.

I believe Shoalts was the reporter who claimed Doan was "demanding" $30 million over four years, which was later shot down by Doan's agent, so take this for what it's worth.

He may have started that rumor, BUT his last globe and mail article "Doan payin the price" he said Bross or Doan did NOT make any specific demands

Posted Image
Thanks Ballard_4 for the sig!

#531 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

What a stupid thing to say, you piece of crap.

no sense of humour...we see.

#532 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Or, a differing opinion on what is humourous....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#533 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

SO Jamison is $20 million short of buying the Coyotes...is there any way Doan still stays? I don't care where he goes...but the dude deserves a better team at this point, in my opinion at least.

#534 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

SO Jamison is $20 million short of buying the Coyotes...is there any way Doan still stays? I don't care where he goes...but the dude deserves a better team at this point, in my opinion at least.

He's far more than $20M short!

He needs to find partners that are willing to anti-up the acquisition cost of $20M with the understanding that they will not only receive no return on their icapital but, they will also have to pony up additional cash every year to cover the inevitable losses incurred by the Yotes (kind of like earning -20% on your investment).

In other words...Jamison needs to find someone with far more $$ than brains or someone so enamoured with owning an NHL franchise, the economics of the deal don't matter.

If (and it's a big "if") he manages to bring together a deal, it is very likely it will collapse within a couple short years and this entire scenario will be repeated.

From Doan's perspective there is the added reality that it is highly unlikely the Yotes will be anything but a minimum cap team because fo their financial reality. This means, not only will he likely have to take a discount to stay there, he will likely play out the balance of his career on a non-contending team of average NHLers.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 30 July 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#535 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Shane Doan's heart in Phoenix, not sure about his head:

Shane Doan’s heart remains in Phoenix but you have to wonder about his head.

As expected, the unrestricted free agent continues to say all the right things about his fondness for the Coyotes franchise and his sense of loyalty has never been questioned. His first priority has always been to remain in the desert. But instability of ownership and just where prospective owner Greg Jamison stands with his financial commitment continues to cloud the picture because he’s reportedly $20 million US short in required funds to complete the purchase. As many as 16 teams have kicked the tires on Doan and at least six — including the Vancouver Canucks — have shown serious interest in the 35-year-old winger, who could command as much as $30 million in a four-year deal. That sticker price shocked the Detroit Red Wings right out of the bidding and the Canucks would probably need to move a contract — the one-year, $2.275 million tag on Mason Raymond would draw some attention — to knock down the salary cap hit, regardless of what the ceiling would be in the new collective bargaining agreement.

Doan was scheduled to be in Montreal this week to meet with the Canadiens, who are showing the same kind of serious interest as the Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers and New York Rangers. Doan earned $4.55 million last season for 22 goals and 50 points last season, but his five goals and nine points in 16 playoff games — and a career 28 points (15-13) in 55 postseason games – are the type of performance, reliability and durability that have several suitors salivating of Doan’s ability to help put them over the top. The fact he turns 36 in October doesn’t seem to be an issue because his presence is as strong on the ice as it is in the room. And what he would mean to the Canucks is obvious.

Regardless, Doan has maintained hope to remain in Phoenix, but his admiration for the front office can’t hide the fact that the franchise is a financial mess in suburban Glendale.

“We’ve talked,” Doan told Kamloops radio station CHNL. “[General manager] Don Maloney and [coach] Dave Tippett have been great. Their hands are pretty much right tied now with the fact that I kind of want to have a little bit more stability than what is there. The reason I want to go back is because of management and the way they’ve kind of set our team up.”

However, the Coyotes’ future remains so murky that the Phoenix Business Journal reported that a candidate for the Glendale mayoral race is calling out Jamison to come clean with his finances. Arizona Rep. Jerry Weiers, R-Glendale, and other mayoral candidates oppose the city’s $300 million, 20-year arena deal with Jamison that would help him purchase the team. Here is what Weiers wrote to Jamison:

Dear Mr. Jamison,

“My name is Jerry Weiers. I am a long-time Glendale resident and a candidate for Glendale Mayor. Most importantly, I am a concerned Glendale resident. In a split vote, the Glendale City Council put our city’s reputation and financial health on the line when it voted to approve a $324 million lease agreement along with hikes in sales and property taxes to keep the Coyotes from leaving Glendale. They did so, in large part, based on your promises as a potential buyer.

Team captain Shane Doan would like to negotiate with other teams if he doesn’t get a straight answer. Apparently, he hasn’t received a straight answer from you. Many fans are hoping he will. Either way, another constituency awaits answers too: Glendale citizens. As with Shane Doan, they deserve respect. Now.

Everyone would like the Coyotes to stay in Glendale, but at what cost? Whether one is for or against it, it is indecent of you not to brief the very taxpayers you intend to take $324 million from.

The time for guessing is over. The time for truth is now. With respect Mr. Jamison, you either have the means and the resources to live up to your promises or you don’t. While I disagree with the lease agreement and the tax hikes, I think those who voted for those controversial measures deserve some straight answers. More importantly, I think the residents of Glendale deserve some straight answers. The sales tax hike is days away from going into effect to bankroll the lease agreement. You have an obligation to let the taxpayers know if you are able to live up to your end of the bargain and keep the Coyotes in our city. If not, you should step out of the way and allow our city to begin a search for an alternative.”

http://www.theprovin..._medium=twitter

307mg00.jpg

#536 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Here's a good Doan read. Some of you thinking with your hearts and not your heads should consider some of the facts regarding Doan and Phoenix.

http://nhl-red-light...?sct=nhl_t11_a0

#537 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Coyotes free agent Shane Doan talks with potential buyer Greg Jamison

L.A. Lariviere@L_A_theRiver

I can confirm that Doan had a conversation with Jamison on Saturday concerning #Coyotes future. Jamison asked for more time and less "noise"

Edited by RunningWild, 30 July 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#538 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

At least you got the sarcasm behind the post lol.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#539 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

He's going to stay with the Coyotes, quote me on it. I can't help but feel he's using his "interest" in other teams as an extra hand to try and force Jamison and Co. to speed up with the purchase.

#540 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

What a stupid post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.